Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Long(ish) Trip In MS60. Accident Avoided!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: Also posted on Reddit

Drove from Cape Cod to Raleigh(600+ miles, overnight) straight thru in my MS60. I've done this trip many times before in my ICE and OMG the Tesla rules on road trips!!! Used AP1 for 99.9% of the trip...sooo game changing on long trips.

AP1 Accident prevention: besides keeping straight in the lane, having night vision and keeping a safe buffer between me and the driver in front of me the accident prevention capability was impressive. Case in point: While passing an 18 wheeler(at the point the cab was about even with my rear door and out of my field of vision) I notice my rear, right sensor turning red(truck was turning into me). The Tesla automatically nudged to the left avoiding collision. This all happened in a split second and there was no way I could have reacted this fast to avoid collision. Thanks AP1!

Update: on Reddit there was some discussion regarding AP leaning toward trucks. I didn't notice this on the trip down and on the 600mi return trip I specifically looked for this behavior when passing trucks and again didn't notice any lean toward trucks. What I did notice(while drafting an 18 wheeler) is the inability of the truck to stay within it's lane...literally witnessed truck crossing line into passing traffic with many close calls(trucks need AP!). With that said, always be careful and aware when passing trucks even with AP activated.

What I did notice(while drafting an 18 wheeler) is the inability of the truck to stay within it's lane...literally witnessed truck crossing line into passing traffic with many close calls(trucks need AP!).

This why I don't draft behind the big trucks. Many times when they drift on to the shoulder they throw up rocks which my windshield then summons like iron flakes to a magnet...

Autopilot and Supercharging are definitely game changing for road trips - there's no other car I'd want to take a road trip in these days.

I'm a little worried at how fast the miles are going on - especially if I'm going to trade for a FSDC car at some point in the next few years (can't imagine any other reason I'd give up this car.)

Reactions: Aieukl378
Autopilot and Supercharging are definitely game changing for road trips - there's no other car I'd want to take a road trip in these days.

I'm a little worried at how fast the miles are going on - especially if I'm going to trade for a FSDC car at some point in the next few years (can't imagine any other reason I'd give up this car.)
Well, I put 13,000 miles on our Model S between August and the end of the year...

I also use AP1 on trips. The difference is, I get to take advantage of it instead of fighting it the whole time. I'm sorry that you don't know what AP truly is. It really is game changing, and it's too bad you haven't experienced it.

@green1, you can speak for yourself, but don't try to tell us what our own experience is.

I did a 1500 mile road trip in Oct 2015 with AP1 7.0, and I've used every version since then. I've also done a 1500 mile road trip in Sept-Oct 2016 with 8.0 and its associated changes in behavior.

I'm fine with the 8.0 changes and they did not affect me significantly during my road trip.

Don't try to tell the rest of us what we know and don't know about AP. We can and have formed our own opinion, and in many cases it differs from yours. That doesn't make it any less valid.

Reactions: EinSV and NOLA_Mike
If you want Tesla to remove functionality from your car, fine. I hope they remove ALL of it for you, that should make you very happy indeed.

Again, I don't think you're getting it. I don't feel that any functionality has been removed for me. I feel that the car is still doing what I expected when I bought it. You obviously feel differently and that's fine, but you can't dictate that everyone else should be angry with Tesla for the reasons you do. And I'm growing somewhat annoyed that you chastise everyone else that doesn't feel the way you do. I have a right to feel fine about the changes, as do others, and to do so without your color commentary.

Reactions: EinSV
Now, that's silly. In my opinion, of course.
I agree, allowing a company to remove features and functionality from their products after sale is very silly indeed. When you allow them to remove features without consequence, it means you have no control over your own property, nor do you even know what you have actually bought. In fact, it means that you haven't actually bought anything, you've only given them a bunch of money that they can do whatever they want with, regardless of if they deliver anything at all to you.

Again, I don't think you're getting it. I don't feel that any functionality has been removed for me.
Whether or not they removed functionality is not up for debate. It is a fact that they have done that. The only question is whether or not you're ok with it.

I feel that the car is still doing what I expected when I bought it.
Then your expectations were not based on either the promises that Tesla made, or the feature set that was delivered.

And I'm growing somewhat annoyed that you chastise everyone else that doesn't feel the way you do. I have a right to feel fine about the changes, as do others, and to do so without your color commentary.
And yet you feel free to chastise me for not being ok with Tesla using lies and false advertising to make a sale, and then further stealing functionality from my car after delivery. I don't know why it's ok for you to chastise me for this, but I can not chastise Tesla for it?

Reactions: kavyboy
I think both viewpoints being argued here are valid -- there are those whose usage patterns aren't hampered by the recent restrictions and there are those whose usage patterns are.

The complaints I have are two-fold:
1. Inconsistent descriptions of what is changing when the update is offered. We shouldn't have to look through forums and blog posts to figure out what restrictions are being imposed. That should be clearly stated when the update if offered.
2. There's no (easy) way to permanently opt out of an update (or, at the very least, a "don't remind me for another month" sort of option).

Fix those two, and I'm okay with some functionality being restricted over time. After all, AP is still beta and Tesla is still figuring out what semi-autonomous capabilities are safe in the hands of the general driving population (the answer: "very little").

I think both viewpoints being argued here are valid -- there are those whose usage patterns aren't hampered by the recent restrictions and there are those whose usage patterns are.

The complaints I have are two-fold:
1. Inconsistent descriptions of what is changing when the update is offered. We shouldn't have to look through forums and blog posts to figure out what restrictions are being imposed. That should be clearly stated when the update if offered.
2. There's no (easy) way to permanently opt out of an update (or, at the very least, a "don't remind me for another month" sort of option).

Fix those two, and I'm okay with some functionality being restricted over time. After all, AP is still beta and Tesla is still figuring out what semi-autonomous capabilities are safe in the hands of the general driving population (the answer: "very little").
Are there ANY features Tesla could remove from your car that would upset you? Would you be ok if the car's acceleration were halved? or the touchscreen disabled when the car was in motion? What if the car couldn't EVER exceed the speed limit, under any circumstance? (even if it misread a speed limit sign as 5 instead of 55?)

What functionality did you actually buy when you bought the car? If you are ok with even the smallest feature removal, then you have to be ok with ANY feature removal. After all, you don't own the car, Tesla does. Or do they?

If Tesla feels that they shouldn't have released a feature, they are fine to not give that feature to future customers (assuming that matches their advertising), they are NOT free to remove it from a vehicle that they no longer own.

Reactions: kavyboy
I just came back from ~2k mile road trip up/down the east coast over the holidays. I love AP. Just wanted to add that to this thread.

With that being said, the +0 is so bad I don't use AP on undivided highways anymore. So during my roadtrip when we got off the interstate, I switch to manual driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Whether or not they removed functionality is not up for debate. It is a fact that they have done that. The only question is whether or not you're ok with it.

That depends on your definition of "functionality" and "expectations". Mine differ from yours. Neither of us is "wrong". Both opinions are valid from each point-of-view.

And yet you feel free to chastise me for not being ok with Tesla using lies and false advertising to make a sale, and then further stealing functionality from my car after delivery. I don't know why it's ok for you to chastise me for this, but I can not chastise Tesla for it?

I'm not chastising you for the way you feel. Your opinion is valid. I'm chastising you for insinuating that opinions that differ from yours aren't valid. It seems that lately if you aren't angry with Tesla then you can't post here without being made fun of, accused of being a "kool-aid drinker", or accused of being a stockholder. This is what's wrong, and this is what I'm annoyed with.

As soon as someone posts that they're OK with the AP changes in 8.0, your first question to them is the "what functionality could Tesla remove from your car that would get you upset?" The purpose of that question is to start a chain of statements that is persuasive -- to maneuver the person into an argument where they must be upset with Tesla for the AP changes in 8.0. It seems that you cannot simply accept that opinions on AP1/8.0 like mine are valid. They are, and I will continue to voice that.