Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions, Model X versus 3 year old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of our Sig X on the 29th and I can echo Cosmacelf's first impressions. Interior and exterior are pure perfection. Traded in our Model S for the X. Only complaint is the sun-visor is a little funky to use. Autopilot is fantastic. Drove from Fremont to Pasadena, 90% on Autopilot.

@Cosmacelf,

Hey, I'm finalizing my order on Sunday, and you have the only Ultra White Seats car I have seen (Beautiful color combo!), could you post some interior pictures, please?

No one at Tesla can give us any info and we are really torn.

Also, any impressions as to the seats themselves, whether the cooling works well, and what you think of the Premium Package details. I have a P85D, and this will be my wife's 1st Tesla, and she just needs to see what she is ordering. Going to be a Tesla family!

Thanks!

On the official tesla forum, a user by the name of 'kittylitter' is a sig X owner in Seattle area who has ultra-white seats and also Sig. Red exterior. He has posted a few photos if you look for threads about Seattle. Also, there is a Facebook page called 'Model X Owners group' or something like that. Ask to be let into the group; kittylitter has posted many photos under his real name there as well.

And FWIW, I was at the launch event on 9/29/15. Until then, I would never in a million years have considered the white seats. But when I saw ultra-white in a real X, I was hooked. They not only look spectacular, but it feels much more luxurious and softer than most leathers. As such, I ordered the ultra-white for myself. Up until that point, I never believed that synthetic leather could ever top real leather's feel. But this was a game-changer for me. Good luck!

And FWIW, I was at the launch event on 9/29/15. Until then, I would never in a million years have considered the white seats. But when I saw ultra-white in a real X, I was hooked. They not only look spectacular, but it feels much more luxurious and softer than most leathers. As such, I ordered the ultra-white for myself. Up until that point, I never believed that synthetic leather could ever top real leather's feel. But this was a game-changer for me. Good luck!

I really appreciate this feedback. I wasn't at the event, and haven't seen the white in person. The reason I ordered the ultra white is because of the feedback from members of this forum, who seem to have overwhelmingly positive things to say about it. I'm slightly apprehensive about the cleaning aspect, but I do trust all of your great information.

Thanks again.

Is there really any benefit to going with the White seats instead of the Tan Leather (apart from the color of course)?

Personally I think that the Tan with Black headliner, figured ash wood, and Sig Red Exterior look like the best combo. As much as its all down to personal taste, I can't see any benefit to going with the Synthetic White seats instead of the tan leather.

I have seen a few threads where others mention that tan showed wear the most in the model S. I am going with the ultra white since it's synthetic leather so it should not require the maintenance of leather while being easy to clean, esp with small children around. If you have the time to detail and take care of the seats a couple of times a year (or yearly at a minimum) then I don't think it matters and you can go with what you like. I love the Sig Red, black headliner and tan interior combo too. While the ultra white goes well with white exterior.

I have seen a few threads where others mention that tan showed wear the most in the model S. I am going with the ultra white since it's synthetic leather so it should not require the maintenance of leather while being easy to clean, esp with small children around. If you have the time to detail and take care of the seats a couple of times a year (or yearly at a minimum) then I don't think it matters and you can go with what you like. I love the Sig Red, black headliner and tan interior combo too. While the ultra white goes well with white exterior.

I've had my S since March 2013 with 5 kids now ages 7 to 20 over 40,000 miles on tan seats. They have held up very well. If I look closely I can find a few scratches and a scuff, but probably nothing a visit to a detailer wouldn't take care of (I've had the outside detailed but no special care other than vacuuming and wiping spills on the inside). The standard light headliner, on the other hand, has more marks and some visible wear. So I'm sticking with tan seats but black headliner in my titanium X. I like the figured ash but have been very happy with matte Obeche in my S so kept it on the X. I think it picks up on the tan and black tones and has an edgier look which fits the X, vs the ash which projects traditional luxury to me.