Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First it won't turn on, now it won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next time this happens, try plugging it in. Just to humor us, if nothing else. And, you've got me curious. With the Roadster (yes, a very different car), the coolant pump will run continuously until the battery gets below about 31C, and it generally won't actively cool the battery if it's just sitting there, unless it's being charged. With that much thermal mass, it's a long wait... One way to trick the Roadster into pulling the temp down is to do a 30 minute or so "range" charge, since range mode gives priority to cooling in order to stuff more power into the battery. I'm wondering if something like this will also work for the Model 3.

Lithium batteries will last longer, by the way, with a lot of small charges, vs a fewer number of larger ones. They're not buckets of electrons. That's partly why Tesla suggests plugging in the car whenever it's not being used.

Reactions: Carrera
The fan did go off by itself.

The high yesterday was 95 but it was 105 over the weekend and the fan turned off fairly quickly. The fan running for four hours is a long time.

I forgot to mention that although the car was not plugged in I did plug it in and ran the charger for a few minutes and that didn't turn the fan off. I unplugged it to see if it was still running, which it was, so I left it unplugged.

My wife drove the car to work this morning and it ran fine and the fan was not running when she got out of the car. I'll check shortly when she arrives home.

My wife arrived home and parked the car in our driveway under the shade of a tree. Her drive home from work was approximately 23 miles and mostly on the fwy. It's 85 out with a light breeze and the fan has been on for over an hour. I just pulled it into the garage and will give it an hour to see if it turns off on its own. If not I'll plug it in and charge it. I'm going to charge it tonight anyway but I want to see if the fan turns off on its own. Prior to the software upgrade the fan was not running for more than a few minutes after it was turned off.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I was monitoring that and I lost at least 3 miles of range in the four hours.

What percentage did you start at?

I'm asking because in my 500e the car will aggressively cool the battery above ~85%, but then all cooling activity (and associated vampire drain) completely stops after that threshold is passed. It's a different car, but curious if Tesla has similar behavior.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
I finally got the car to the service center yesterday. After the fan being on continuously for two weeks it decides to shut off last Saturday two days before the apt. What I was told is it's the "cabin overheat protection" fan. This is exactly what was written:

"Found cabin overheat protection to be set to the ON position. This feature will turn on the A/C and the fans anytime the internal cabin temperature reaches 105 degrees or higher (very easy for the inside of the cabin to reach this temperature at even low outside temps. looking through logs there was no alerts found and the pariscope graph (printed copy attached to RO) shows that cabin overheat protection has been on fairly consistently since the end of June. Turned off cabin overheat protection , customer to monitor."

So a few observations about this:
1. I didn't have this issue with similar outside temps prior to my first visit to the service center for other issues. A software update was performed and the issue started immediately after the car returned from the apt.
2. There's no way the car was 105 the whole time, probably less than 95% of that time if that. The car is stored in a garage and the fan never shut off when it was parked. Meaning the cabin was in the 70's yet the fan was on.
3. The A/C was not running, only some low flow fan. When the A/C fan is on you know it.
4. They updated my software again and the fan has not come back on. The fan was on when I returned from the service center yesterday, it was 105 outside, and the fan shut off within 60 seconds of getting out of the car and never turned back on. I checked several times before I went to sleep last night.
5. The battery drain when the fan was on, I took a bunch of screen shots and video, was close to 1 mile of range loss per hour. They told me this is normal which is complete BS. There was virtually no loss, literally none, overnight prior to the first software update.
6. The battery drain overnight last night was zero and I left it unplugged to check this.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
I'm still seeing 1MPH battery drain on my car with no chance that the cabin overheat protection is the thing doing it. Inside temps do not exceed 80F when my car is at work parked out of the sun. Same loss during the time when it's parked at home in my driveway overnight. Still on 2018.24.1 and participating with teslogs beta program, although my drain was the same 1MPH before.

Well it's back and this time it's really sucking up the battery. It used up 44 miles of range between midnight and 6 am this morning. And yes it was charged and plugged in. Anyone else having similar issues? A different fan is running this time and it's louder. I hope this gets resolved soon. I want to say after owning a dozen new cars in the past 20 years this is the first one that needed to be serviced three times in the first two months of ownership. The driving experience is nice but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
Well it's back and this time it's really sucking up the battery. It used up 44 miles of range between midnight and 6 am this morning. And yes it was charged and plugged in. Anyone else having similar issues? A different fan is running this time and it's louder. I hope this gets resolved soon. I want to say after owning a dozen new cars in the past 20 years this is the first one that needed to be serviced three times in the first two months of ownership. The driving experience is nice but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Did you get the BMS update installed?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden