Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions 2022.20.15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More cameras, higher resolution cameras and faster processors/memory. I am now testing and see improvements and issues that seem to be more compute-bound and imagery-bound than I have seen in past versions. They better not wait months again to release or this brand may suffer.
Just curious, is there another brand out there even remotely in the same ballpark?

Reactions: momo3605
Just curious, is there another brand out there even remotely in the same ballpark?
There are a few Chinese auto manufacturers that are releasing cars with impressive sensor packages (NIO is one that comes to mind immediately), claiming they will have L2-L4 capabilities.

In the US, the only real ADAS systems that seem to compete are alternatives to Autopilot - adaptive cruise control with lane keeping and some lane changing. I have not seen anyone doing NoA yet, but that may be coming soon as basic lane changing is being added to some of the systems.

There are a few Chinese auto manufacturers that are releasing cars with impressive sensor packages (NIO is one that comes to mind immediately), claiming they will have L2-L4 capabilities.

In the US, the only real ADAS systems that seem to compete are alternatives to Autopilot - adaptive cruise control with lane keeping and some lane changing. I have not seen anyone doing NoA yet, but that may be coming soon as basic lane changing is being added to some of the systems.
If you can scroll past the hype, the very faint and small fine print. Number 2 and 3 tell you that the car is only L2 and maybe someday will be something else:

*1 This is the basic information about the NIO Autonomous Driving (NAD). With NIO’s continuous improvement of its products, some detailed configurations, features, and data may be updated accordingly. The product information of the actual vehicle shall prevail.
*2 NAD in the description is designed for driver assistance purposes only and cannot fully replace driver’s control or handle all possible traffic, weather, and road conditions. The driver must maintain attention as necessary and interfere or take over the control promptly based on the surrounding environment. NAD should be used with caution in complex traffic, bad weather, or special road conditions.
*3 Some of the features may not be available immediately when the vehicle is delivered. These features will gradually be made available via Firmware-Over-The-Air.

If you can scroll past the hype, the very faint and small fine print. Number 2 and 3 tell you that the car is only L2 and maybe someday will be something else:

*1 This is the basic information about the NIO Autonomous Driving (NAD). With NIO’s continuous improvement of its products, some detailed configurations, features, and data may be updated accordingly. The product information of the actual vehicle shall prevail.
*2 NAD in the description is designed for driver assistance purposes only and cannot fully replace driver’s control or handle all possible traffic, weather, and road conditions. The driver must maintain attention as necessary and interfere or take over the control promptly based on the surrounding environment. NAD should be used with caution in complex traffic, bad weather, or special road conditions.
*3 Some of the features may not be available immediately when the vehicle is delivered. These features will gradually be made available via Firmware-Over-The-Air.
Indeed, hence my use of the words "claiming" and "will have". I've read that NIO is in early testing of NAD in Europe right now, so at least they're starting their run. A few years behind, but we'll see how they catch up.

I only know what I have and so far further testing shows good progress but the compute and imaging issues I suspect are contributing factors in my scenarios, could be resolved with architectural changes. I am not sure that other changes can address physics (seeing through and around objects because cameras may be occluded). The nose of my MY22 can “see” certain aspects and the side pillar cameras can as well but I would think the camera placement will resolve my issues. Of course it will not happen but it is fun to wish sometimes!

The other testing I did today indicate a big improvement in many steering wheel smoothness in motion. The car hates construction zones though, which is to be expected. As long as it does not take another 3+ months for an update, we will see great improvements for many issues.

I only know what I have and so far further testing shows good progress but the compute and imaging issues I suspect are contributing factors in my scenarios, could be resolved with architectural changes. I am not sure that other changes can address physics (seeing through and around objects because cameras may be occluded). The nose of my MY22 can “see” certain aspects and the side pillar cameras can as well but I would think the camera placement will resolve my issues. Of course it will not happen but it is fun to wish sometimes!

The other testing I did today indicate a big improvement in many steering wheel smoothness in motion. The car hates construction zones though, which is to be expected. As long as it does not take another 3+ months for an update, we will see great improvements for many issues.
It it likely will (be another 3+ month wait), given their 2022 track record. Pretty lame - this and continuing to have people do the “safety dance” when they have no intent on adding new testers. They do this just to collect data in every state for their insurance program. Also lame.

Couldn't wait so did a quick trip at work. Lane and route choosing still sub-optimal to farcical. It picked the route that requires a right turn followed by three quick lane changes to get in a left turn lane. Alas, after a pretty smooth right turn it started a lane change to the right! So, I aborted that and hit the camera button.

Better news on the return trip. There is a left turn at a light and . . . . it was fine, I didn't have to yank control back from it. I think that's the first time with traffic around I've been able to let it complete a left turn. It's always been so jerky, drunken, and slow that I've had to take over to keep it from totally confusing and pissing off other traffic. Now, other than being a bit slower than I would go, it made a nice smooth turn.

So, a mixed bag and that small sample.
More of the same on a different right turn followed by a bunch of left lane changes to get in a left turn lane. It could have made it but it dicked around and then at the last minute was going to dive into the left turn although it wasn't yet in the left turn lane. I aborted out of that. Alas, I had to drive down a long way to be able to turn around and come back, but I digress.

No improvement at all on phantom braking. The sames spots still trip it up. OTOH all the spots are on freeways; so, the pre-FSDb Autopilot is still handling it. My PB problems won't improve until the V11 merge.

The actual turn execution is better. There's an exit I take where the ramp leads to a controlled left to get onto the perpendicular non-freeway road. The leftmost lane on the new road is actually a left turn lane to get back on the freeway. Previously, it was weave back and forth and end up in the turn lane. Now, it smoothly turns into the correct thru-lane. Also on this turn, immediately after the left turn lane I mentioned, the thru lane splits into a thru lane and another left turn lane (to get on the freeway access road.) There is no line to indicate the lane splitting. Previously the FSD would veer off to the left into the turn lane. The new version stays smoothly in the thru lane.

So, definitely some improvement, but still a long long way to go. Any EM claim of "feature complete" the the end of the year is more a$$ smoke.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Big change for me - the discharging/charging line is thicker, easier to see.

That shows you how little else impressive has happened.

Crossing traffic well in the distance still causes a hard braking action.
One left turn is handled better than in the past.
Too slow reducing speed when speed limit drops.
Keeps moving me out of the right lane when it is where I should be, ie with two or three lanes in my direction.

However my consumption has changed radically, dropped from about 250 to 220 on a run I do every day. I also had the car in for service, just replacing sensors, so who knows why?

Early days - still

Last edited:
More of the same on a different right turn followed by a bunch of left lane changes to get in a left turn lane. It could have made it but it dicked around and then at the last minute was going to dive into the left turn although it wasn't yet in the left turn lane. I aborted out of that. Alas, I had to drive down a long way to be able to turn around and come back, but I digress.

No improvement at all on phantom braking. The sames spots still trip it up. OTOH all the spots are on freeways; so, the pre-FSDb Autopilot is still handling it. My PB problems won't improve until the V11 merge.

The actual turn execution is better. There's an exit I take where the ramp leads to a controlled left to get onto the perpendicular non-freeway road. The leftmost lane on the new road is actually a left turn lane to get back on the freeway. Previously, it was weave back and forth and end up in the turn lane. Now, it smoothly turns into the correct thru-lane. Also on this turn, immediately after the left turn lane I mentioned, the thru lane splits into a thru lane and another left turn lane (to get on the freeway access road.) There is no line to indicate the lane splitting. Previously the FSD would veer off to the left into the turn lane. The new version stays smoothly in the thru lane.

So, definitely some improvement, but still a long long way to go. Any EM claim of "feature complete" the the end of the year is more a$$ smoke.

EM, as he has done in the past, will just redefine FSD to avoid being a blatant liar. He rescinded “FSD” several times already. Started out as a feature complete L5 autonomous ayat with revenue generating robotaxis for all! 🤣

Seems like the brand will only suffer if a competitor releases a better product. Does anyone think that is going to happen within the the next two years? (And where will Tesla be by then..?)

Big downgrade for me so far. On narrow roads near my home, it slows to 25mph or less whenever a car is approaching. I seem to be hitting the camera icon nonstop. Big change from the order of magnitude improvement Elon suggested. Or did he?
There have been many people reporting this, especially in residential roads. There are supposedly two more minor updates coming soon for .69.

I haven't noticed that but I will be on the look out. What I have noticed is that it isn't reliable for setting the speed per the posted speed limit signs. One in my town is posted 25 mph until just past the police station. However, mine continues to accelerate to 40 mph about 1000 ft. before it reaches the sign that increases the posted speed to 40 mph and wants to sail past the police station at that new (and illegal) speed. I have to intervene every time to slow it back down. Also, there's a several mile stretch of highway nearby that is posted at 65 the full length. My car now slows down to 45 mph and won't go to 65 unless I turn off FSD. No reason for this. That highway is posted 65 mph and always has been, not a 45 mph sign in sight.
Anyone else notice that when turning from one street to another, it reverts to 25 MH until it sees a new speed limit sign? In the mean time, the people behind you are up your a*s wondering what the heck you're doing...

Minimal improvement for me. Misses speed limit signs, interprets minimum speed sign as speed limit, slows too quickly at stop lights, reacts slowly when speed limit is reduced, more hesitant on some unprotected Left turns, entered traffic circle too soon cutting off on coming car and most importantly accelerates rather than slows when approaching my community gate (very dangerous). The latter despite my pressing the report button > 30 times hoping to get it remedied!
One improvement is that it no longer tries to make a certain right turn prematurely, which mandated a very quick cancellation to prevent accident. Definitely not ready for mass adoption. Changes coming very slowly. Some errors are quite dangerous. So herky, jerky that my wife gets motion sickness and insists that I don't use it when she is in car.
Agree with all that. In addition, on my route home there is an intersection with a stop sign onto which I make a right turn to get on my home street. The car not only doesn't slow down and stop for this stop sign. It speeds up and tries to fly right through it! (I know because I let it start and then intervene.) This is incredibly dangerous and inexplicable. I've also pressed the report button every time for several software versions with no change.