TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First landed booster is officially on display

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Now on official display outside the Hawthorne SpaceX factory.

SpaceX puts historic flown rocket on permanent display – Spaceflight Now

SPACEX-F9-LIFT26.jpg

Credit: Gene Blevins/LA Daily News

This picture doesn't show it but the landing legs were put on. I don't know if the engine bells are from this same booster but some of the pictures make it clear that they are used engine bells.

• Like x 4
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This is wonderful, as it will give the public the opportunity to see an F9 first stage up close and hopefully better understand the magnitude of the accomplishment of launching it into space and then returning it to earth almost completely undamaged. I hope SpaceX puts up some kind of sign making clear that is a "used" stage and explaining what it did. I think that most people driving buy could assume it is simply a model rocket stage erected for advertising purposes.

• Like x 1
  3. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Great photos! A large plaque seems appropriate, maybe even a dedication of sorts. It's difficult to judge how close the public will be able to get to the booster. Several of the photos depict the rocket passing a lengthy gated hedgerow. Hopefully the final resting spot gives a clear view of the Merlin engine nozzles.

• Like x 1
  4. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

So, what are the chances of getting Elon to donate it to the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport? That way more people would get to view it when they visit the National museums.

5. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

I would assume he is keeping this one, since they spent all that money setting it up in front of SpaceX HQ. But they could donate the first actual reflown booster, when that happens... when (and if) they retire it instead of expend it.

6. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

We're neighbors with Space X so get to see some pretty cool things first hand. Here are a few more photos

14054256_1172313619508175_3836985141291042814_n.jpg 14079778_1172313612841509_2942714018534561147_n.jpg

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow. I have to go see that in person next time I go through LA. I could park and charge at the Supercharger and I think walk to that location in 10 minutes or so. Would have to walk back out to the street and around a corner or two.

8. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

Yep its directly next to the Supercharger less than a 10 minute walk I'd say. It's really impressive in person. Plus if you're lucky and Space X has their hangar open you can look in and see some pretty crazy things being worked on

9. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

• Like x 1