Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions: Y vs Macan S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t put a great deal of mileage on my new Y, but I thought I’d post my initial reactions. My Macan S is a 2017 with air suspension. I like the Y a lot, it’s clearly pointing to the future of cars in so many respects, and the electric motor and instant acceleration make it fun to drive. But compared to the Macan, it’s far noisier (road noise) and a far rougher of a ride. And while the Y’s handling is good (cornering), it’s not in the same league as the Macan. The Macan is supposedly going full electric is 2022.. that will make for an interesting comparison at that time. (Y is stealth performance)

I haven’t put a great deal of mileage on my new Y, but I thought I’d post my initial reactions. My Macan S is a 2017 with air suspension. I like the Y a lot, it’s clearly pointing to the future of cars in so many respects, and the electric motor and instant acceleration make it fun to drive. But compared to the Macan, it’s far noisier (road noise) and a far rougher of a ride. And while the Y’s handling is good (cornering), it’s not in the same league as the Macan. The Macan is supposedly going full electric is 2022.. that will make for an interesting comparison at that time. (Y is stealth performance)

How do the sticker prices compare between the two? I did a focus group that involved a Macan and didn’t realize how “affordable” they are.

I'd also be very curious to see an actual decibal noise test in a Macan (or other similar ICE). I have read several people saying that they think the Model Y has a lot more road noise, however I wonder how much of that is simply because in an ICE some of the road noise is lost in the white noise of the engine, and it may not actually be as much quieter as they think, they're just able to hear more from the road in the Model Y...

I’m mostly curious on the MSRP between this person’s Macan and their Model Y since Porsche prices vary so much.

I don't recall all of the items/price of the Macan S. But the two significant additions that affect driving performance over the base S are air suspension and the Porsche Torque Vectoring (both of which I have), that gets the price to 65k. I also think you are comparing apples to oranges as you drill down... full self driving on the Y, different stereo systems, leather dash, etc. on the Macan.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and mtndrew1
I came from a 2018 Macan S as well. Loved it. Tight, quiet, powerful. Now that I have put about 750 miles on my Y, there is no going back for me. Among the obvious cool stuff about the Y, I guess I really like the simplicity of it. Thousands fewer moving parts. I guess its like the difference between a Best Buy store, and an Apple store. It's what I imagined space flight to be like. My 2 cents.

Nice to hear your perspective. The Y is louder and won't ride at the level of the Porsche for sure but I'm surprised to hear the handling isn't as good considering the low COG of the Y. The Y advantages are far quicker, cheaper, much more energy efficient, and better tech.

We are waiting on our Y to arrive. We currently have a BMW 2 series M-sport and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. We are wondering if the quiet and smooth ride of the Jeep will make us keep the Jeep for longer trips rather than taking the Y.

I’ve put more miles on the Y and my initial impressions generally hold. The Y is a great car, fun to drive, and very practical for an EV. The Macan just shows Porsche’s pedigree as both sports car and luxury auto maker. For example, the fit and finish are far better. As a 3-year-old car, the Macan doesn’t have a creak or vibration (unlike the new Y). And it handles more like a 911 than an SUV. And while one needs more service with an ICE car, and you’ll pay a premium for routine stuff with Porsche, they take care of you without friction and at a very high-level of competence. But, Tesla is years ahead on the EV front, and the Y reflects that. Tesla offers an evolved direction for autos, and clearly the other manufacturers need to move (fast) in that direction. And I have to admit, there’s something satisfying about one’s car texting you that the charging is complete!

I’ve put more miles on the Y and my initial impressions generally hold. The Y is a great car, fun to drive, and very practical for an EV. The Macan just shows Porsche’s pedigree as both sports car and luxury auto maker. For example, the fit and finish are far better. As a 3-year-old car, the Macan doesn’t have a creak or vibration (unlike the new Y). And it handles more like a 911 than an SUV. And while one needs more service with an ICE car, and you’ll pay a premium for routine stuff with Porsche, they take care of you without friction and at a very high-level of competence. But, Tesla is years ahead on the EV front, and the Y reflects that. Tesla offers an evolved direction for autos, and clearly the other manufacturers need to move (fast) in that direction. And I have to admit, there’s something satisfying about one’s car texting you that the charging is complete!

Yeah, you're comparing a premium auto maker that's been honing and improving their cars for over 100 years to a new car maker. I'm surprised the gap's not larger.

...and your software update is complete.

The MY will continue to improve. The Macan is as good as it gets. IMHO the Macan is a fabulous small SUV. We test drove and considered just a week before taking delivery of the MY.

Reactions: Scott7
Would any of the Model Y’s weaknesses in stuff like noise and ride quality persuade any of you to consider cars like the upcoming Mustang Mach-E? I know some might consider it blasphemy, but things like road noise and ride quality impact you EVERY MOMENT you are behind the wheel...your passengers too.

I like the tech in Teslas and appreciate supercharging for sure, but the former is at least partially offset by by things like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in other brands.
For me supercharging has been nice, but I have an ICE vehicle for my out of town trips and frankly, it rides quieter than my S so, in some ways we prefer it anyway!

Tesla can’t keep ignoring the other aspects of auto-building for much longer IMO.

...and your software update is complete.

The MY will continue to improve. The Macan is as good as it gets. IMHO the Macan is a fabulous small SUV. We test drove and considered just a week before taking delivery of the MY.
The Porsche media software is dreadful. So many counter-intuitive and just plain stupid things that if Tesla ever did, would be fixed OTA almost immediately.

• Informative
I am driving a 2018 Macan base with sport package and 22 inch wheels now. Also took delivery of Y-performace with pUp and returned it after 1 day. The drive was too rough in the Y. The Macan is just the best car for long hours of driving. It could easily be the best compact SUV out there.

My wife loves the Macan but I really like the Tesla experience (rented X on Turo for fun) and am making up reasons to get the Y. I ended up ordering another Y AWD. Hoping to get it soon and do some short camping trips.

• Informative
Model Y is the smaller and more nimble of Tesla SUVs. They ride and handle between the Model 3 and Model X.

The Model X has the air suspension and much quieter ride.

Macan is a pretty good handling and driving SUV. What it lacks is self driving, instant throttle response and no polluting exhaust.

People that are used to the Macan will probably feel more at home with getting a new Macan to replace it.
People used to the power, less maintenance and clean driving will feel more at home with another EV.

Dirty little secret of the Macan is that while it feels pretty nimble and well handling within about 80% of it's maximum cornering limits, it pretty much falls apart when pushed beyond that 80%. Also rolls over much easier than the Model Y and not sure it passes the Moose Test.

Macan doesn’t have a creak or vibration (unlike the new Y). And it handles more like a 911 than an SUV.

Really odd thing to say. You already didn't seem to notice the Cg and here you are comparing a front engine mounted SUV, to the rear-engine mounted, low Cg, of a flat-six 911? And, thank God, 911's don't run on air suspensions.

Gonna keep looking for hot takes. Enjoy your "Porsche".

It does bug me a ton that the 2018 Macans don't have adaptive / traffic aware cruise control as standard. For a lot of Tesla owners and folks like myself they are more than just devices for mobility. The entertainment, things like camp mode and the updates make it some sort of a hybrid utility machine that people look forward to spending time in. A Macan or any other car for that matter, can only compete with a Tesla in one dimension ( Mobility ) and nothing else. And when you don't mind giving up a little bit of the cushiness of the ride, for the same price, in a Y, we get to experience all the other stuff in a nicely integrated package that no other device currently can along with the mobility.

Would any of the Model Y’s weaknesses in stuff like noise and ride quality persuade any of you to consider cars like the upcoming Mustang Mach-E? I know some might consider it blasphemy, but things like road noise and ride quality impact you EVERY MOMENT you are behind the wheel...your passengers too.

I like the tech in Teslas and appreciate supercharging for sure, but the former is at least partially offset by by things like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in other brands.
For me supercharging has been nice, but I have an ICE vehicle for my out of town trips and frankly, it rides quieter than my S so, in some ways we prefer it anyway!

Tesla can’t keep ignoring the other aspects of auto-building for much longer IMO.

Well, here again, I don't suppose you used a decibel meter, did you. Your ears automatically tune out all that white noise the engine leaks into the passenger compartment, and you don't hear the road noise as well. You THINK the gas car is quieter, but I'm not so sure. Gas cars have tires that run on the road, too, and yet the engine noise drowns that out, whereas in an electric, that's all you hear. And since you haven't driven the "upcoming" Mustang, how do you know its road noise is so quiet? You don't.

And as for me, I have a TESLA for ALL of my trips. Don't need two different cars. My Model S rides quieter, and my passengers agree. But hey, it's all about saving the world, right? With a few million more people like you, I guess we're toast. And I use my garage to charge. With near 400 mile range, who needs supercharging?

Reactions: CSFTN
Well, here again, I don't suppose you used a decibel meter, did you. Your ears automatically tune out all that white noise the engine leaks into the passenger compartment, and you don't hear the road noise as well. You THINK the gas car is quieter, but I'm not so sure. Gas cars have tires that run on the road, too, and yet the engine noise drowns that out, whereas in an electric, that's all you hear. And since you haven't driven the "upcoming" Mustang, how do you know its road noise is so quiet? You don't.

And as for me, I have a TESLA for ALL of my trips. Don't need two different cars. My Model S rides quieter, and my passengers agree. But hey, it's all about saving the world, right? With a few million more people like you, I guess we're toast. And I use my garage to charge. With near 400 mile range, who needs supercharging?

Is it up for debate that Teslas are generally noisier than their ICE equivalents at similar (and often lower) price points? I thought that was WELL publicized on this very forum (and for me, in real life).

The Model 3 forum is rife with posts. As an example:
My biggest improvement with road noise
Wind/road noise from doors/windows -- fix it for good
Noise reduction rear areas
Sound Deadening Model 3

The noise at freeway speeds for most modern cars is tire and wind related...not engine. Indeed, when you let off the gas on a modern car and "coast" the fuel actually stops flowing through the injectors I believe and the engine essentially "pumps" but nothing is firing (which is why you see those "instant mileage" trip computer readouts go to infinity on gas cars).

As to the upcoming Mustang, you are correct, I haven't driven it so I obviously don't know it it will be quieter, but I suspect Ford won't have suddenly forgotten how to insulate a car, weatherstrip a windshield or put better door seals in place just because it is electric.