Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up 2022 Model Y Performance that I ordered in November 2021, when I sold my 2021 Model Y LR for $8000 more than I paid for it after one year and 17,000 miles.
I have had a Model Y, 3, S and X and I find the Model Y to be the greatest "Value" of all Tesla vehicles.

I also chose the Y because I like to slide out of the vehicle and not boost myself up, like in the S and 3 which, for me, are just too low.

After adapting to the new software. "How do I open my damn glove box? and Where do I increase the autopilot speed?" Thank you GOOGLE for the answers. They certainly weren't in all of the instructional videos I watched.

I must say the ride was less rough than I expected having come from an older Model S. The Performance version is peppy and plenty for me. I don't need to waste $60k more to gain 1 second on the 0 to 60. I have had a Model X Raven and punched that ticket.

I am happy to report that I received the Ryzen Chip, the heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires.
I am disappointed to report that the rear double-pane insulated windows are no longer present.

PERFECT delivery with no issues and so far so with only 227 miles, I couldn't be more pleased.

The pickup process was smoother than I expected and Elana did a great job assisting me in walking down the checklist. My friend who owns my first Tesla (Tessie 1) took me to the appointment. There were some shrubs on the lower front bumper which Elana was able to quickly remove. A PERFECT delivery.

First impressions summary:
Fast and peppy and the 0-60 in 3.5 is more than I need (Even though I have had a Model X Raven with a 0-60 of 2.6 that could get me into trouble)

AMD Ryzen, laminate windows up front, heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires on board.

Disappointed that they dropped the laminate on the rear windows.

The ride was less stiff and bumpy than I expected and that's coming from a 2014 Model S that glides along the road.

Handling is excellent.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

20220603_162348_resized.jpg

(Mod: Image added by TMC for Blog Feed)

Attachments

• 20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 738
  • 20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 758
Last edited by a moderator:
Autopilot is limited to 80 mph on the 2022 MYP (Since changing to the camera and sensors only). That's the minimum speed on I-95.
I thought there was an OTA upgrade to 85 mph
Perhaps I need to check for an update.

UPDATE: Just got a software update. The top speed with Autopilot is now 85! Still getting passed by those crazies on I-95!

I think you will find that Dynoshield is a better product and at about 1/3 less cost.

Always Clean Tint, Vinyl & PPF
We’re here to help protect your investment and make you proud to drive your car out on the road again. From traditional detailing, to ceramic coatings, paint protection film and vinyl installation, we offer the service and solutions you and your vehicle deserve.

4-21 Banta Place, Unit C
Fair Lawn, NJ, 07410

[email protected]
Awesome Scott, I made an appt with "Always Clean" for the Dynoshield for this Tuesday. they are in my town and the owner I dealt with is great and real Pro.

In the Maryland area I went with Llumar PPF, whatever their top-of-the-line stuff is and the ceramic coat on top.

I did that with my model three and it had no problems for the 3 1/2 years I had the car, it also save me a *sugar* load of money in scrapes and such. I even backed my car into a white plastic tub… And it actually slightly damaged a quarter panel but in the manner you could barely tell. Interestingly enough I simply wiped off the white plastic that transferred onto the film with a wet sponge, and I used to heat gun on the film and it repaired itself. Save me $2500 having that repaired (painted)!

AP Tinting in Sykesville, MD

I looked at places in the immediate area where I live in Rockville, and they want like eight to $9000 to do what this place is doing for five grand.

Like my old Tesla this one has an appointment for full body PPF.

Reactions: Silence88
Take your pick. If we take this delivery truck as a random sample, it looks like five out of eight new Model Y deliveries are Performance Modelsd.
Any one else have pics to codify.
Pick One.jpg

My vehicle was not on this carrier and I am happy that it was not on the front as a "Love Bug" catcher. My car came in a few weeks later mid-season. This time of the year swarms of small bugs fly around mating in pairs and thus they are called "Love Bugs" They hit your paint and splatter their digestive contents onto the surface. If not removed in a relatively short period of time, they "eat" through the paint leaving permanent damage. Another great reason for PPF.

The lovebug is a species of march fly found in parts of Central America and the southeastern United States, especially along the Gulf Coast. It is also known as the honeymoon fly or double-headed bug. During and after mating, matured pairs remain together, even in flight, for up to several days. A rumor that the bugs were created by the University of Florida as an experiment to control mosquitoes has persisted for years. That's not true. Oh, If you miss them in May, they will come back to see you in October. For anyone driving in the southeast. Beware. I prefer to call them "Hate Bugs".

1654974046228.png
1654974078452.png

• Funny
Reactions: PCTAZRichard
I had heard about the side repeater cameras coming on with the left and right turn signals, but let me tell you, it is NOT the default setting.
After an exhaustive search (Driving, Safety, Settings), where I expected to find it, the setting switch is actually hidden under AUTOPILOT.
What the heck does it have to do with AUTOPILOT? IDK, but that is where it is. Anyway for those who haven't enabled it. Here is how.

I would still MUCH prefer to have the blind spot indicator in my mirror, so I didn't have to look away (down or right) from the direction in which I am turning, but it is much better than trying to sort out 10 shadow vehicles on a small screen.

1654978672480.png
Come on man, it's not even as difficult to engineer as farting seats, and so much safer. Even Hyundai has them. While the engineers are busy playing with "Light Shows", have them put a little safety light show in each mirror.

It's one of the sacrifices we make with Elon's penchant for FSD. He chooses to have us less safe so that we can get to FSD quicker. As I have previously bemoaned, I don't expect autonomous FSD for at least another five years, maybe eight. The NHSTA is currently on Tesla's ass about simple AUTOPILOT and emergency vehicles. Can you imagine when they get their claws into FSD?.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I have an appointment to have the PPF applied this Tuesday.
I had the STEK Dynoshield installed on my MYP yesterday. Highway package only. The installer did a great job and I feel better to have this protection after all I've read here about the cars paint finish.
Does it pay to do something with the doors, either separate Dynoshield on them or door guards? I know this is a different issue but just wondering about it for those that didn't do the full car PPF. Thanks,
shield 1.jpg

Reactions: Darmie
Looks superb! Love that DynoShield! You can do the doors, if you can afford it and want to protect against keying and parking lot door chips. You have hit the most important parts if you got the front, hood, pillars and mirrors. I usually then cover the entire car with Chemical Guys, "Wet" for an extra superb shine. Since having SENTRY Mode, I am less inclined to do the rest of the car. Owner's choice and finances prevail.

Reactions: Luvtoride
Some 2022 Model Y Performance Updates
STEK DynoShield Front: WET treatment coming soon.
Satin A-pillar treatment
Duck Bill Removal $60
Carbon Fiber dash cover white glare remover $37 and Screen Protector (Great at reducing glare and fingerprints, but the jury still out on clarity)

Attachments

• CF Dash Cover 2.jpg
    CF Dash Cover 2.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 106
  • CF Dash Cover.jpg
    CF Dash Cover.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Satin A.jpg
    Satin A.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Satin roof blend.jpg
    Satin roof blend.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 106
  • Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 108
  • PPF Front.jpg
    PPF Front.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 102
  • PPF Front.jpg
    PPF Front.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: Rockfish and unk45
Some 2022 Model Y Performance Updates
STEK DynoShield Front: WET treatment coming soon.
Satin A-pillar treatment
Duck Bill Removal $60
Carbon Fiber dash cover white glare remover $37 and Screen Protector (Great at reducing glare and fingerprints, but the jury still out on clarity)
Love it. The A-pillar is great. One thing I’ll mention is the hood, looks like it’s quite tight. Lower rubber pumpers at corners?

I just wanted to say - I freaking love that satin black with the glossy red.
Thanks, man. I agree.

One guy on here said, "Why would you take a nice car and make it look like a Camry?"
To each their own. Tastes vary.

I think the satin black just finishes out the car and separates the black top from the glossy red bottom. I will upload some more pics after I get the Chemical guys product "WET" on top of the Ceramic PPF and the rest of the car and it will POP! Hopefully this weekend.

I really appreciate your affirming comment!

Thanks, man. I agree.

One guy on here said, "Why would you take a nice car and make it look like a Camry?"
To each their own. Tastes vary.

I think the satin black just finishes out the car and separates the black top from the glossy red bottom. I will upload some more pics after I get the Chemical guys product "WET" on top of the Ceramic PPF and the rest of the car and it will POP! Hopefully this weekend.

I really appreciate your affirming comment!
You planning on doing the wet by hand or a machine? Thinking of giving it a try by hand. I don't have experience with a machine.

Europe gets cargo shelf and double pane rear windows. Hmmmm.

See this bothers me. Why does NA get less? At least equalize it. Not like NA didn’t help get tesla out of potential bankruotcy and initial support to thrive. Glad Europe and China get these but why leave out NA? Seems ridiculous.

Just picked up 2022 Model Y Performance that I ordered in November 2021, when I sold my 2021 Model Y LR for $8000 more than I paid for it after one year and 17,000 miles.
I have had a Model Y, 3, S and X and I find the Model Y to be the greatest "Value" of all Tesla vehicles.

I also chose the Y because I like to slide out of the vehicle and not boost myself up, like in the S and 3 which, for me, are just too low.

After adapting to the new software. "How do I open my damn glove box? and Where do I increase the autopilot speed?" Thank you GOOGLE for the answers. They certainly weren't in all of the instructional videos I watched.

I must say the ride was less rough than I expected having come from an older Model S. The Performance version is peppy and plenty for me. I don't need to waste $60k more to gain 1 second on the 0 to 60. I have had a Model X Raven and punched that ticket.

I am happy to report that I received the Ryzen Chip, the heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires.
I am disappointed to report that the rear double-pane insulated windows are no longer present.

PERFECT delivery with no issues and so far so with only 227 miles, I couldn't be more pleased.

The pickup process was smoother than I expected and Elana did a great job assisting me in walking down the checklist. My friend who owns my first Tesla (Tessie 1) took me to the appointment. There were some shrubs on the lower front bumper which Elana was able to quickly remove. A PERFECT delivery.

First impressions summary:
Fast and peppy and the 0-60 in 3.5 is more than I need (Even though I have had a Model X Raven with a 0-60 of 2.6 that could get me into trouble)

AMD Ryzen, laminate windows up front, heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires on board.

Disappointed that they dropped the laminate on the rear windows.

The ride was less stiff and bumpy than I expected and that's coming from a 2014 Model S that glides along the road.

Handling is excellent.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

View attachment 813327

(Mod: Image added by TMC for Blog Feed)
Nice review - I thought about the white seats for my M3 order - but stayed w black
Ag

Reactions: timberlights
Well, I got the rear area retractable cargo cover. The one that doesn't scratch. Surprise, the double sticky foam doesn't hold on the back braces either!

I will have to decide if I want to Gorilla glue it or secure it with some small black screws. I'm leaning toward the small black screws.
I guess I could send it back, but too much hassle.

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45