TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First LA to SF roadtrip - busy superchargers over Thanksgiving weekend?

Discussion in 'California' started by dusterbuster, Nov 12, 2015.

1. dusterbuster

dusterbuster Member

I'm looking forward to my first LA to SF Bay Area (Mountain View) Tesla road trip over Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm a little worried that the Superchargers will be backed up with other Tesla drivers over the holiday weekend. Specifically, I plan to drive from Santa Monica to Mountain View on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and charge-up at the Tejon Ranch and Harris Ranch stations, and then drive back on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Should I be worried about potential long lines at these stations? Are there better times of the day to shoot for to help minimize the chances of a backup at the SC stations? Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. dusterbuster

dusterbuster Member

Oops, sorry! Just saw there is a long thread about the LA to SF superchargers and how a number of folks have experienced long waits. Sigh, I'm not sure I want to take the chance with the Tesla now, considering I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 young (i.e., impatient) kids.

3. Brett

Brett Member

No worries at all. I've done the drive over 10 times with wife and kids. You are really unlikely to have to wait. Go for it and have fun. #NOMOREICE

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

If there's a wait any time during the year, I would expect it to be Thanksgiving weekend.

5. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

You should be fine as long as you aren't traveling back on Sunday; that seems to be the worst day. I find that when I travel on Saturday, leaving earlier is better. If I leave home at 7AM then I'm likely to only see one other driver at Harris and Tejon, but if I leave at 10AM then although I'm still not waiting in line, I'm getting one of the last available spots.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would just go ahead and do it, simply avoid Harris Ranch around lunch time.

7. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I have driven this route several times too and I've never had to wait. This Thanksgiving though, is unlike any other because there are more Teslas on the road than ever before. Probably 2x the number of last year in the Bay Area, if not more. Do report back! Drive safely.

- K

8. dusterbuster

dusterbuster Member

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. I've been looking forward to the idea of using the Tesla for this roadtrip with the family, so I'm going to give it a try, and hope for the best!

9. napabill

napabill Active Member

I'd use 101 for one of the directions, if not both. Much nicer drive, IMHO.

10. Brett

Brett Member

Definitely a nicer drive. But if going for raw speed take I-5. I'm headed from LA to Roseville too, leaving Thanksgiving morning, returning Sunday. I imagine I may have to wait at Harris Ranch on Sunday but hopefully not too long.

11. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

US-101 is a longer trip, but I agree, it's nicer. Also, if you're driving late at night and want options to stay overnight on this road trip, US-101 is far superior because Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, are all awesome places to stay. On I-5, you gots truck stops.

- K

12. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

This comment is spot on. If getting there in the shortest possible time matters then you take I-5, but US-101 is nicer in all other respects.

That said, I took 101 this weekend and the supercharger at Atascadero was definitely busy. I wonder how crazy it got at Tejon Ranch and/or Harris Ranch...

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Another vote for 101 ... the Seaside supercharger was empty at Noon today.

14. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

How did this work out?
    Hwy 101 or 5 and the chargers, any results to report?
    ~Larry

15. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Maybe just expanding the number of stalls with temporary units at key locations in anticipation of holiday driving wouldn't be such a bad thing.