Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long Drive - autopilot problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than that, was an easy drive and cost £56 in charging which isn’t too bad (left home with 100% charge)
I recently did my first long drive from near to you in Essex to Salcombe, Devon. Total cost was £53 but kept down because I used a Tesla Destinations free charge at a hotel whilst in Devon. We did have lunch there as well but they were very relaxed about us being on charge for over 2 hours before returning to eat. Not sure I would have relied on that, especially in Summer, but worked well in getting us a good way home before going to a SC.

One thing I know is that there has not been much improvment since I bought my model s in 2018. I came back on Monday this week from a holiday in Croatia. Drove the whole way there and back and used the autopilot very few times. When I did, three times it decided to abort lane change on a quite clear road and swerved back. I had two phantom braking events with nothing in front of me. It rained hard a few times on the way home and cameras were constanly blocked. I have zero confidence in it and hardly use it. I love the car though. Some range anxiety on a couple of stops. Little limited on chargers as I don't have css conversion. It was annoying on the German autobhan I had to keep the car under 140kmh to get to the next charger sometimes when I wanted to floor it. Blimey some of those German guys were fast.. I have a MY P coming but chose basic autopilot. I don't think anything more is worth the money. Ohh and final moan, auto wipers still suck large...since 2018....

Basically exactly what I posted here. Kicked off AP without warning multiple times. The alert they are referring to is because it’s all they able to look at on their end (AEB disabled).
Thanks. Your complaint was about AP disengagement and Tesla reply talks about Automatic Emergency Braking. Not sure even if it thinks if it were an emergency braking situation, why would it penalize you and disable AP for the rest of the drive.

Thanks. Your complaint was about AP disengagement and Tesla reply talks about Automatic Emergency Braking. Not sure even if it thinks if it were an emergency braking situation, why would it penalize you and disable AP for the rest of the drive.
why Tesla penalize with disabling AP in the first place?! what the actual fcuk really?
it is MY car and they should not be penalizing me for whatever I am doing.

imagine. they penalize you turning off or on wipers. it is just stupid

why Tesla penalize with disabling AP in the first place?! what the actual fcuk really?
it is MY car and they should not be penalizing me for whatever I am doing.

imagine. they penalize you turning off or on wipers. it is just stupid
Yes. I understand AP jail for US customers on FSD beta to prevent them from doing stupid sh*t like falling asleep or crawling on the passenger seat on the highway, but with all UNECE restrictions already present in Europe, it does seem unnecessary to do that, the simple disengagement is enough.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Fairly sunny today, I drove with polarized sunglasses. I confirm I got a ton of near collision alerts on my daily commute and haven't changed my driving style...
So I assume the cabin camera is definitely trying to look at our eyes and adjust driving alerts in consequence with a longer delay / more frequent nags when it cannot tell if you are looking at the road or not..
Pretty poor implementation I would say.

• Informative
Reactions: MylerB and CWT3LR
I don’t think it was AP punishment or lockout. The system was misfiring and locking me out, also disabling AEB. It was a series of funky errors. I was in SC yesterday (nail in tire, wonderful) and they confirmed there was a software patch for the issue. Apparently .36 had some faulty code that would incorrectly determine that there was object placed on the wheel to trick AP into thinking your hand was there. I haven’t had the issue since .40 update but also haven’t taken used AP extensively either.

I don’t think it was AP punishment or lockout. The system was misfiring and locking me out, also disabling AEB. It was a series of funky errors. I was in SC yesterday (nail in tire, wonderful) and they confirmed there was a software patch for the issue. Apparently .36 had some faulty code that would incorrectly determine that there was object placed on the wheel to trick AP into thinking your hand was there. I haven’t had the issue since .40 update but also haven’t taken used AP extensively either.
what I did is put the camera cover on the lense above rear view mirror.

it coincided with .40 update but haven't had any issues with AP as well.

However, the fact that car PUNISHES you with disabling AP for the REST OF THE DRIVE for ANY reason is just stupid and should not be there. It is MY CAR, ffs and I should be able to use it the I want within the technical limits of the car.

what I did is put the camera cover on the lense above rear view mirror.

it coincided with .40 update but haven't had any issues with AP as well.

However, the fact that car PUNISHES you with disabling AP for the REST OF THE DRIVE for ANY reason is just stupid and should not be there. It is MY CAR, ffs and I should be able to use it the I want within the technical limits of the car.
I agree completely. In case my posts weren’t clear, my issue was that I would get locked out, park (“resetting the drive” and opening AP back up / unlocking it), then get locked out again without warning. Even after the reset it had the same issue over and over. I agree with what you’re saying, but I don’t even think it was about the system locking me out because of my inattention - was a total error on the system end. It wouldn’t even alert me with prompts to touch wheel etc, just straight up loud red alert TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY and AP lockout. Definitely not how it usually functions for me. Lasted the whole damn 2 hour drive lol. I’ll have to remember the option to cover the camera!

I agree completely. In case my posts weren’t clear, my issue was that I would get locked out, park (“resetting the drive” and opening AP back up / unlocking it), then get locked out again without warning. Even after the reset it had the same issue over and over. I agree with what you’re saying, but I don’t even think it was about the system locking me out because of my inattention - was a total error on the system end. It wouldn’t even alert me with prompts to touch wheel etc, just straight up loud red alert TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY and AP lockout. Definitely not how it usually functions for me. Lasted the whole damn 2 hour drive lol. I’ll have to remember the option to cover the camera!
yes, I fully understand I also got this without a single warning.

but for me, in general this bull crap with the disabling AP until end of the drive as punishment is just plain wrong. No other manufacturer which has same systems (by this I mean: TACC + Lane assistant = more or less all what AP is) do that. because this is not only stupid, it is also dangerous.

Reactions: MylerB