Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up 2022 Model Y Performance that I ordered in November 2021, when I sold my 2021 Model Y LR for $8000 more than I paid for it after one year and 17,000 miles.
I have had a Model Y, 3, S and X and I find the Model Y to be the greatest "Value" of all Tesla vehicles.

I also chose the Y because I like to slide out of the vehicle and not boost myself up, like in the S and 3 which, for me, are just too low.

After adapting to the new software. "How do I open my damn glove box? and Where do I increase the autopilot speed?" Thank you GOOGLE for the answers. They certainly weren't in all of the instructional videos I watched.

I must say the ride was less rough than I expected having come from an older Model S. The Performance version is peppy and plenty for me. I don't need to waste $60k more to gain 1 second on the 0 to 60. I have had a Model X Raven and punched that ticket.

I am happy to report that I received the Ryzen Chip, the heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires.
I am disappointed to report that the rear double-pane insulated windows are no longer present.

PERFECT delivery with no issues and so far so with only 227 miles, I couldn't be more pleased.

The pickup process was smoother than I expected and Elana did a great job assisting me in walking down the checklist. My friend who owns my first Tesla (Tessie 1) took me to the appointment. There were some shrubs on the lower front bumper which Elana was able to quickly remove. A PERFECT delivery.

First impressions summary:
Fast and peppy and the 0-60 in 3.5 is more than I need (Even though I have had a Model X Raven with a 0-60 of 2.6 that could get me into trouble)

AMD Ryzen, laminate windows up front, heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires on board.

Disappointed that they dropped the laminate on the rear windows.

The ride was less stiff and bumpy than I expected and that's coming from a 2014 Model S that glides along the road.

Handling is excellent.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

20220603_162348_resized.jpg

(Mod: Image added by TMC for Blog Feed)

Attachments

• 20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 759
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful! I just took delivery of mine on 6/4. On your notes about the car:

Model Y had the heat pump from the beginning (unlike model 3). Also, I don’t know that the rears ever came with double pane glass. I had a 2021 LR and the 2022 is the same with just a single pane in the back. Unless they started doing them in the back later on (my LR was a Feb 2021 build).

The performance is noticeably fast than my LR which was already a very quick car. You don’t notice the quickness so much as you notice it glues you to the seat quite a bit harder.

It sounds like your MYP has the same build as my'21 I picked up a year ago. Did you get the rear chassis casting? I doubt you got 4680 batteries. Mine has radar and adjustable passenger lumbar support. When the 4680 batteries come out, I might upgrade. I am glad I got on when I did. Congrats on a nice car!
megacast and structural battery pack with 4680 are not being produced at Freemont. So right now LR and P models don't get those things. Currently the new Standard AWD model does get those which are only coming out of Austin. I have seen that Tesla is offering customers to switch their LR to a Standard model but I haven't heard of any customer actually taking delivery of standard range yet. Only Tesla employees were getting those cars I presumably to work out any bugs before they sell them to the public.

They never used laminated glass in the rear doors here in the US. You're not missing out :)
A couple people on here reported having them. Perhaps they were testing them. It appears the China Model Y has them.

level 2
RockinJoeSchmo
·3 mo. ago

Double pane in the rear windows have started as of cars with production dates of this week. So it's very new, going forward all model Ys to be produced will have double pane in the rear. So you might hear of deliveries in the near future without double pane rear, those model Ys were made before this week.

level 3
LibrarianLegal1892
·3 mo. ago

Source?
https://www.reddit.com/user/Aggie_Aloha12/
level 3
Aggie_Aloha12
·3 mo. ago

Right. I miscommunicated. US only has front for now from what I understand.

level 2
sirbeepsalot
·3 mo. ago

My 391xxx MYP supposedly has it. One SA said yes, another no.
Guess we will see Friday at pickup.

Scott, congratulations and great first impressions from a seasoned Tesla owner. I pick up my Model Y Performance today (my 1st Tesla) so I do appreciate your comments and evaluation, especially your “best value” rating of this model!
One question what does PPF on June 14th mean? Is that a service appt of some type?
Thanks again for the great post!
Brian

Scott, congratulations and great first impressions from a seasoned Tesla owner. I pick up my Model Y Performance today (my 1st Tesla) so I do appreciate your comments and evaluation, especially your “best value” rating of this model!
One question what does PPF on June 14th mean? Is that a service appt of some type?
Thanks again for the great post!
Brian
PPF = paint protection film installed by 3rd party.

TrikkyOne, is that something necessary to do after getting a new Tesla? Where do you get this done and what is the cost? As I said in my introduction post, I am new to Tesla and have a lot to learn. Thanks.
I wouldn’t say necessary. The purpose of paint protection film, PPF, is to serve a sacrificial barrier so that when rock chips and other things that would otherwise damage your paint they hit the PPF instead. PPF is usually clear but can be made to look hazy. Tesla’s paint has a reputation for being poor so people like to cover it up. That plus the that the front of MY and M3 are just huge surfaces begging for paint chips. Again, not necessary but many do it.

Just Google “paint protection film” plus the city where you live and you’ll find installers. The cost runs about $1-2k for the front and goes up from there.

You can also buy precut kits and try to do it yourself. It’s will never look as good as professional doing it but it can still be OK.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

Thank you for your excellent (and perfectly timed) first impressions post! I will be picking up my MYP this coming Monday. I'd held off for at least a year, expecting the first production out of Austin would be 4860 MYPs. I really blew that call!.

The several aftermarket accessories you mentioned all sound interesting. I've never heard of a rear compartment divider. Do you mind sharing
what companies produce the divider, storage cubbies and carbon fiber app? Also are you going with XPEL PPF or some other?
Trying to figure out a good, reasonably priced set of PPF, ceramic coating, etc. has been giving me headaches. I'm in Vermont so thanks for reminding me to add mud flaps to my list of ASAP accessories!

Re: China Y's having double pane rear door windows
Maybe a cultural thing. From what I have heard it is prestigious to ride in the back seat while being chauffeured, and a Tesla is pricey enough to qualify as a limo over there. So more has to be done there to keep the back seat environment quiet.
Just a guess though.

Reactions: Fairchild
Autopilot is limited to 80 mph on the 2022 MYP (Since changing to the camera and sensors only). That's the minimum speed on I-95.
I thought there was an OTA upgrade to 85 mph
Perhaps I need to check for an update.
Thank you for your excellent (and perfectly timed) first impressions post! I will be picking up my MYP this coming Monday. I'd held off for at least a year, expecting the first production out of Austin would be 4860 MYPs. I really blew that call!.

The several aftermarket accessories you mentioned all sound interesting. I've never heard of a rear compartment divider. Do you mind sharing
what companies produce the divider, storage cubbies and carbon fiber app? Also are you going with XPEL PPF or some other?
Trying to figure out a good, reasonably priced set of PPF, ceramic coating, etc. has been giving me headaches. I'm in Vermont so thanks for reminding me to add mud flaps to my list of ASAP accessories!
PPF (other) and decals on June 14. I'll get the other info on here soon. Please use the checklist from this site. It is very thorough.
I get a PPF in which the final coat is ceramic. I will look it up for you soon.

Re: China Y's having double pane rear door windows
Maybe a cultural thing. From what I have heard it is prestigious to ride in the back seat while being chauffeured, and a Tesla is pricey enough to qualify as a limo over there. So more has to be done there to keep the back seat environment quiet.
Just a guess though.
Yes, that's correct, I'm a Chinese:) There is a saying (more like a joke) in my culture that one's success is measured by his or her rear seat legroom. This is also the reason why you see models like Audi A4 L and A6 L, long wheel base MB C class, etc. Rear seat comfort and quietness are important in China at this price range of vehicles.

Yes, that's correct, I'm a Chinese:) There is a saying (more like a joke) in my culture that one's success is measured by his or her rear seat legroom. This is also the reason why you see models like Audi A4 L and A6 L, long wheel base MB C class, etc. Rear seat comfort and quietness are important in China at this price range of vehicles.
Very interesting to know. Thanks for sharing! Hey, we know Americans are just noisy in the back seat!! :eek:

Beautiful! I just took delivery of mine on 6/4. On your notes about the car:

Model Y had the heat pump from the beginning (unlike model 3). Also, I don’t know that the rears ever came with double pane glass. I had a 2021 LR and the 2022 is the same with just a single pane in the back. Unless they started doing them in the back later on (my LR was a Feb 2021 build).

The performance is noticeably fast than my LR which was already a very quick car. You don’t notice the quickness so much as you notice it glues you to the seat quite a bit harder.
My 2021 did not have a heat pump (Nov 2020 build).

Here ya go!!

Rear compartment cover: https://www.amazon.com/Tcpuolr-Retr...cphy=9011822&hvtargid=pla-1643593872390&psc=1

I have used STEK Dynoshiled on all of my Teslas for PPF put on locally in Melbourne FL by Pain Pro for only $1750 for front to mirrors. The final coat is ceramic so you get the best of both worlds. My friend who bought my first Tesla just took it off the hood after 8 years and the hood is just like factory paint.
See pic. DYNOshield Hydrophobic Paint Protection Film | STEK USA

Cup holder: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SK73LZ1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Phone mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09V11VFF3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details Don't really need it with the built-in charger.

Best shine in the world. Dynoshield followed by wet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRJOTIA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Mud flaps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092QQBM41?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

White dash cover: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TZTF9T2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details $37 vs real carbon fiber $900 Give me a break!!

A frame delete (see pic) Satin Black

More later. Work is interfering with my fun!!

Attachments

• Stick on dash cover.jpg
    Stick on dash cover.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 537
  • front panel cover carbon fiber like.jpg
    front panel cover carbon fiber like.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 207
  • screen protector.jpg
    screen protector.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 210
  • PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Rear Cover.png
    Rear Cover.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Pillar delete Model Y.jpg
    Pillar delete Model Y.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 243
TrikkyOne, is that something necessary to do after getting a new Tesla? Where do you get this done and what is the cost? As I said in my introduction post, I am new to Tesla and have a lot to learn. Thanks.
DYNOshield Hydrophobic Paint Protection Film | STEK USA Highly recommended. Really improves the look and value of your car. Very good protection from stone chips, bird droppings, and road damage. Makes it easier to wash and keep clean. Protects from swirling from car washes. Use it with Chemical Guys product "Wet" for the best shine I have ever seen. I usually get the front, hood, and front qtr panels done for about $1750. You can also get the sides and rear done to protect them from keying and other damage. You have put big money into your Tesla. It's worth protecting. I like the fact that with DYNOshield you get PPF and Ceramic in one product for a lot less $$ than XPEL, 3M, and some of the other name brands.

Reactions: Luvtoride