Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I have no regrets about buying this M3. I do wonder, though, whether I should have bought the SR+ instead of the LR. I wonder whether the nine grand is worth the extra 72 miles EPA range, considering that that would be a concern only two or three times a year. Oh well, done is done.

I have no second thoughts, recriminations, or regrets about getting FSD. After the cameras were calibrated, I drove with it on a freeway, and it was a delight. One thing, however, is that it wouldn't work at night; I could still get AP, but not FSD. Is that a known limitation, or what?

I used Summon to drive the car out of my driveway, just to test it. I do have one question about Summon: Is it straight-line only, or can it turn at all, even slightly, like to avoid something in the driveway or garage?

I'm going to take the car to an empty portion of a parking lot to try out Smart Summon; I'm not going to try it around other cars yet. I just want to get a feel for it.

You got it! Congrats!

I've found that if I use dumb summon it just goes straight. I haven't tried sending it into the garage though; I feel like it's supposed to maneuver in that case, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Give it a few days to settle in before you worry about feature enabling. By FSD do you mean navigate on autopilot?

I hope you have a good sense of humor, because smart summon is either terrifying or pretty damn funny, depending on how you roll.

• Love
Reactions: Gordon87
I used Summon to drive the car out of my driveway, just to test it. I do have one question about Summon: Is it straight-line only, or can it turn at all, even slightly, like to avoid something in the driveway or garage?

Regular summon (if you hold Forward or Reverse) will steer very slightly to avoid things or give more side clearance from a garage wall, for example. I wouldn't expect it to dodge anything in the center of the driving path though, but it should stop.

The pillar and fender cams are often blind at night for various reasons, but this is probably why you found you couldn't use FSD features at night. Same can happen in direct, low sunlight. Cameras need to be kept clean, and sometimes condensation appears in front of the pillar cans when temperatures drop (night time).

Basic Summon only goes on a straight line basically. It will make very minor corrections at most from what I've seen.

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
First of all, I have no regrets about buying this M3. I do wonder, though, whether I should have bought the SR+ instead of the LR. I wonder whether the nine grand is worth the extra 72 miles EPA range, considering that that would be a concern only two or three times a year. Oh well, done is done.

Congratulations! LR isn't a mistake... there's a bunch more stuff beyond just the bigger battery.
- 2nd motor (All wheel drive)
- Much better stereo
- Rear seat heaters
- Fog lamps
- 1 year Premium Connectivity
- Footwell lights

So don't concern yourself with that - drive the car and enjoy it!!

Where are you based? If in colder climates, you’ll welcome the added range when the weather turns and the car uses more energy to condition the batteries.... In any case, welcome, congratulations and enjoy!
Dayton, OH area. I don't plan to do any long-range driving in the cold weather, though. I'm saving that for the spring through early fall.

You got it! Congrats!

I've found that if I use dumb summon it just goes straight. I haven't tried sending it into the garage though; I feel like it's supposed to maneuver in that case, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Give it a few days to settle in before you worry about feature enabling. By FSD do you mean navigate on autopilot?

I hope you have a good sense of humor, because smart summon is either terrifying or pretty damn funny, depending on how you roll.
Yes, NOA.

Smart Summon worked once I got within range. It was an empty parking lot, with nothing to hit. I ain't that dumb.

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
Congratulations! LR isn't a mistake... there's a bunch more stuff beyond just the bigger battery.
- Much better stereo
- Rear seat heaters
- Fog lamps
- Footwell lights

Exactly. Also you''ll be thankful for that extra range come trips, cold weather, etc....

Reactions: dmurphy
- Much better stereo
- Rear seat heaters
- Fog lamps
- Footwell lights

Exactly.

Not to mention how well the LR AWD retains its value.

Congratulations!

Yes, NOA.

Smart Summon worked once I got within range. It was an empty parking lot, with nothing to hit. I ain't that dumb.
Check Openstreetmap.org for any parking lots you may use smart summon. You can see how well they’re mapped. If your car doesn’t seem to take the most direct route to you, it could be the mapping, like one-way directions. That sort of thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Congrats on the purchase. I recall reading your posts waiting in anticipation! I also have the AWD and it’s totally worth it. FSD, that was an easy pass for me, but otherwise the car continues to amaze me. I hope your delivery was painless as well.

Congrats on the purchase. I recall reading your posts waiting in anticipation! I also have the AWD and it’s totally worth it. FSD, that was an easy pass for me, but otherwise the car continues to amaze me. I hope your delivery was painless as well.
It was. I had to go into the store only three times.
First was to ask where to put my check; none of the paperwork said.
Second was because I couldn't close the front console storage bin.
Third was because my phone key didn't activate. the SA said it would take at least an hour. It took about three hours.
Couldn't find any fit and finish problems, thankfully.

The M3 I took delivery of yesterday has a horizontal white line on each door release. One of the first things I did when showing the car to my adult daughter was to have her sit in the passenger seat and ask her to open the door. She had absolutely no problem finding the button, and opening the door.

Thanks! I remember trying to get out of an M3 (early days) during a very rainy morning ridesharing commute and using the emergency release because I didn't spot that little line...and seeing the cringe of the driver. Of course, that'll be me soon, which is why I'm asking!

I have no second thoughts, recriminations, or regrets about getting FSD. After the cameras were calibrated, I drove with it on a freeway, and it was a delight. One thing, however, is that it wouldn't work at night; I could still get AP, but not FSD. Is that a known limitation, or what?

I'm going to take the car to an empty portion of a parking lot to try out Smart Summon; I'm not going to try it around other cars yet. I just want to get a feel for it.
Haven’t had any issues with FSD at night...used it through Atlanta at night in the rain letting it move across 7 lanes of traffic to get to 575 turnoff with no issues even (although I always require it to ask if ok to switch lanes...waiting for fsd to be more feature complete before it switches lanes without asking. Have fun with the car. First things I added were tiny wide angle mirrors that stick inside the rear view side mirrors...$3.49 each at autozone and screen protector, console covers, center armrest cover (we have a dog), a roll of pfe (cut pieces for the driver and passenger door kick plates before that got scuffed up and also small pieces to protect paint from the mudflaps...another important add). Then various odds and ends you will see people listing in this group.