Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long Drive - autopilot problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed a drive from Essex to Chester (and back) in my 2022 M3LR with EAP. (Stopping overnight in Knutsford for the Harry Potter Forbidden Forest Experience on Friday night and Chester Zoo today)

Journey up, not a problem, stopped at Ionity at Stafford for a quick 40% top up via the bonnet app (50p per KW) and used EAP all the way on M25, M1 and M6. It struggled on the M25 with the low sun shining on the left hand side “blocking” the camera and wouldn’t lane change for me going to left (but would going right) but was then fine on M1 and M6 heading more north.

However, on the way home I lost autopilot / lane keeping twice! With no warning of hands on steering wheel etc it came up saying Autopilot unavailable for rest of this drive, beeping and flashing red. Can’t understand why, was paying attention to the road etc. Stopped at Rugby for a 50% top up and the autopilot resumed after that stop but then happened again about 40 minutes out from home.

I also charged at Chester Zoo via the 7Kw podpoint at 30p per Kw but they were incredibly slow and only got 16kw in for £4.89)

Running 2022.40.4. Hope they fix this issue. The adaptive cruise control still worked, just the lane keeping.

Other than that, was an easy drive and cost £56 in charging which isn’t too bad (left home with 100% charge)

Just completed a drive from Essex to Chester (and back) in my 2022 M3LR with EAP. (Stopping overnight in Knutsford for the Harry Potter Forbidden Forest Experience on Friday night and Chester Zoo today)

Journey up, not a problem, stopped at Ionity at Stafford for a quick 40% top up via the bonnet app (50p per KW) and used EAP all the way on M25, M1 and M6. It struggled on the M25 with the low sun shining on the left hand side “blocking” the camera and wouldn’t lane change for me going to left (but would going right) but was then fine on M1 and M6 heading more north.

However, on the way home I lost autopilot / lane keeping twice! With no warning of hands on steering wheel etc it came up saying Autopilot unavailable for rest of this drive, beeping and flashing red. Can’t understand why, was paying attention to the road etc. Stopped at Rugby for a 50% top up and the autopilot resumed after that stop but then happened again about 40 minutes out from home.

I also charged at Chester Zoo via the 7Kw podpoint at 30p per Kw but they were incredibly slow and only got 16kw in for £4.89)

Running 2022.40.4. Hope they fix this issue. The adaptive cruise control still worked, just the lane keeping.

Other than that, was an easy drive and cost £56 in charging which isn’t too bad (left home with 100% charge)
Did you perhaps miss a blue warning to nudge the wheel?

I think this is a problem that came up since last updated, same has been happening to me. No blue warning at all, a red steering wheel comes up on screen and locks me out until the next drive. This has been very frustrating.
Yup exactly this, no warning at all before it disengaging. I had one or maybe two warnings a lot, lot earlier in the drive but only the early blue flashing ones and immediately going after nudging the wheel

There a few of us suffering this…..but not everybody (which is bizarre)….

I think this is a problem that came up since last updated, same has been happening to me. No blue warning at all, a red steering wheel comes up on screen and locks me out until the next drive. This has been very frustrating.
Yes, I get the same, what started on .36 software. Mostly when it's dark.. and usually after 1 hr of drive.

All you have to do then is to put car in Park (P) and back to drive again. You can do it at any services or even emergency stops in the left side (with emergency phone)

Schedule a service. There may be something wrong with your camera. I contacted Tesla for the exact same problem and they scheduled a mobile service next week.

On my trip yesterday from Southampton to London using the M3 motorway in rainy darkening condition I noticed the left "fender camera" (as Tesla calls it) seemed to getting more road spray on it than the one on the right. Autopilot was happy to help me to overtake but refused to automate the returning to the left lane. Also Navigate on Autopilot toggled several times between available and not along the way and at one point flagged "poor conditions, NOA unavailable" though it still continued with NOA active??

The long 50 MPH roadworks section out of Southampton showed the max speed limit toggle several times between 50 MPH and 10 MPH (the speed limit it could see for contractors working inside the barriered central reservation) fortunately it didn't try to force drop my speed to its indicated 10 MPH.

I drive with a slight continuous finger pressure on the steering wheel so don't get the "wiggle me" nags.

Yes, I get the same, what started on .36 software. Mostly when it's dark.. and usually after 1 hr of drive.

All you have to do then is to put car in Park (P) and back to drive again. You can do it at any services or even emergency stops in the left side (with emergency phone)
Please don't stop in the emergency stops at the side of motorways to do this, it's not an emergency.

On my trip yesterday from Southampton to London using the M3 motorway in rainy darkening condition I noticed the left "fender camera" (as Tesla calls it) seemed to getting more road spray on it than the one on the right. Autopilot was happy to help me to overtake but refused to automate the returning to the left lane. Also Navigate on Autopilot toggled several times between available and not along the way and at one point flagged "poor conditions, NOA unavailable" though it still continued with NOA active??

The long 50 MPH roadworks section out of Southampton showed the max speed limit toggle several times between 50 MPH and 10 MPH (the speed limit it could see for contractors working inside the barriered central reservation) fortunately it didn't try to force drop my speed to its indicated 10 MPH.

I drive with a slight continuous finger pressure on the steering wheel so don't get the "wiggle me" nags.
2 weeks ago travelling out of Southampton my SR+ picked up 10mph and slammed on the brakes, family wondered what the hell was going on.

Look under Service ... Notifications as there is likely to be a reason recorded.

Reactions: M1tch
Just had the exact same experience on a 2hr drive I just finished. Locked out multiple times for no reason. Yesterday did the same drive opposite direction and it had no issues. Definitely something software related. I have an update available and I am wondering if that’ll have an effect

Are people wearing sunglasses? In cars with the cabin cameras activated I’m pretty sure it checks for your attentiveness. If you are not paying attention, looking down at a phone on your lap or whatever it goes straight to a red warning.

Yup i've had this lately. I kept meaning to search for anyone else and here we are. Drove up to stansted no problems, dropped someone off and then halfway back it freaked out at me.

Always wear dark sunglasses when driving, although going up it was dark outside so I didn't have them on...oh I do hope thats not the reason but it certainly makes sense!