Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions of Hakkapeliitta R3s on Model 3 on snow and ice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey crew,

just wanted to give a quick review of my first impressions of some new Nokian hakkapeliitta R3 235/45 r18 98t xl bsw that I just put on my 2019 M3 long range rear wheel drive.

Bottom line: they're amazing. Well worth the extra cost.

I live in Boulder, CO and we just got a big dump of snow. About 10 inches. Last night I drove on fresh packed snow and even cut some fresh tracks in deep powder. The Hakka's did really well.

Only thing I noticed was that I can't accelerate too much around a corner. I started to fishtail a bit when accelerating too much. I expected that and was just pushing the car to find the limits.

I didn't need to set the regen breaking to Chill mode either. Tested it multiple times on packed snow and on hard ice this morning. Had no issues with Standard regen breaking setting.

And this morning on the hard packed ice and also 4 to 5 inches of deep, slippery slush, I did many slalom turns at 35 mph and had zero slippage. That was super insane to feel. There was no pavement visible. Solid packed ice.

I also did some high speed sharp corners in a parking lot. Same thing. The Hakka's grip super well.

Only weird thing I've noticed: right after they were installed, I noticed that the regen breaking felt weird. It wasn't quite at the Chill level feel, or how it feels when the battery is near 100% charge and doesn't do any regen breaking, but it's definitely less than it was with the stock 18" tires.

I have no idea why though. Regen setting is still on Standard and above 20 mph, the car doesn't grab and slow down as much as it did with the stock tires. As soon as I get below 20 mph though, it suddenly grabs and slows way down, just like it normally did with the stock tires.

But above that speed, I'm having to actually use the breaks way more than normal. 99% of the time driving around town, I hardly ever have to touch the breaks because the motor breaking works so well. That's not true now with the Hakka's installed.

I keep checking through the settings to see if the guy at Discount Tire accidentally changed some setting, but I don't see anything odd.

Only thing I can figure is that these tires are heavier and have more rotational momentum, and the engine breaking isn't as effective as it is with the stock tires, but I'm totally guessing.

And by the way, I'm noticing this lower engine breaking at all air temps and states of charge.

If anyone has any insight about why this is happening, I'd love to know. I miss not needing to hardly ever use the breaks.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas about what's up with this half power engine breaking above 20 mph.

And if you're shopping around for snow tires for a Model 3, I'd highly recommend these Hakka R3's.

Cheers,
Forest

Thanks for the review. How much did you pay and where did you get them? I was pricing at Discount Tire for $243 + Tax (no shipping).

You bet. Glad it helped a bit. I got them from Discount Tire here in Boulder. While in line, I pulled up the tire on another online discount tire place where I found them for $222 per tire. Asked the guy at Discount Tire if they would match the price and he did. No problem. They offer that price matching normally anyway.

I was stoked with that price. Cheapest I found was on Amazon for $219, but the price went up on Amazon the next day.

Fully installed was $880. I chose not to buy wheels for the snow tires yet. Will do that next season. Just swapping with the stock aero 18" wheels I have.

:)

I live in Denver and had Michelin Xi3 put on today and was happy to feel similarly. A while back we had a Yukon Denali XL on Blizzak DMV2s and haven’t driven anything as good in the snow as that until now. I think the Model 3 is a beast on snow tires.

Last winter a ton of RWD Model 3 owners said they lost a bunch of regen immediately after installing snow tires. I thought it was resolved. Apparently not.

Maybe the regen will recalibrate itself over time.