Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First it won't turn on, now it won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my M3 at my local service center last week for several items including the car was dead when you entered and could take several seconds to a min to wake up. They updated the software to 2018.24.1 and that seems to have fixed the issue. Now it's sitting in my garage and there's a fan running. Since last week I've had the car not turn off and had to lock/unlock several times to get it to turn off. Now a faint fan is running and I've seen this a couple of times over the past four days. Anyone else having these issues? It's warm out but the car has been sitting inside my garage for almost two hours since it was parked. Also it's not plugged into the wall charger.

Doesn't need to be charged. I'm not asking to review charging procedures.

Just got off the phone with Tesla Service and they say that's normal and it's the battery cooling fan. While I'm sure that's it in the month I've owned the car it has not stayed on for two hours straight after parking the car. Since the software update we've also had the car stay completely on. While the new update seems to have solved the old problem it's still buggy.

Doesn't need to be charged. I'm not asking to review charging procedures.

Just got off the phone with Tesla Service and they say that's normal and it's the battery cooling fan. While I'm sure that's it in the month I've owned the car it has not stayed on for two hours straight after parking the car. Since the software update we've also had the car stay completely on. While the new update seems to have solved the old problem it's still buggy.

Plugging in allows it to keep your battery temperature conditioned (cooled in this case) without the discharge of the battery.

Reactions: ord3r and Carrera
Thanks for the reset tips. If it doesn't shut off in another hour I'll do that. It's been on for almost three hours now.

I have read the fine print and discussed it with the service advisor and he told me what I'm doing is perfect. My interpretation of the manual is not to let the car sit uncharged as draining the battery very low is not good. I'm charging the car to 90% as recommended by Tesla. The service rep recommended to charge it to 100% and take it down to 10% approximately once a quarter. So if I drive the car say 15 miles I should charge it? The car is typically driven 50 miles a day and I have a Tesla wall charger on a 60 amp circuit. One big reason for buying this car was the lack or range anxiety. If it's below 150 mile range it gets charged and if it's above it doesn't.

m3 charging.jpg

Reactions: Common_Loon
“There is no advantage to waiting until the battery level is low before charging. In fact, the battery performs best when charged regularly.” How did you interpret that statement to decide “if it’s below 150 miles it gets charged and if it’s above it doesn’t”? You have a Wall Connector, why not just routinely plug it in when you get home and let the battery management system manage the battery?

Reactions: 0ptions
Thanks for the reset tips. If it doesn't shut off in another hour I'll do that. It's been on for almost three hours now.

I have read the fine print and discussed it with the service advisor and he told me what I'm doing is perfect. My interpretation of the manual is not to let the car sit uncharged as draining the battery very low is not good. I'm charging the car to 90% as recommended by Tesla. The service rep recommended to charge it to 100% and take it down to 10% approximately once a quarter. So if I drive the car say 15 miles I should charge it? The car is typically driven 50 miles a day and I have a Tesla wall charger on a 60 amp circuit. One big reason for buying this car was the lack or range anxiety. If it's below 150 mile range it gets charged and if it's above it doesn't.

Higher average state of charge has a bigger impact on battery lifespan than does the depth of discharge. IMO, there is nothing wrong with your charging routine. Only thing is, I would recommend charging ASAP if below 20%.

Reactions: Carrera
Not sure about the cabin overheat protection. The fan I hear is coming from the frunk area and closer to the base of the windshield than the bumper. When I got in the car there was no airflow if that's what it's supposed to do.

After being on for four hours I took the car for about a six mile drive and it's working fine. Whatever it is I can't imagine running non stop for four hours is normal. It's still close to 90 out so it hasn't cooled off much here in the Sacramento area. When I pulled the car into my garage and shut it down the fan is still going. I'll give it an hour to see if it turns off. If not I'll plug it in and charge it and hope it's still not running tomorrow morning.

Thanks for everyone's input.