Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First landed booster is officially on display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Now on official display outside the Hawthorne SpaceX factory.

SpaceX puts historic flown rocket on permanent display – Spaceflight Now

SPACEX-F9-LIFT26.jpg

Credit: Gene Blevins/LA Daily News

This picture doesn't show it but the landing legs were put on. I don't know if the engine bells are from this same booster but some of the pictures make it clear that they are used engine bells.

This is wonderful, as it will give the public the opportunity to see an F9 first stage up close and hopefully better understand the magnitude of the accomplishment of launching it into space and then returning it to earth almost completely undamaged. I hope SpaceX puts up some kind of sign making clear that is a "used" stage and explaining what it did. I think that most people driving buy could assume it is simply a model rocket stage erected for advertising purposes.

Reactions: Grendal
Great photos! A large plaque seems appropriate, maybe even a dedication of sorts. It's difficult to judge how close the public will be able to get to the booster. Several of the photos depict the rocket passing a lengthy gated hedgerow. Hopefully the final resting spot gives a clear view of the Merlin engine nozzles.

So, what are the chances of getting Elon to donate it to the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport? That way more people would get to view it when they visit the National museums.

I would assume he is keeping this one, since they spent all that money setting it up in front of SpaceX HQ. But they could donate the first actual reflown booster, when that happens... when (and if) they retire it instead of expend it.

Wow. I have to go see that in person next time I go through LA. I could park and charge at the Supercharger and I think walk to that location in 10 minutes or so. Would have to walk back out to the street and around a corner or two.

Yep its directly next to the Supercharger less than a 10 minute walk I'd say. It's really impressive in person. Plus if you're lucky and Space X has their hangar open you can look in and see some pretty crazy things being worked on

Did they allow perhaps one of those nozzles to remain as was upon touchback? That would have provided a telling contrast.

And on the topic of contrast, that young man behind the nozzles gives a good sense of size. Very impressive.

I finally got to see that stage in person! My wife and I were blown away. We finally appreciate just how big it is despite having seen many photos and videos and watched all the stage landings in realtime online. Here are some photos we took from the car, stopped on the street, in the rain yesterday:

View attachment 207195

View attachment 207196

View attachment 207197 View attachment 207198

cool, is that rocket actually the tallest and most visible structure in the area (let's say a 5 mile radius)?

By the way, how cool would that be if a huge statue of Iron Man is placed at the top of the rocket, and it is being light up at night with spot light and laser show :)