Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First look for V11!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if the computer needs to reboot while your in motion?
with no stalks....any physical buttons?

R

According to a document to Tesla employees that Elektrek obtained back in Jan, there will be force buttons on the center console for changing gears:

"In the document obtained in January, Tesla told employees that the new Model S and Model X would also have a more traditional way of changing gears through force touch buttons located on the center console."

Reactions: Transformer
If that's true, i hate it!
Bring back the stalks, please.

Having to take your hand from the wheel to hit reverse, is clearly a step back.

Never driven a manual transmission car then eh? lol.

I find I very often am on the highway trying to shift into reverse and not having my hands on the wheel is an obvious danger. Moving the shift button from a stalk to 4" away on a screen is clearly a fundamentally flawed idea.../s

The only concern I would have with this setup is I really like having a stalk for engaging AP and it would be a shame if that become another button on the steering wheel like other cars, once you get too many buttons I find myself having to search for the right one. But I'd have to try it to judge.

It's missing the Neutral gear!

l have never once used neutral on an EV, or even an automatic transmission gas car for that matter. I'm sure there is a button for it, physical or on the screen somewhere or both, and you'll never have to actually use it so you won't actually care.

I suspect we'll look back on this in the future and figure out that a stalk is not actually a good interface device...is drive up or down? I know I had to check the writing on the stalk when I first got the car, a visual icon removes that hurdle. Now, on to solving other terrible first world problems.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Price
...l have never once used neutral on an EV...

I never drove automatic transmission until I switched to Prius then Tesla.

I love neutral gear and I have used it quite often. First as a hypermiler but now, when I want to park my car halfway out of my garage and have the front tires perfectly fit/stop in the depression of the alley/garage groove so I could open my hatchback in the rear without hitting the low ceiling.

Reactions: Transformer
Never driven a manual transmission car then eh? lol.

I find I very often am on the highway trying to shift into reverse and not having my hands on the wheel is an obvious danger. Moving the shift button from a stalk to 4" away on a screen is clearly a fundamentally flawed idea.../s

The only concern I would have with this setup is I really like having a stalk for engaging AP and it would be a shame if that become another button on the steering wheel like other cars, once you get too many buttons I find myself having to search for the right one. But I'd have to try it to judge.
😂🤣😳

It’s not missing, just not there. Its in the fold out that comes from the left. I don’t have it in front of me but I saw it on other pics of that.
Neutral is one of an array of rectangles to tap in the second photo, next to Glovebox. Tap carefully.

What does "smart shift" do? When do you want shifting to be not-smart?

When backing out into the street then reversing, I appreciate the design that went into making the F/R stalk work without coming to a full stop and while keeping my eyes out for oncoming traffic in both directions.

Reactions: Cheburashka