Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up 2022 Model Y Performance that I ordered in November 2021, when I sold my 2021 Model Y LR for $8000 more than I paid for it after one year and 17,000 miles.
I have had a Model Y, 3, S and X and I find the Model Y to be the greatest "Value" of all Tesla vehicles.

I also chose the Y because I like to slide out of the vehicle and not boost myself up, like in the S and 3 which, for me, are just too low.

After adapting to the new software. "How do I open my damn glove box? and Where do I increase the autopilot speed?" Thank you GOOGLE for the answers. They certainly weren't in all of the instructional videos I watched.

I must say the ride was less rough than I expected having come from an older Model S. The Performance version is peppy and plenty for me. I don't need to waste $60k more to gain 1 second on the 0 to 60. I have had a Model X Raven and punched that ticket.

I am happy to report that I received the Ryzen Chip, the heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires.
I am disappointed to report that the rear double-pane insulated windows are no longer present.

PERFECT delivery with no issues and so far so with only 227 miles, I couldn't be more pleased.

The pickup process was smoother than I expected and Elana did a great job assisting me in walking down the checklist. My friend who owns my first Tesla (Tessie 1) took me to the appointment. There were some shrubs on the lower front bumper which Elana was able to quickly remove. A PERFECT delivery.

First impressions summary:
Fast and peppy and the 0-60 in 3.5 is more than I need (Even though I have had a Model X Raven with a 0-60 of 2.6 that could get me into trouble)

AMD Ryzen, laminate windows up front, heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires on board.

Disappointed that they dropped the laminate on the rear windows.

The ride was less stiff and bumpy than I expected and that's coming from a 2014 Model S that glides along the road.

Handling is excellent.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

20220603_162348_resized.jpg

(Mod: Image added by TMC for Blog Feed)

Attachments

• 20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 738
  • 20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 758
Last edited by a moderator:
Expel is a very reputed brand and...ebating whether its worth to get PPF on a MY.
This should help you make up your mind.

I can't imagine anyone with a nice vehicle watching this and NOT wanting PPF!

Comparison is very well done.

Relatively equal protection and my experience is that STEK Dynoshield is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of EXPEL.

This should help you make up your mind.

I can't imagine anyone with a nice vehicle watching this and NOT wanting PPF!

Comparison is very well done.

Relatively equal protection and my experience is that STEK Dynoshield is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of EXPEL.
Obviously it is better than nothing, but I'd be very cautious about getting STEK. It has been known to lift after about a year or two. 3M and XPEL are rock solid and have been around forever.

Obviously it is better than nothing, but I'd be very cautious about getting STEK. It has been known to lift after about a year or two. 3M and XPEL are rock solid and have been around forever.
I have had STEK Dynoshield on four Tesla's without a problem, but with great durability and a super shine. Had one keyed and it healed with a hair dryer.
I no longer have to worry about immediately washing off the love bugs which we experience in the south.
This one (pic), now owned by my friend, my first Tesla (2014) is eight years old and looks great.

STEK has been using ceramic as part of their final coat for years, while XPEL is just beginning to explore its use (Fusion Plus).
My installer switched from XPEL, because he finds Dynoshield much easier to work with. XPEL's coating is more aggressive and leaves less room for adjustments or errors.

According to XPELs ad:
How long does Xpel fusion plus ceramic coating last?
4 years

Attachments

• 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 98
Yes, that's correct, I'm a Chinese:) There is a saying (more like a joke) in my culture that one's success is measured by his or her rear seat legroom. This is also the reason why you see models like Audi A4 L and A6 L, long wheel base MB C class, etc. Rear seat comfort and quietness are important in China at this price range of vehicles.
Lol, I can definitely relate to this. Originally it was the Mercedes SEL for my family but then Minivans came out and we started doing custom minivan rears to fit more people more comfortably. Back at this time, we had more rear leg room than a Maybach with more luxury amenities. If I could ride around in a custom coach bus all the time, it would be great but it’s not practical.

Throwing in my two cents --
As my Model S approaches the end of its 8-year battery warranty, I have been thinking about what to get if I decide to replace it. Recently I test drove a Model Y for the first time. I had driven a Model 3 when they first came out a few years ago, but otherwise have not driven any Tesla aside from Model S (mine or loaners), in some years. For what it is worth, here are some first impressions.

The first thing is, I hate door handles! Minor I suppose. More importantly, I really disliked the seat. It is very uncomfortable, downright painful actually. The side bolsters are too intrusive, and the seat bottom is too narrow. I might like to try a test drive another time using an aftermarket cushion. I did like the seating position, but not the seat itself.

The car I drove was a performance version, which I was not interested in. The sales guy said he wished they had a long-range version available for testing. He said the performance version has a stiffer suspension and larger tires, both of which would contribute to a harsher ride. I had not realized that the suspension would be different. The ride was a bit harsh although perhaps a tad less harsh than my own car. Hard to say, actually. It felt as though the car rattled when it went over bumps. It's practically brand new so it shouldn't have any rattles. My car doesn't rattle even after 60,000 miles.

The handling is terrific. The smaller size and the small steering wheel both contribute to a sense of nimbleness that is pleasurable. Very maneuverable, I would say.

It seemed bigger on the inside than I had thought it would be. Good leg room and good headroom in both the front and back seats.

One oddity: In the showroom before the test drive, I decided to see what the back seat was like, got in, and closed the door. Then I could not figure out how to get out! The upholstery was white but the door panels were black, and I could not find the button to release the door latch! I knew roughly where it should be and what to look for, but I had trouble finding where to press. I could see having to explain that to everybody who rides in the back seat.

The audio system seems very good! It certainly had plenty of Bass when I had it on and a very clean sound.

I really missed having the instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel. I know that everybody says you can get used to the center screen, but I felt I was looking further from the windshield. But maybe you really can get used to it.

The controls I used seemed okay. The turn signal and the gear shift lever were close enough to mine that it wasn't a big transition to using them even though they operate slightly differently.

The cruise control seems to work very well, very stable on the highway. It may finally be better than my older version. It is ridiculous to have to pay $6,000 extra to get self-parking, however.

One thing I noticed is that the regenerative braking is stronger than it is on my car. It can bring you right down to a stop, which I knew to expect but was still a bit surprising because my car only uses regenerative braking down to about 5 mph. I can see it would be very helpful to have the one pedal driving in the model Y.

I realized afterwards that I had not paid attention to how quiet the car was on the highway, so I am not sure how the road noise and wind noise compare to Model S (mine is noisy).

I think those are the main points. Not sure if I'll ever be able to test drive a non-performance version. But I think I also need to test drive some other cars.

Throwing in my two cents --
As my Model S approaches the end of its 8-year battery warranty, I have been thinking about what to get if I decide to replace it. Recently I test drove a Model Y for the first time. I had driven a Model 3 when they first came out a few years ago, but otherwise have not driven any Tesla aside from Model S (mine or loaners), in some years. For what it is worth, here are some first impressions.

The first thing is, I hate door handles! Minor I suppose. More importantly, I really disliked the seat. It is very uncomfortable, downright painful actually. The side bolsters are too intrusive, and the seat bottom is too narrow. I might like to try a test drive another time using an aftermarket cushion. I did like the seating position, but not the seat itself.

The car I drove was a performance version, which I was not interested in. The sales guy said he wished they had a long-range version available for testing. He said the performance version has a stiffer suspension and larger tires, both of which would contribute to a harsher ride. I had not realized that the suspension would be different. The ride was a bit harsh although perhaps a tad less harsh than my own car. Hard to say, actually. It felt as though the car rattled when it went over bumps. It's practically brand new so it shouldn't have any rattles. My car doesn't rattle even after 60,000 miles.

The handling is terrific. The smaller size and the small steering wheel both contribute to a sense of nimbleness that is pleasurable. Very maneuverable, I would say.

It seemed bigger on the inside than I had thought it would be. Good leg room and good headroom in both the front and back seats.

One oddity: In the showroom before the test drive, I decided to see what the back seat was like, got in, and closed the door. Then I could not figure out how to get out! The upholstery was white but the door panels were black, and I could not find the button to release the door latch! I knew roughly where it should be and what to look for, but I had trouble finding where to press. I could see having to explain that to everybody who rides in the back seat.

The audio system seems very good! It certainly had plenty of Bass when I had it on and a very clean sound.

I really missed having the instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel. I know that everybody says you can get used to the center screen, but I felt I was looking further from the windshield. But maybe you really can get used to it.

The controls I used seemed okay. The turn signal and the gear shift lever were close enough to mine that it wasn't a big transition to using them even though they operate slightly differently.

The cruise control seems to work very well, very stable on the highway. It may finally be better than my older version. It is ridiculous to have to pay $6,000 extra to get self-parking, however.

One thing I noticed is that the regenerative braking is stronger than it is on my car. It can bring you right down to a stop, which I knew to expect but was still a bit surprising because my car only uses regenerative braking down to about 5 mph. I can see it would be very helpful to have the one pedal driving in the model Y.

I realized afterwards that I had not paid attention to how quiet the car was on the highway, so I am not sure how the road noise and wind noise compare to Model S (mine is noisy).

I think those are the main points. Not sure if I'll ever be able to test drive a non-performance version. But I think I also need to test drive some other cars.
Good points overall. I went from multiple MS models from 2015-2018 and now have a 22 M3 LR and recent MYP.

I will say the initial adjustment coming out of a MS 100D was definately noticeable. The S being lower to the ground felt a bit more stable but the MYP drive to me was a pleasure nonetheless.

Rear seats reclining as well as the seat height position allowing your knees not to crunch up was a great seller for the family. That and one button auto fold down vs having to manually fold MS seats also a plus.

The lack of cluster was odd for about 2 days and then we started to appreciate how clean the front looks without one. Personal opinion here…everyone has their own :)

Regen to zero was standard now on all models since the Raven MS /MX in 2019 so you’ll have this on any late model Tesla going forward.

Find visibility is better in the Y given the higher seating positions as well as comfort of getting in and out.

We had the pano roof so miss that feature tremendously.

Auto handles… I ordered a set from hanshow and problem solved …$500 and they auto open with lights. My wife wouldn’t stand for the manual handles so had to get creative :)

The suspension on MY lately has been softened so not sure if your test mule had this new susp set up. For my 21” Ubers, I reduced the psi down to 39 from 44 and makes a huge diff on those smaller bumps.

Road noise we found equal to be honest. Slight edge to the MS but otherwise too slight to notice.

Handling I found the MS to be better on cornering simply due to lower centre of gravity. But on that note my M3 LR/boost is the king of handling there. Point and shoot perfection. The Y does feel boatier than my 3 does but is more refined overall.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I really disliked the seat. It is very uncomfortable, downright painful actually. The side bolsters are too intrusive, and the seat bottom is too narrow. I might like to try a test drive another time using an aftermarket cushion. I did like the seating position, but not the seat itself.
I guess it just shows that everything is very specific to the person, and test driving is important.

The Y seats are actually some of the most comfortable I've been in. I've taken multiple multi-day road trips and never been sore or uncomfortable in them, and my passengers have remarked similarly. I'm also a fairly large guy, so issues like being too narrow or the side bolsters too intrusive would normally be very uncomfortable for me, but they aren't in this vehicle.

So if you're curious folks, test drive. Everyone has different experiences.

Good points overall. I went from multiple MS models from 2015-2018 and now have a 22 M3 LR and recent MYP.

I will say the initial adjustment coming out of a MS 100D was definately noticeable. The S being lower to the ground felt a bit more stable but the MYP drive to me was a pleasure nonetheless.

Rear seats reclining as well as the seat height position allowing your knees not to crunch up was a great seller for the family. That and one button auto fold down vs having to manually fold MS seats also a plus.

The lack of cluster was odd for about 2 days and then we started to appreciate how clean the front looks without one. Personal opinion here…everyone has their own :)

Regen to zero was standard now on all models since the Raven MS /MX in 2019 so you’ll have this on any late model Tesla going forward.

Find visibility is better in the Y given the higher seating positions as well as comfort of getting in and out.

We had the pano roof so miss that feature tremendously.

Auto handles… I ordered a set from hanshow and problem solved …$500 and they auto open with lights. My wife wouldn’t stand for the manual handles so had to get creative :)

The suspension on MY lately has been softened so not sure if your test mule had this new susp set up. For my 21” Ubers, I reduced the psi down to 39 from 44 and makes a huge diff on those smaller bumps.

Road noise we found equal to be honest. Slight edge to the MS but otherwise too slight to notice.

Handling I found the MS to be better on cornering simply due to lower centre of gravity. But on that note my M3 LR/boost is the king of handling there. Point and shoot perfection. The Y does feel boatier than my 3 does but is more refined overall.
I should have added that the reason I am looking at Model Y is to help with back pain. The low seating position of the Model S can be tough on days when my old back is acting up. Which is why I was so distressed about the discomfort of the seats themselves, despite how much I liked the seating position. Good point about visibility -- that has always been a problem with Model S.

I should have added that the reason I am looking at Model Y is to help with back pain. The low seating position of the Model S can be tough on days when my old back is acting up. Which is why I was so distressed about the discomfort of the seats themselves, despite how much I liked the seating position. Good point about visibility -- that has always been a problem with Model S.
Did you adjust the auto lumbar to your liking?
If not the default is crap for the back. Once I adjusted my lumbar, the seat is just fine 👍🏽

The performance is a harsher ride but my 21 LR was also harsh. The difference though is that with the P, even with my smaller 19" wheels.tires, you feel every little imperfection in the road...and I mean even tiny little cracks that are filled in with tar you can feel it. If the asphalt is the least bit wavy you feel it. The LR was much smoother except over bumps and expansion joints...then it was still harsh. The P model to me just isn't as comfortable as the LR. With that said the LR is slower and feels more top heavy when making sudden changes in direction. The LR seed to me to have more top end power which was useful on the highway. The P has a lot more low end power and will snap your neck back if you floor it at 30 with full power available from battery.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have gone with the P. I would have gone with a LR and purchased the acceleration boost to get the 4.2s 0-60. Not as much fun on twisty roads but a much better cruising car with lots of power for passing in town or on highway.

The only thing about the LR is the brakes feel inadequate for the amount of power the car has. At least on my 21 model. The P model will stop on a dime.

Reactions: Destiny1701
No, I did not adjust the lumbar. But I do not think that would have affected my reaction to the seat cushion. It was the seat bottom, not the seat back, that was painful.
Odd.‘I’ve sat in both MS and MY and while MS is definitely a better quality built seat, the Y is not that far off or painful in the least.

Hmmm…I guess everyone feels it differently. 🤷🏽‍♂️

David,

One of my biggest complains with my Model Y is the lack of an ability to shut off / change the aggressiveness of regenerative braking.

Whereas my MY3LR had the ability to lower it to 25%, thus making the car less harsh for the passengers. (Something the Tesla clearly doesn't care about...)

My car is now called The Vomit Comet after my son threw up in the car two times... something that was NEVER an issue in the Model 3.

(The true fanboys will tell you that you just have to feather accelerator, but let's be honest: You shouldn't have to ride the accelerator continuously, especially on long drives. More over it also affects the use of Autopilot, with then becomes a harsher experience as well.)

As far as the ride is concerned:

You can put 20in Uberturbine wheels from a MY3P on the MYP, and then whatever tires you want. This solves two issues: 1) The destruction of the wheels from hitting a curb 2) The harshness of the ride verses the 21in wheels

Expel is a very reputed brand and...ebating whether its worth to get PPF on a MY.
These aren't rare collectibles... not worth it IMO. I'm not even certain I'd get ceramic coating on my next car, the only benefit to me is I can be lazier about washing and it takes longer for the car to look horrible between washes. Plus if you get any dings and need body work, you have additional expense to re-wrap the fixed/new panels.

David,

One of my biggest complains with my Model Y is the lack of an ability to shut off / change the aggressiveness of regenerative braking.

Whereas my MY3LR had the ability to lower it to 25%, thus making the car less harsh for the passengers. (Something the Tesla clearly doesn't care about...)

My car is now called The Vomit Comet after my son threw up in the car two times... something that was NEVER an issue in the Model 3.

(The true fanboys will tell you that you just have to feather accelerator, but let's be honest: You shouldn't have to ride the accelerator continuously, especially on long drives. More over it also affects the use of Autopilot, with then becomes a harsher experience as well.)

As far as the ride is concerned:

You can put 20in Uberturbine wheels from a MY3P on the MYP, and then whatever tires you want. This solves two issues: 1) The destruction of the wheels from hitting a curb 2) The harshness of the ride verses the 21in wheels
100% agree. Especially in winter or sleet/rain conditions. The braking actually causes a slight slip. Not safe at all. I have to actively feather and manage it during harsher weather.

No, I did not adjust the lumbar. But I do not think that would have affected my reaction to the seat cushion. It was the seat bottom, not the seat back, that was painful.
Seat comfort is very subjective to the individual (no right or wrong answer). I also have a bad back at times and am very picky on seats.
I just bought a model Y and fortunately those seats are very good for me.
I would recommend avoiding a car that isn’t comfortable for you. Workarounds will likely get old after awhile. Always test a seat for yourself! 👍🙂

Reactions: Destiny1701