Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions, Model X versus 3 year old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I picked up my Model X late Wednesday the 30th at the factory. The idea was to repeat what I did three years ago when I also picked up my Model S from the factory, did a factory tour and immediately drove it about 500 miles back to San Diego.

This time around, I arrived 1/2 hour late for the tour(!), and initially they said sorry, too late for the tour. They then looked at their screen, saw that I was an early Model S buyer, Model X sig owner, and were kind enough to give me a private tour! Nothing special, same stuff everyone else gets, just talking faster in a golf cart.

The tour has changed a bit in three years! Back then we got to walk around, on catwalks, take our time. The tour now, you are in a long electric cart bus and you are driven to a few areas. My tour time was 4pm, in between shift changes, so the factory was idle. Ugh. Boring. Three years ago I got to see all the robots and workers operating.

I started the trip at 6pm and rolled into the house at 3:30am. Needless to say, I was a bit tired at the end. Autopilot saved me. Except for a stretch of 5 freeway through downtown Los Angeles which is under perpetual construction, autopilot drove all the way on the highways and freeways. It takes a lot less energy and you get a lot less tired driving with autopilot than you do normally. Very, very impressive, and massively useful.

Compared to my original 3 year old P85 Model S, the Model X has a tighter suspension. It rides stiffer (slight negative), but handles cornering much better. No floaty feel that I would sometime get on my Model S. Combined with the way more comfortable seats, the Model X is a nicer ride.

The windshield makes you feel like you're in a helicopter bubble. Just wild. However, I'm not sure about it yet. I haven't had much time during the day with it, and even so, we only have the winter sun right now. How will it work with the blaring hot summer sun? I suspect I'll get a heat rejecting "clear" windshield tint added for extra sun protection. I put that on my Model S and feel that it makes a difference. I have more headroom in the Model X compared to the Model S.

The third row seats work well for kids and small adults. I've got longish legs and felt cramped back there. There is good headroom though.

The P90D Model X (without ludicrous) feels like it has more pep and acceleration than my P85. And unlike loaner P90D Model S cars that I've driven, you can barely hear the front motor in the Model X.

At one point in my journey, a car in front of me had some sort of exhaust issue and billowed out a huge, and I mean huge, cloud of noxious crap which I drove right through. In a normal car, I would have breathed that crap for miles. With the Model X, even without bio weapon mode on, I could barely smell it.

I was worried about the front row central console in the Model X. My model S doesn't have anything and I appreciate the empty space to hold my iPad, hat, and assorted crap. But I think the Model X console will work for me.

The frunk is quite a bit smaller than my original Model S. And no, it cannot hold a golf bag. A standard length driver just just fits across it. This is offset by the deeper storage well and higher overall storage in the back. Also, you really could fit duffle bags under the second row seats if you needed to pack things in.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my Model X. I need the 7 seats for the kid's team pickups, I like the better ride, the higher driving height, the amazing autopilot, the refined power, etc. The only real negative is the second row seats. They take too long to move in and out of position for third row access, and, of course, they don't fold flat. But overall, I'm thrilled!

Last edited:
Thanks, Cosmacelf. I share your concerns about the center console, so I'll be interested to hear how you adjust (or don't) over time. I am leaning towards a 6-seat configuration to provide another method of 3rd row access - but it's interesting to hear that the seats are a bit slow. I wonder if that's something that could be worked around with a software tweak - not the motor speed, but some way to signal to the fob (triple click for instance) that you want the doors open AND the 3rd row exposed. Both the door and seats could start moving simultaneously, earning you a little time.

I will look forward to your continued updates, if you're willing to provide them. I am in a similar situation to you having a 'classic' P85 MS and looking at a MX.

Pics or it didn't happen! :smile:

How is the ride for passengers? Do they feel it is stiffer?

Thanks and congrats.

But of course! Here it is in my fairly low ceiling garage. Falcon wing doors open just fine.

a980c453fb8bbdf3f1624981ec259bd6.jpg

Good to know that headroom has improved in Model X vs. Model S in all 3 rows. During my test drive of a Model S, I did feel that headroom was a bit restricted even compared to my Honda Civic (no moonroof).

Between the extra headroom and improved interior quality, I believe that Model X could easily outsell Model S in the near future.

"Fairly low ceiling" -- Can you tell us how low? From the photo, it looks like a 9' (I have an 8'). More importantly, how high is your garage door in that photo?

I was strongly leaning towards pearl white on white seats.. but that silver may change my mind.

Cosmacelf,
Congrats on your X! One thought occurs to me looking at that photo: It looks like the FWD stopped short of full extension because of the presence of the garage door. But what if that door were closed? Would the FWD then open into a space the garage door would occupy if you opened it?

Congrats on the X :) I would like to know how effective is the tint on the panoramic windshield and skylights on the FWD. Does it do an adequate job in preventing sunlight from entering the cabin? My family is sensitive to sunlight and we never open the sunroofs in any of our cars.

We always have sun in SoCal, appreciate it if you can post photos or an experience that shows the effectiveness of the tint

That's a very nice write up. Could you answer a couple questions for me? What are tires on you S P85 and X? Also some mentioned the center 2nd row seat would completely block the rear view. How do you feel about that? Thanks in advance.