Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions and new MYLR road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of Saphira on July 30th and took a 1,400 mile road trips five days later. Here are some impressions and notes.

First: great car! I am very happy with my purchase. After reading posts here for nine months I was half-prepared to hate the car. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is a really great car.

Fit and finish:
Exterior was perfect, with no panel gaps and no paint problems. Interior I had a rearview mirror rattle, I couldn't set the glovebox PIN, and the mobile connector kit was missing. These were all remedied on a visit to the service center.

Ride / Suspension:
I have the 19" wheels. I have no issues with the suspension harshness. Yes it is firm but not uncomfortably so, to me. (Note I have not driven a luxury SUV with adjustable suspension; previous car was a Subaru outback--MY is firmer but I prefer the MY's sportier and more precise feel; before the Subaru was a Saab 900 SPG Turbo)--MY is more comfortable than that). I do find the steering to be a bit too reactive on the interstate but i think I'll probably adapt with a few more trips. The quick response is nice on curvy two lane roads.

Rear hatch buffeting / ear pain:
None noticed by me or my wife

USB audio player
Yes, it is very annoying. Sounds good though.

Roof heat
Noticeable on 100+ days, but maneagable (direct AC upwards). I am still undecided on whether I will get a shade. Less of an issue at speed (air cools the roof off). May be more of an issue around town.

Road trip
We drove from Davis, CA to Cannon Beach, OR, with an overnight stop to visit friends in Mt. Shasta, CA both ways. I had both ABRP and Tesla Nav running. They generally gave similar advice. Tesla was a little more conservative (stop earlier, charge longer). ABRP was a little more accurate. Neither one led us astray.

Driving up I-5 is very easy because there are a ton of superchargers. We could easily drive 2.5 hours between charges and that is about the perfect distance for me before wanting a break.

I particularly recommend the Harrisburg, OR supercharger. Stop and get a Marionberry shake from the Olsen Run Winery food truck.

Was very impressed that I had no soreness or stiffness after either of the nine+ hour days.

Overal Wh/mi: 271

A lovely car for a road trip. Can't wait for my next drive!

Last edited:
Olsen Run Winery Food Truck / Harrisburg, OR Supercharger. Saphira is the blue MY in the middle.

IMG_1963.jpg

We also came from a '17 Subaru Outback Limited - a nice vehicle and a choice that has served us well. Our '22 MYLR is probably as close as we will get to space travel (save interplanetary adventures between my ears). We are lucky to be part of a small but exponentially growing group that will one day be the majority of vehicles on the road - to the benefit of all. A front seat to the future. Have I mentioned that it is a blast to drive?

Attachments

• Tesla Road.jpg
    Tesla Road.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 74
Took delivery of Saphira on July 30th and took a 1,400 mile road trips five days later. Here are some impressions and notes.

First: great car! I am very happy with my purchase. After reading posts here for nine months I was half-prepared to hate the car. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is a really great car.

Fit and finish:
Exterior was perfect, with no panel gaps and no paint problems. Interior I had a rearview mirror rattle, I couldn't set the glovebox PIN, and the mobile connector kit was missing. These were all remedied on a visit to the service center.

Ride / Suspension:
I have the 19" wheels. I have no issues with the suspension harshness. Yes it is firm but not uncomfortably so, to me. (Note I have not driven a luxury SUV with adjustable suspension; previous car was a Subaru outback--MY is firmer but I prefer the MY's sportier and more precise feel; before the Subaru was a Saab 900 SPG Turbo)--MY is more comfortable than that). I do find the steering to be a bit too reactive on the interstate but i think I'll probably adapt with a few more trips. The quick response is nice on curvy two lane roads.

Rear hatch buffeting / ear pain:
None noticed by me or my wife

USB audio player
Yes, it is very annoying. Sounds good though.

Roof heat
Noticeable on 100+ days, but maneagable (direct AC upwards). I am still undecided on whether I will get a shade. Less of an issue at speed (air cools the roof off). May be more of an issue around town.

Road trip
We drove from Davis, CA to Cannon Beach, OR, with an overnight stop to visit friends in Mt. Shasta, CA both ways. I had both ABRP and Tesla Nav running. They generally gave similar advice. Tesla was a little more conservative (stop earlier, charge longer). ABRP was a little more accurate. Neither one led us astray.

Driving up I-5 is very easy because there are a ton of superchargers. We could easily drive 2.5 hours between charges and that is about the perfect distance for me before wanting a break.

I particularly recommend the Harrisburg, OR supercharger. Stop and get a Marionberry shake from the Olsen Run Winery food truck.

Was very impressed that I had no soreness or stiffness after either of the nine+ hour days.

Overal Wh/mi: 271

A lovely car for a road trip. Can't wait for my next drive!
You stop by Tilamook? Chargers there and not bad food.

Reactions: Whatstreet