Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped kids at camp today. 200 miles each way. Found a better route planner to not be overly useful. It was saying my range was way less than it was. The Tesla navigation was very good though. The problem was on the trip there the navigation decided I would make it without a supercharger stop but then it doesn't tell me how long to charge. Big problem is I would have made the trip but without a charger at the destination i would have been calling a tow truck.

Anyone have any suggestions? A better route planner was so off it insisted I needed 2 charges to make it home when the navigation screen said charge to 71 percent. I got home with 15 percent and I purposely drove quite quickly to see if I would make it.

Even setting a better route planner to perfect condition, it said I might make it back but said no valid route. Next year I'll have to drive to camp in Georgia again and I want to realistically plan it, a better route planner will have me charging it appears quite a bit more than necessary.

So the Tesla route planner is happy to get you to your destination with 20% remaining. They need to add a "Don't get so far from a supercharger that you can't get back" warning. Of course there's always your UMC, but we'd all rather supercharge while on a trip.

A quick way to deal with this is when you're at your last supercharger, put in your final destination and tap on the navigation list until it shows you the "% to return here". You definitely want that at 30% or greater.

In ABRP you can set destination battery percentage remaining. That's very helpful for car camping where you need to get to the campground with as much power as possible.

Reactions: Mattopotamus
Not sure how comparable your ABRP and Tesla nav routes were.

I assume the nav was happy to leave you at your destination with 15% charge and no thought about recharging. Without waypoints, that's a problem with the nav.

ABRP probably suggested two shorter Supercharger stops that should have given you a slightly shorter total trip time. It knows the battery charges faster when it nearly empty than it does when closer to full. The nav seems to prefer few but longer stops.

So how did the total trip times compare?

On way home abrp would have me stop twice wife Tesla said stop charge and go. Also said I would get home with 25 percent while abrp said 10 percent and no valid route found. Charging times for stop on both were very similar

No just checked it again. Putting dry roads and 5mph headwind it's better but still reporting much lower percentage ending value and higher percentage charge value than what is needed.
Sounds like a not too bad of a problem to have I guess, versus the other way around.

I try to always check using both ABRP and Tesla nav itself and make a decision from there. In the end, I’m always going to trust what the car is telling me, but ABRP is a good tool when planning the turn around time (when not starting at destination overnight with charging). That’s where the car can leave you potentially stranded since it doesn’t know you’re wanting to turn around immediately.

I wish Tesla would incorporate multi-stop navigation in the car.

Dropped kids at camp today. 200 miles each way. Found a better route planner to not be overly useful. It was saying my range was way less than it was. The Tesla navigation was very good though. The problem was on the trip there the navigation decided I would make it without a supercharger stop but then it doesn't tell me how long to charge. Big problem is I would have made the trip but without a charger at the destination i would have been calling a tow truck.

Anyone have any suggestions? A better route planner was so off it insisted I needed 2 charges to make it home when the navigation screen said charge to 71 percent. I got home with 15 percent and I purposely drove quite quickly to see if I would make it.

Even setting a better route planner to perfect condition, it said I might make it back but said no valid route. Next year I'll have to drive to camp in Georgia again and I want to realistically plan it, a better route planner will have me charging it appears quite a bit more than necessary.
ABRP is conservative. You need to set it to calculate your car's Reference Consumption. I think the original consumption it uses is 265Wh/mile @ 65mph for a LR-AWD. But my measured Ref Consumption measured at 235Wh/mile@65mph. I'm not completely sure how, but it also calculates your battery's degradation and capacity, when it supercharges.

The car's nav strategy wants to minimize stops; while ABRP's strategy is to minimize overall time, so it has you make more stops at low SOC and charge at max speed.
IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6435.jpeg

Did you set it correctly? Correct car etc? ABRP is very accurate.

Fred

I keep telling people ABRP is not that great. Use the car's computer for long trips. Works perfect for me every time.

The only problem with that is you can't set a destination percent of charge so yesterday it was trying to get me there without stopping saying to drive under 70 which frankly is unrealistic on a road where going 75 means everyone is passing you, Heck that same road most of the time means going 85 people are passing you. Not to mention it likely would be quicker to charge and just drive faster.

So actually 2 issues, A. it wants you to drive slower than is realistic, B. even if I had driven as requested and made it there, I wouldn't have been coming back except on a flat bed. I don't understand why Tesla doesn't just update the navigation.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I was punished for going over the autopilot speed limit. This is the second or third time my car has punished me, Does anyone else feel like a child with this car? I got punished one time while driving with the wife when autopilot decided to turn off because my hands weren't on the wheel without the usual warnings and yesterday I was punished near the end of the trip for exceeding the autopilot speed limit. I don't understand why that should require no autopilot for the rest of the trip, that is just stupid. Turn it off or better yet, its on autopilot, don't let it go over that limit. Regardless, you should be able to turn it back on.

The only problem with that is you can't set a destination percent of charge so yesterday it was trying to get me there without stopping saying to drive under 70 which frankly is unrealistic on a road where going 75 means everyone is passing you, Heck that same road most of the time means going 85 people are passing you. Not to mention it likely would be quicker to charge and just drive faster.

So actually 2 issues, A. it wants you to drive slower than is realistic, B. even if I had driven as requested and made it there, I wouldn't have been coming back except on a flat bed. I don't understand why Tesla doesn't just update the navigation.
Usually, when someone has trouble with ABRP, rather than having people guess at the issue, the OP gives the details of the trip, so others with more experience can input it and see for themselves. It's alot faster in getting a result and wastes less time.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I was punished for going over the autopilot speed limit. This is the second or third time my car has punished me, Does anyone else feel like a child with this car? I got punished one time while driving with the wife when autopilot decided to turn off because my hands weren't on the wheel without the usual warnings and yesterday I was punished near the end of the trip for exceeding the autopilot speed limit. I don't understand why that should require no autopilot for the rest of the trip, that is just stupid. Turn it off or better yet, its on autopilot, don't let it go over that limit. Regardless, you should be able to turn it back on.
Well, to trigger that you have to exceed 90mph. Above 90mph the radar does not work. It is a fundamental constraint of radar unit used. And there is no safe way to have the car limit it's top speed while on autopilot. Imagine, you're in autopilot, and for some reason you need to quickly accelerate to escape some danger. A herd of rhinoceros maybe. Or lava. Or angry politicians. Who knows what it is, but it's a large herd and your only chance of escape is to reach the bridge before they block your way. And your car, which is capable of at least 140mph, limits you to 90mph no matter how hard you press the pedal (and you don't remember to just turn AutoPilot off). Unfortunately, you aren't able to get away in time and you and your car get trampled by rhinos or buried in lava or stuck in political red tape. That's why pressing the accelerator pedal hard overrides basically every safety feature in the car except traction control.

If you need to pass a car, just flick up on the right control and cancel autopilot first.

Once the limit is triggered, just pull over, put the car in Park. And then put it back in drive. Autopilot is back!

I get what you are saying with the autopilot, still no place to pull over on the turnpike and the car shouldn't be restricting it because you went over its limit, Thats just stupid. I can understand restricting if someones hands aren't on the wheel although I do think that is stupid too, but regardless, you went over the limit, it turns off, you turn it back on and end of story.