Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First L3 Self Driving Car - Audi A8 world premieres in Barcelona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bjornb I think it is expected to launch with the same zFAS/single lidar as the new Audi A8, so 60 kph Traffic-jam pilot to begin with /in select markets where available). Later model-years then upped to 130 kph and eventually Level 4 parking etc. with two Lidars and second-gen zFAS, but probably not software upgradeable...

I have made a down payment of CHF 2500 to Audi Switzerland in order to secure my place in the queue when the car will be released in Q1 2019. Depending on how it will be I might sell the A4 that my wife drives or the Model X. Of course I will have to weigh in the possibility to trade in my current Model X in 2019 for a better specd one. It is all very fluid and the down payment is refundable so I have nothing to loose and all options are open.

Audi will have to be very convincing in upgradeability and charging network setup.

Reactions: Anssi and hiroshiy
I believe audi lost their chance to dominate when they couldnt activate their l3 traffic jam system in 2017. A 2019 activation is basically pointless and not useful in the consumers mind. Because in 2019 everyone would be looking forward to 2020. What audi would be putting out in the form of traffic jam would be ignored.

I believe audi lost their chance to dominate when they couldnt activate their l3 traffic jam system in 2017. A 2019 activation is basically pointless and not useful in the consumers mind. Because in 2019 everyone would be looking forward to 2020. What audi would be putting out in the form of traffic jam would be ignored.

I'm still thinking, Euro-centric as my PoV may be, that Audi may release the Traffic-jam pilot in the (calendar) 2018 model-year switch i.e. building around week 22/2018 and in customer hands late this spring in Germany (and then onwards to other European countries, if enabled there). That's not too far away. If enabled for the U.S. market, it could make the Audi A8 launch there in H2/2018... no? (That's 2019 model-year technically, of course.)

Last edited:

So what you're saying is you were wrong.

"none of their car will have a system improvement in the lifetime of those, requiring people simply to purchase a brand new car"

Not true, all major OEMS are switching to a OTA updates
I temains to be seen honestly. I do not believe one second that my friend will receive update (not over-the-air but even just at the garage during maintenance) that will enhance or change the Lane Assist features. Updates that you get during maintenance are onbly for safety or bugs improvment but have never been for new features with Audi and I still think it is the case.

You will argue that it is unacceptable that it was not available before on my brand new S75D, but I am really happy that at least, finally, a few weeks after getting it, I received an update adding Auto-wipers. Super happy as well with the Easy Entry that was modified to work now with the seat belt (and not just when you put in park). This is really a philosophy that sell me Teslas over others where you are stuck for the year to come with the same software even if the hardware would perfectly be capable for more.

I temains to be seen honestly. I do not believe one second that my friend will receive update (not over-the-air but even just at the garage during maintenance) that will enhance or change the Lane Assist features. Updates that you get during maintenance are onbly for safety or bugs improvment but have never been for new features with Audi and I still think it is the case.

You will argue that it is unacceptable that it was not available before on my brand new S75D, but I am really happy that at least, finally, a few weeks after getting it, I received an update adding Auto-wipers. Super happy as well with the Easy Entry that was modified to work now with the seat belt (and not just when you put in park). This is really a philosophy that sell me Teslas over others where you are stuck for the year to come with the same software even if the hardware would perfectly be capable for more.
I agree with your thinking. In July 2016 we wanted to replace my wife's aging SUV and we ended up getting a Mercedes GLC. It was difficult to find the Mercedes advanced driver assist features in the GLC and also have other features my wife wanted like the Sports Trim package and she really did not care about these features. Anyway, when we took it back for the 1 year update the Service Rep said there were a couple software updates. I then asked do you update you driver assist features on a regular bases (qtr, yearly)? He could not think of 1 update. Maybe he was wrong. Anyway, that was the time I was also thinking hard about a new car and me to drive and this was my number one feature requirement. I got the Tesla MS a couple months after.

Updates that you get during maintenance are onbly for safety or bugs improvment but have never been for new features with Audi and I still think it is the case.

Audi has had feature updates to the MMI system.

My Audi A8 got music streaming and Google Street View as maintenance installed updates (both actually fairly significant software features) during my ownership and a previous car (an Audi A6) got 3D view to Navigation and some minor additions as an update (a rather smaller feature update).

But yes, mostly just the MMI. Other updates are usually just bug fixes. And never OTA so far.

Interesting to see if this changes at all with the Level 3 system. Probably not?

My Audi A8 got music streaming and Google Street View as maintenance installed updates (both actually fairly significant software features) during my ownership and a previous car (an Audi A6) got 3D view to Navigation and some minor additions as an update (a rather smaller feature update).

But yes, mostly just the MMI. Other updates are usually just bug fixes. And never OTA so far.

Interesting to see if this changes at all with the Level 3 system. Probably not?
Indeed, I was even not aware of that and Audi never told me that there was an update for my Audi A6 in 5 years of ownership.
It seems that this is the ONlY update that ever happened for the Audi A6. Ever.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Can someone explain to me what this is supposed to do beyond what AP does? In traffic jams AP performs very well and I rarely have to intervene.

Automatically pass cars. Transition from one interstate to another based on Nav. These are the only two major features that I know of for freeways. It is supposed to drop you at your door then go park and pick you up when summoned.

• Informative
Reactions: Stoneymonster

FWIW this is highly regional. My MMI in my A6 had a compatibility problem with certain docked iPods and I know from a coworker's S6 with a slightly newer firmware that his does not have the same issue. But, even after approaching Audi service about it, I got a consistent answer from multiple dealerships that they will not update firmware unless there is a specific TSB saying to do so as part of the resolution. And there was nothing available.

Back when I had a Chrysler 300C they had a very similar policy, but we were able to sneak in feature updates by lying to the dealership about contrived problems. There was a TSB for "French is messed up in the instrument cluster screen" and that sneaked in a 0-60 timer display.

My SO's 2017 A4 has a myriad of Carplay connectivity issues. There's several newer MMI builds in newer builds of the car. So far once again, the service dept does not acknowledge the ability to install firmware updates.

I'm really hoping that the arrival of zFAS or years of looking over at Tesla causes Audi to have a change of heart regarding this, but it's not really likely IMO. I'd love to be proven wrong.

@chillaban Yep. For some MMI versions you could actually buy the updates from official spare parts very cheaply (price of CDs basically). Once they moved to updating everything from the servers (starting with the launch of MMI 3G in the original Q5), you pretty much needed a reason or an excuse. I agree - too bad - and I hope it will change.

• Helpful
Has anyone seen anything about L3 in the upcoming e-tron Quattro electric SUV?
In this video:
At about 1:30 he says:
“The high end zFas processor for piloted driving”

Hey, good catch. So probably 2 cars launching in 2018 with L3 traffic jam pilot

@bjornb I think it is expected to launch with the same zFAS/single lidar as the new Audi A8, so 60 kph Traffic-jam pilot to begin with /in select markets where available). Later model-years then upped to 130 kph and eventually Level 4 parking etc. with two Lidars and second-gen zFAS, but probably not software upgradeable...

The 2020 MY launching in 2019 will have the 130kph L4 highway pilot, with like you said, with two Lidars and second-gen zFAS.

Why?
They couldn't activate the first L3 in 2017 from german regulation, so they just need to delay it a year. So now its launching in 2018.

Also, it's not like L3 traffic jam pilot was going to dominate or be disruptive or anything, it was simply a stepping stone to something that is more important L4 and highway pilot.

I'm still thinking, Euro-centric as my PoV may be, that Audi may release the Traffic-jam pilot in the (calendar) 2018 model-year switch i.e. building around week 22/2018 and in customer hands late this spring in Germany (and then onwards to other European countries, if enabled there). That's not too far away. If enabled for the U.S. market, it could make the Audi A8 launch there in H2/2018... no? (That's 2019 model-year technically, of course.)

Yes, the A8 is launching in H2 2018 as a 2019 MY. Why is there any doubt about this? This is what Audi has been saying for the last 2 years.

And in some vehicle will launch L4 highway Pilot in 2019 as a 2020 MY.

The other manufacturers like Audi

I agree that OTA will happen, but the dealer networks are not happy about it. Lost revenue..
What is the car industry’s problem with over-the-air software updates?

That won't stop car makers from selling high end cars with OTA updates.

• Informative
New Audi A6 released. From Car Magazine:
"Tech has trickled out from the A6’s bigger siblings, meaning it has the capability for Level 3 autonomy (check out what that means here), mainly thanks to the suite of radar scanners in the little modules protruding out of the grille. Those panels use just some of the five radar sensors, five cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a laser as part of its suite of driver assistance kit.
The Level 3 autonomous tech isn’t quite available in the UK, just as Chris Chilton found out in his drive of the A7 Sportback, but the kit is there for when the UK eventually says yes to Level 3 autonomy being used on public roads. We're not joking: the new A6 is ready to drive itself.
HERE mapping data is used to optimise the best route for you in the navigation system, your Android smartphone can be turned into a key through the myAudi app and there’s a parking pilot for both public bays and your home garage.
The new Audi A6 saloon will be available to order soon, launching in Europe from June 2018. Prices aren’t known yet but we expect the range to start from around £35,000 for an entry-level A6 40 TDI SE in the UK."

Guess we really need that sensitive and specific 2018.8/10/? update really fast. Since 2018.6.1 is still really useless with a bit of snow and slush partly obscuring the lane markers.