Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long EV trip - 8000 miles roundtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

augkuo

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2011
Berkeley
My longest EV trip was in 2011 to Santa Barbara in the roadster (~330 miles), after that my wife said no more since waiting to charge just made the whole trip too long.

Since then, with the M3P we've been to LA a couple of times so she was ok with a couple of short rest stops to pee/etc. at the super chargers so we decided to do a long trip with our cat (~3 weeks) driving from California to Louisiana with some side trips along the way (Marfa TX, Big Bend TX, New Mexico, Las Vegas NV and Lafayette LA). Round trip was about 8000 miles, temperatures ranged from 9F (Farmington NM) to 75F (New Orleans), and we averaged 343 Wh/mi. Here are some things that we've learned/noticed -

1. Automatic wipers don't react fast enough - driving through pouring rain especially when behind a truck, the auto wiper mode reacts too slowly to change the speed. In fact, even at the highest setting for the wipers, for a large downpour, they aren't fast enough to clear water.

2. Believe the range estimator! On our way east, we were able to make it from Junction TX to Flatonia TX (~200 miles) on a single charge but on our way back, I had 300 miles of battery but the map was warning me that I'd only have about 2% battery left if I went straight through, so I thought it was a bug and ignored the warnings. We were able to make but had to slow down (at one point 30mph on the freeway!) and it was pretty nerve wracking since it was also in the middle of the night in nowhere Texas. With the cold temperature and elevation (we were mostly driving around 55mph anyways) the map correctly calculated the energy consumption needed - I would have stopped in San Marcos but it was a bit off from the I-10.

3. Probably change the 20" wheels for cross-country driving - driving in snow, make sure you put it in "chill" mode but even then you'll slip and slide on the summer performance tires. We bent two of our wheels going over potholes/rough roads so that required wheel/tire replacements.

4. Sometimes we'd get "traction control disabled", "automatic emergency braking disabled", "stability control disabled" errors, especially when it got cold - this required a car shutdown and upon restart those errors went away.

auto emerg dis.jpg
stability dis.jpg
traction control dis.jpg

5. Loud thunks, especially when cold or supercharging - I guess lots of other people have heard these things

Things we really appreciated -

1. Superchargers - we used primarily superchargers during our journey, one time a 40A connection at the Big Bend RV camp and destination charging at our hotel in New Orleans and an office complex in Las Cruces NM. All of them were in working order, no waiting and over 115kW/hr (initially). The ones that were in fancy malls weren't as good as by truck stops or gas stations because they'd be closed at night. We stopped almost at each one to pee/feed cat, etc. and since the speed limit on I10 is 70 or more (75 in TX).

2. Seats - we were in the seats sometimes for over 24 hours (except to pee/supercharge, etc) and never felt fatigued awake or sleeping in them. Heated seat settings were also good.

3. Sun visors - so much better than my roadster or the S/X!

4. Adaptive cruise control - I used this a lot more than the auto pilot because of two lane highways and lots of trucks - I didn't trust it enough for passing

5. Dual climate control - this worked well as one person would be driving and the other sleeping so usually the driver liked it cooler (to stay awake).

And now more pics -

death valley.jpg
driving with cat.jpg
gustine.jpg
loyola.jpg
marfa.jpg
old oak.jpg
outside death valley.jpg

My longest so far is about 3600, over 4-ish days with a 4-day stopover in the middle. So a bit tighter schedule. I didn't get any great pictures like yours, though. Nice!

Concur on most of that. One thing I didn't see any of:
4. Sometimes we'd get "traction control disabled", "automatic emergency braking disabled", "stability control disabled" errors, especially when it got cold - this required a car shutdown and upon restart those errors went away
However I only saw down to high 20's. One thing that did happen when it was a bit below freezing, in Ardmore, OK, is the SC cord got stuck in the port, my "T" turned red, and refused to release the cord. Not sure if it was cold related or I jostled it "wrong" or something? Fortunately reading TMC paid off as I knew how to pop the trunk and release it manually from inside.

One thing different for me is I ran EAP nearly the whole way. I flipped it off here and there when I wanted to execute more precise lane changes and such. There were 3 places where I drove extended periods with it off or only on sporadically.
1) Nighttime on downslopes East of Nashville. Foggy, road was wet, mid-40's temp, and I wanted immediate control over choices about rubbing out in rock faces vs going over the side of something.
2) Nighttime again, downpour between Birmingham, AL and Jackson, MS I was often flipping off EAP for extended periods or going to just TACC due to intense conditions.
3) Nighttime! I sense a pattern. The winding secondary highway that Nav sent me on through the woods into Fayette, MS. Well damn, I can't let EAP have all the fun. :)

Im on the fence about the trip estimator. Given that it doesnt know about elevation, was that the reason you needed to slow down to 30mph?

I used EAP most of the way to Las Vegas but sometimes it has that bug where it would start changing lanes then switch right back.

Given that it doesnt know about elevation
It doesn't? I've seen it estimate quite accurately on routes of pronounced net elevation changes, going both up and down. I'm pretty sure the consensus assumption is that it does have the elevation data and uses it.

What it might not do as well at is HVAC but that's a lot harder to estimate outside of what the user has set it at this very moment.

I used EAP most of the way to Las Vegas but sometimes it has that bug where it would start changing lanes then switch right back.
That's only Autopilot on Nav feature, right? I don't use that, either.

Last edited:
Im on the fence about the trip estimator. Given that it doesnt know about elevation, was that the reason you needed to slow down to 30mph?

It does - I had 300 miles on the battery with about 180 to get to the SC and it said I'd have 1% battery left. I had made it
previously on one charge so I thought "oh must be a bug". In the beginning I was going about 70 but once I got past
San Antonio and closer to Junction, then I realized that I was going to be very close to zero so I slowed down. As we were about 50 miles away, I was going to be at 0% going 50mph so we basically had to slow down so that we didn't run out of charge. As we were approaching San Antonio, the map would tell me that I should charge to make it to Junction but I still had about 200 miles of battery for ~100 miles to the SC but I kept ignoring it thinking it was buggy ;( Once I had passed
San Antonio was when I realized it wasn't...

My longest EV trip was in 2011 to Santa Barbara in the roadster (~330 miles), after that my wife said no more since waiting to charge just made the whole trip too long.

Since then, with the M3P we've been to LA a couple of times so she was ok with a couple of short rest stops to pee/etc. at the super chargers so we decided to do a long trip with our cat (~3 weeks) driving from California to Louisiana with some side trips along the way (Marfa TX, Big Bend TX, New Mexico, Las Vegas NV and Lafayette LA). Round trip was about 8000 miles, temperatures ranged from 9F (Farmington NM) to 75F (New Orleans), and we averaged 343 Wh/mi. Here are some things that we've learned/noticed -

1. Automatic wipers don't react fast enough - driving through pouring rain especially when behind a truck, the auto wiper mode reacts too slowly to change the speed. In fact, even at the highest setting for the wipers, for a large downpour, they aren't fast enough to clear water.

2. Believe the range estimator! On our way east, we were able to make it from Junction TX to Flatonia TX (~200 miles) on a single charge but on our way back, I had 300 miles of battery but the map was warning me that I'd only have about 2% battery left if I went straight through, so I thought it was a bug and ignored the warnings. We were able to make but had to slow down (at one point 30mph on the freeway!) and it was pretty nerve wracking since it was also in the middle of the night in nowhere Texas. With the cold temperature and elevation (we were mostly driving around 55mph anyways) the map correctly calculated the energy consumption needed - I would have stopped in San Marcos but it was a bit off from the I-10.

3. Probably change the 20" wheels for cross-country driving - driving in snow, make sure you put it in "chill" mode but even then you'll slip and slide on the summer performance tires. We bent two of our wheels going over potholes/rough roads so that required wheel/tire replacements.

4. Sometimes we'd get "traction control disabled", "automatic emergency braking disabled", "stability control disabled" errors, especially when it got cold - this required a car shutdown and upon restart those errors went away.

View attachment 370704 View attachment 370705 View attachment 370706

5. Loud thunks, especially when cold or supercharging - I guess lots of other people have heard these things

Things we really appreciated -

1. Superchargers - we used primarily superchargers during our journey, one time a 40A connection at the Big Bend RV camp and destination charging at our hotel in New Orleans and an office complex in Las Cruces NM. All of them were in working order, no waiting and over 115kW/hr (initially). The ones that were in fancy malls weren't as good as by truck stops or gas stations because they'd be closed at night. We stopped almost at each one to pee/feed cat, etc. and since the speed limit on I10 is 70 or more (75 in TX).

2. Seats - we were in the seats sometimes for over 24 hours (except to pee/supercharge, etc) and never felt fatigued awake or sleeping in them. Heated seat settings were also good.

3. Sun visors - so much better than my roadster or the S/X!

4. Adaptive cruise control - I used this a lot more than the auto pilot because of two lane highways and lots of trucks - I didn't trust it enough for passing

5. Dual climate control - this worked well as one person would be driving and the other sleeping so usually the driver liked it cooler (to stay awake).

And now more pics -

View attachment 370884 View attachment 370885 View attachment 370886 View attachment 370887 View attachment 370888 View attachment 370889 View attachment 370890

On #4, definitely check with service center. I had a similar occurrence that went away on its own. However remote diagnosis indicated the defective steering column part that was later replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire

The trip planner absolutely does take elevation into account. What it doesn't do is take wind or weather into account, so an app like Windy can be very helpful for tweaking your charging strategy.

This was so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your insights. I’m planning a 3000+ trip in March in my M3P+. I too will be on I-10. If anyone planning a trip hasn’t heard of abetterrouteplanner.com I suggest you check it out. Seems like a great tool. I’ll be using it in March.