Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip in a MY. Am I being overly cautious on ABRP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi... I'm expecting to get my MY sometime this month...

Just curious why you guys prefer to use ABRP over the Tesla navigation???

Is the Tesla navigation no too accurate??
Tesla navigation works fine but I like being able to see all my charging stops when planning a road trip. The Tesla navigation only tells you where your next charging stop is.

Also, ABRP gives you more control over the assumptions, which may be different on a road trip than for your normal local driving. For example, for me, I leave my bike rack on my car when I'm driving locally but remove it when I go on a road trip. This causes the Tesla navigation to assume my reference miles per kWh to be less than it will actually be on a road trip. With ABRP, I can set my reference Wh/mile to reflect the absence of the bike rack (and associated wind drag).

But remember running the Tesla navigation while on your trip will cause the car to precondition your batteries (if needed) for faster charging (assuming you charge at the charger the Tesla navigation recommends).

Tesla navigation works fine but I like being able to see all my charging stops when planning a road trip. The Tesla navigation only tells you where your next charging stop is.

Also, ABRP gives you more control over the assumptions, which may be different on a road trip than for your normal local driving. For example, for me, I leave my bike rack on my car when I'm driving locally but remove it when I go on a road trip. This causes the Tesla navigation to assume my reference miles per kWh to be less than it will actually be on a road trip. With ABRP, I can set my reference Wh/mile to reflect the absence of the bike rack (and associated wind drag).

But remember running the Tesla navigation while on your trip will cause the car to precondition your batteries (if needed) for faster charging (assuming you charge at the charger the Tesla navigation recommends).
A couple questions:

1. Do you need to subscribe on ABRP ????

2. Can you use ABRP on Tesla screen ?? Or you will need the ABRP app on phone/tablet ?

A couple questions:

2. Can you use ABRP on Tesla screen ?? Or you will need the ABRP app on phone/tablet ?
1 - No, you don't but I've found it to be very useful. I'll probably subscribe.
2 - I guess you can, I've tried and it's very slow. But it is also dependent on cell coverage.
ABRP allows you to export your trip to an excel spreadsheet. With a few cosmetic tweaks, you can print out a very handy, no-connection-required reference for the trip. My preferred routes take me where cell coverage is spotty and the printed itinerary is great.

Hi... I'm expecting to get my MY sometime this month...

Just curious why you guys prefer to use ABRP over the Tesla navigation???

Is the Tesla navigation no too accurate??
Tesla web route planner is completely useless - doesn't remember vehicle, home location or previous destinations, assumes 100% charge for every departure. Onboard nav is better, but it's only available onboard - I can use ABRP from the comfort of my armchair the day before I leave. It also allows me to adjust for nominal consumption, weight, speed, wind, temperature, elevation change and road condition. Onboard planner just extrapoloates recent driving to make its projections, with none of the other factors taken into account.

A couple questions:

1. The free version is very capable and lets you link your vehicle data. Subscription gets you real-time traffic, weather and charger availability. So far I have managed just fine without those.
2. Tesla browser is only available while parked, and is cumbersome to use. ABRP app can run in the background on phone or tablet.

Reactions: Teslitored
A couple questions:

1). There is a free version of ABRP and also a Premium version ($5 per month or $50 a year). Premium adds things like real time traffic and real time charger availability.

2). Yes, you can use ABRP on the Tesla screen. I just recently saw that ABRP had enhanced their web interface specifically to be more compatible with the Tesla browser.

Reactions: Teslitored
1. The free version is very capable and lets you link your vehicle data. Subscription gets you real-time traffic, weather and charger availability. So far I have managed just fine without those.
2. Tesla browser is only available while parked, and is cumbersome to use. ABRP app can run in the background on phone or tablet.
1 - the free version is very capable. As you use it and compare it to your real experience, adjusting the parameters can make it pretty spot on. I'd just like to be able to support the people who are creating it with an annual cost of maybe $25.

2 - The Tesla browser is NOT only available while parked. I've used it many times for weather radar while driving (my co-pilot does the browsing). I wouldn't exactly call it "surfing the web" though, more like "oozing the web".

Depends on the # of superchargers along your route. I drove my SR to Mammoth Lakes (300 miles), Zion (600 miles) and SD (120 miles) from LA without any issues. I didn't really over plan either aside from plotting it using the in car map and ABRP. Personally, I make judgement calls based on the arrival state of charge. If the estimated SoC is decreasing, I slow down. If it decreases to the level where I am uncomfortable (under 10%), then I may make a detour to top up at a SC that wasn't in the plan.
Yes, I totaly agree. If you are in an area with many superchargers, you can skip them until you really need to make a stop, like when driving an ICE car.

But in areas with very few superchargers, you'd better be cautious, like topping at 90% and targetting an arrival to the next supercharger with at least 25% SoC remaining.
For example, I experienced having to make detours because of a freeway closure from an accident, or extra wind, or areas with 80 miles / hour speed limit...
Note: It is very useful to check the Tesla consumption graph to see in realtime how much your projecting arrival SoC will differ from the original calculated one.

Last edited:
I'm going non-subscription to try it out. I feel pretty comfortable after listening to all the responses in this forum. I'll respond to this after the trip (like most people do) and give my own lessons learned. Sadly, I'll be driving through the night so most amenities wont be open. I'm aware of that and am bringing my own food/drinks.

Reactions: Rocky_H
MYLR going a little over 800mi. I'm using ABetterRoutePlanner, but I'm wondering if my settings are too conservative.

What I put in:
Starting charge at 95% (may be 100%)
Reference consumption at 65mph = 330Wh/mi (default was 298, but I dont know what reality is)
Charger Arrival SoC = 15% (is that too conservative?)
Charger Max SoC = 95%
Reference Speed = 120% (I go about 10-15 over)
Temperature = 55deg (likely will be higher)
Weather = Rain (dont know if it will actually rain, so I put it in there in case)

The furthest I've ever driven this car in one trip is like 80mi. I usually charge to 70% and recharge at home when it drops to 50%. Never used a supercharger before other than to make sure it worked (1min). I know it wont HURT using those settings above, but I dont want to overly restrict myself either. If I charge to 100% I know to do set departure, unsure if I want/need to charge to full.

My current 30mi avg Wh/mi is 220, but I also havent been driving on highways a lot. Mostly 40-50mph.

I guess what I'm asking is can I trust ABRP, or do I need to build margin in myself?

A few bits of advice after a 1,200+ mile weekend & 3,500 miles on my 26 day old Model Y:
  • Trust Tesla's nav & battery estimates
  • I always arrive at a charger with more charge than originally projected
  • You only need enough charge to get to the next supercharger
  • Charging from 60% to 80% can be almost as long as charging from 10% to 60%
  • charging to 100% will disable regen braking until there is capacity available to store energy created by regen
  • While charging you can expand the directions window and see the projected arrival SOC increasing as you're plugged in at the supercharger. I find this a very good method of navigating between intermediate destinations and knowing when to unplug. For me, I charge until the destination SOC is at 15%
Range anxiety is real, but quickly dissipates when you realize just how many superchargers are out there. ABRP is pretty cool to tinker around with, but in the end I just used it more to estimate my arrival time while including intermediate stops & let Tesla's nav do the actual drive planning

I think all your advice items are good except possibly the first one, but that depends on the driver. I cannot trust the Tesla navigation estimates of SOC at arrival, As an example, I've had a drive where it started saying 16% and I ended up at 4% at home. I believe that is because I drive at ~25% over the speed limit (allegedly) on the highway. After a few minutes of driving, the estimate in that example dropped to 12% and soon after 8% so it adjusts as I drive. However, I cannot just blindly trust that SOC to decide when to unplug at a SC, I need to leave a 10-15% additional buffer. OR I use ABetterRoutePlanner. I have to say I also have sportier tires tan the OEM so that affects my consumption a bit too.

Now, with that said, if you drive slower, it might work very well for you and that SOC prediction might be very accurate.

Reactions: Ken_Y
25% over speed limit? Of course your SOC is off. On a 70 mph highway I’m usually setting AP between 75-77 and am always at the predicted SOC on arrival.

By comparison you’re driving close to 90 on that same 70mph highway?
I'm starting with 100kph highways as we don't get better here... that's 62mph. I drive 123-124kph which is 23-24% over, that's 77mph, just like you. Just to put things in perspective, in case some people think I drive like a madman :p

Back in my pilot days, the rule for instrument flights was have enough fuel to get to your primary destination airport, then to your alternate, and 45 minutes beyond. That served me well (especially for those couple of times when the primary was socked in). I use the same kind of thinking with my Tesla.

I've done several long trips in my MYLR. Thus far every Supercharger was operational. Still, I like to plan just in case for whatever reason the charger is down. If it's the only reasonable Supercharger (cases where it's the only one for a hundred miles, for example), I'll at least plan for any J1772 chargers in the area, and make sure I have enough range to get to the Supercharger, and from there to the nearest J1772. I haven't had to do that yet.

Along more heavily travelled routes there are Superchargers every 60 miles or so. No stress there.

ABPR is excellent for multi leg trip planning. The tricky thing is that it will want you to arrive at your destination with maybe 15% SoC. The easy way around that is to plan your trip where the destination is a waypoint, and the final destination is your home. That way ABPR will plan the route out and the route back and make sure you are covered both ways.

For planning purposes I average 75mph with 270 KWh/mile. I suspect Autopilot is saving energy by being less erratic than I am.

Used to leave 20% at the bottom but as we traveled more and trusted car system more we go as low as 10% before stopping at SC and try not to charge past 65-80 depending on how far is the next charger. Done multiple 1.6k trips in our Tesla.

A few bits of advice after a 1,200+ mile weekend & 3,500 miles on my 26 day old Model Y:
  • Trust Tesla's nav & battery estimates
  • I always arrive at a charger with more charge than originally projected
  • You only need enough charge to get to the next supercharger
  • Charging from 60% to 80% can be almost as long as charging from 10% to 60%
  • charging to 100% will disable regen braking until there is capacity available to store energy created by regen
  • While charging you can expand the directions window and see the projected arrival SOC increasing as you're plugged in at the supercharger. I find this a very good method of navigating between intermediate destinations and knowing when to unplug. For me, I charge until the destination SOC is at 15%
Range anxiety is real, but quickly dissipates when you realize just how many superchargers are out there. ABRP is pretty cool to tinker around with, but in the end I just used it more to estimate my arrival time while including intermediate stops & let Tesla's nav do the actual drive planning
This is a great summary. I’m closing in on 9,000 miles. I find that I use ABRP to plan drives in advance but use the Tesla nav during the trip. I have also found that I don’t mind running down to as low as 10% before hitting the next charging location. YouTubers often take it down to the low single digits! For local driving, I charge up to 80% every day or every few days depending upon how many miles I've driven.