Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up 2022 Model Y Performance that I ordered in November 2021, when I sold my 2021 Model Y LR for $8000 more than I paid for it after one year and 17,000 miles.
I have had a Model Y, 3, S and X and I find the Model Y to be the greatest "Value" of all Tesla vehicles.

I also chose the Y because I like to slide out of the vehicle and not boost myself up, like in the S and 3 which, for me, are just too low.

After adapting to the new software. "How do I open my damn glove box? and Where do I increase the autopilot speed?" Thank you GOOGLE for the answers. They certainly weren't in all of the instructional videos I watched.

I must say the ride was less rough than I expected having come from an older Model S. The Performance version is peppy and plenty for me. I don't need to waste $60k more to gain 1 second on the 0 to 60. I have had a Model X Raven and punched that ticket.

I am happy to report that I received the Ryzen Chip, the heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires.
I am disappointed to report that the rear double-pane insulated windows are no longer present.

PERFECT delivery with no issues and so far so with only 227 miles, I couldn't be more pleased.

The pickup process was smoother than I expected and Elana did a great job assisting me in walking down the checklist. My friend who owns my first Tesla (Tessie 1) took me to the appointment. There were some shrubs on the lower front bumper which Elana was able to quickly remove. A PERFECT delivery.

First impressions summary:
Fast and peppy and the 0-60 in 3.5 is more than I need (Even though I have had a Model X Raven with a 0-60 of 2.6 that could get me into trouble)

AMD Ryzen, laminate windows up front, heat pump, and the coveted Michelin All-Season tires on board.

Disappointed that they dropped the laminate on the rear windows.

The ride was less stiff and bumpy than I expected and that's coming from a 2014 Model S that glides along the road.

Handling is excellent.

Quiet as I would expect. Will add a rear compartment divider to improve that even more.

Added storage cubbies that slide and I highly recommend them.

It is going to take some time to get used to the new software update. I will dive deeper into the menu as time permits.

Tessie 7 will get its PPF on Jun 14 and have its mud flaps installed then as well as a carbon fiber application over the glaring white dash to tone it done. I am not a carbon fiber fan (like some who probably have carbon fiber underwear), but at least it will match the spoiler. The glaring white is noticeably distracting and near intolerable.

The phone charger space is phenomenal and even charges through the case. YES! I can now watch Waze without having to hold it between my legs.

Satisfied customer.

20220603_162348_resized.jpg

(Mod: Image added by TMC for Blog Feed)

Attachments

• 20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    20220603_162354_resized.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 738
  • 20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    20220604_115711_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 758
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t say necessary. The purpose of paint protection film, PPF, is to serve a sacrificial barrier so that when rock chips and other things that would otherwise damage your paint they hit the PPF instead. PPF is usually clear but can be made to look hazy. Tesla’s paint has a reputation for being poor so people like to cover it up. That plus the that the front of MY and M3 are just huge surfaces begging for paint chips. Again, not necessary but many do it.

Just Google “paint protection film” plus the city where you live and you’ll find installers. The cost runs about $1-2k for the front and goes up from there.

You can also buy precut kits and try to do it yourself. It’s will never look as good as professional doing it but it can still be OK.
Many places will do a “new car prep” one stage polish prior to PPF/ceramic as well which may uplift the poor paint job. I’m planning on this!

Reactions: Fairchild
It’s amazing to me how many new cars of various brands are delivered with a need for paint correction.
Perhaps naturally, many assert that paint quality is inversely related to production volume.
Logically the best paint shops go to the highest volume. I’d wager the best Tesla paint is from Grüneheide and Austin, both of which have the brand new highly automated paint shops.

Finally got a chance to drive my MYP and it's amazing. Same ride quality as my sr+ 3 and way faster. It's awesome. And p looks fantastic... the y has way more headroom and much larger cabin room. Side by side shot of his and hersView attachment 819609
Unpopular opinion in some circles, but I really do think that the Y is significantly better looking than the 3. The larger proportions just play nicer with the lines, bulges, etc.

Unpopular opinion in some circles, but I really do think that the Y is significantly better looking than the 3. The larger proportions just play nicer with the lines, bulges, etc.
I have both and depends on the angle.
At times my MYP looks like a fat cow of a M3 lol. At other angles it looks more aggressive ie. rear. The M3 I find is better proportioned from the side.

All in all I enjoy the ride and handing of the M3 LR (boost) over my MYP. Both are 22’. The MYP is the family SUV and great for what it offers over the 3. Can’t go wrong with either or both :)

24EB3B11-3C37-4E43-8F0B-5381FDE03DE6.jpeg
9E25A534-1678-483B-90D2-A763D994B581.jpeg

PPF will have ZERO impact on the value of your car. I buy and sell a lot of cars and nobody cares about stone chips, especially if you trade to a dealer. The buyers that spends thousands on it are just trying to justify it.

WIth that being said I am doing mine diy. $750 for full front and both rockers. Pro would charge me somewhere between $3k-$4k. No thanks.

^^^This. The model Y is not a multi hundred of thousand dollar exotic car. Its a commodity mass produced car people use for daily driving. Nobody needs to spend thousands protecting the paint.

Trade in value is likely to have no difference as you mention. If you do a private party sale its not a big deal either, do a proper wash/clay bar/polish/wax and 99% of buyers will say it looks better than new, even with a few chips.

Buyers of used cars are looking for damage, shady repairs, dents, interior tears, etc. Not tiny pin hole chips or a perfect mirror like finish.

Now if you personally want to protect the paint then fine just like window tint or seat covers thats an owner preference. But owners shouldn't think its an investment they will recoup when selling.

^^^This. The model Y is not a multi hundred of thousand dollar exotic car. Its a commodity mass produced car people use for daily driving. Nobody needs to spend thousands protecting the paint.

Trade in value is likely to have no difference as you mention. If you do a private party sale its not a big deal either, do a proper wash/clay bar/polish/wax and 99% of buyers will say it looks better than new, even with a few chips.

Buyers of used cars are looking for damage, shady repairs, dents, interior tears, etc. Not tiny pin hole chips or a perfect mirror like finish.

Now if you personally want to protect the paint then fine just like window tint or seat covers thats an owner preference. But owners shouldn't think its an investment they will recoup when selling.
For me, PPF/ceramic makes washing and maintenance much easier. I don’t have the time I used to for all of the upkeep and I like my cars to look clean and shiny, but that’s just me.

Reactions: z335is
For me, PPF/ceramic makes washing and maintenance much easier. I don’t have the time I used to for all of the upkeep and I like my cars to look clean and shiny, but that’s just me.
This. If you care about the appearance and/or ease of exterior maintenance, then ceramic/PPF are no brainers. That said, it is not a necessity and I certainly wouldn't splurge for it if it is stretching the budget.

It's a choice. Pride of Ownership. When buying a $70k vehicle, PPF shouldn't "stretch the budget" too much.

Work in Progress - Tire Work Pending

$1750 STEK DynoShield PPF (With final coat embedded ceramic)
$185 A-Pillar Satin Blackout
$47 Front Decal (Good-bye duck bill)
$37 CF Dash Cover
$40 Screen Protector
$20 Chemical Guys "WET"

Using Chemical Guys WET on the entire painted surface makes a huge difference. Easy on. 15 minutes and Easy Off. My wife & I did it in less than an hour.

Attachments

• CF Dash Cover 2.jpg
    CF Dash Cover 2.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220622_094358.jpg
    20220622_094358.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220622_094430.jpg
    20220622_094430.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220622_094328.jpg
    20220622_094328.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220622_094346.jpg
    20220622_094346.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 77
  • PPF Front.jpg
    PPF Front.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
It's a choice. Pride of Ownership. When buying a $70k vehicle, PPF shouldn't "stretch the budget" too much.

Work in Progress - Tire Work Pending

$1750 STEK DynoShield PPF (With final coat embedded ceramic)
$185 A-Pillar Satin Blackout
$47 Front Decal (Good-bye duck bill)
$37 CF Dash Cover
$40 Screen Protector
$20 Chemical Guys "WET"

Using Chemical Guys WET on the entire painted surface makes a huge difference. Easy on. 15 minutes and Easy Off. My wife & I did it in less than an hour.
You installed the ppf under an hour?

DYNOshield Hydrophobic Paint Protection Film | STEK USA

Great results. Reasonable price. Market leader for years in making top coat of the product ceramic. Installers nationwide.

Expel and others are just experimenting with that process now.

I would never install my own PPF. That's like installing your own Pacemaker, but to each their own.

Great results. Reasonable price. Market leader for years in making top coat of the product ceramic. Installers nationwide.

I would never install my own PPF. That's like installing your own Pacemaker, but to each their own.
Ugh… Dynoshield is garbage. Lifts waaay too easily. You’ll be replacing film in a year or two.

Reactions: timberlights
FYI i'm going from a 2018 Model X with air suspension to a 2022 Model Y Performance. The so called "rough ride" that goes with the performance model is a non-issue and i don't even notice it. Its more likely FUD spread by people wanting P models and not wanting LR people to switch by somehow downselling the P model. Believe me, i notice no difference between this and a car that had air suspension.

Ugh… Dynoshield is garbage. Lifts waaay too easily. You’ll be replacing film in a year or two.
You must have had an inexperienced installer to have that bad of an experience, unless you DIY. It's been on the vehicle in the picture for 8 years and still looks like new. I've had it on three Tesla's with nothing but a great shine, easy maintenance and no issues. Sorry for your bad experience, you might seek out an experienced installer. Dynoshield has a replacement warranty for yellowing, bubbling or cracking. You should have claimed it. DYNO Series PPF Warranty - STEK

Attachments

• 20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    20220603_164301_resized (2).jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 72

Gotcha thanks for the response. Did you only get the front covered with ppf and apply the WET to the areas without PPF?

Gotcha thanks for the response. Did you only get the front covered with ppf and apply the WET to the areas without PPF?
I got the front, mirrors, and pillars covered. To me, that was the most cost-effective. $1750. Applied "WET" on everything including the front.
Just keep it off the black, as it will dry white like any wax would. It gives you the best shine ever and protects your vehicle including the part with PPF.

Reactions: Logic335