Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First look v.9!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of negativity surrounding the one-app-a-time change. Sensible.

But I actually predict this is necessary for Autopilot visibility/safety. Its been no secret that Autopilot will be heavily reliant on nav for more autonomy (from leaks to Elon's own remarks). I think at some point the navigation UI will have to include information encoding (via colors, text, whatever) of where Autopilot can be used "hands free", "eyes free", and likely other information. (completely ignoring whether this hardware is even capable, let's just talk theoretically).

I think this change is moving towards that: they'll surface more important information on the nav (hopefully in addition to the IC, since that's safer) and they want to make sure users always have the nav visible.

I totally get that looking at the center media is not super safe, but I think they'll want to show it anyways.

Also, there are definitely arguments of "yeah but you could use popups" or "but only show the nav w/ AP on then" and so on. There are tons of UX ideas that can be adopted that are probably viable against "show the nav all the time". I get it. I'm just offering up and opinion on why this change might be important.

Loss of constant back up camera screen is a big loss. Very stupid move. I'm pissed...

I agree!

It's a big loss in Model 3 as the rearview camera window would disappear when I touch the Navigation. In current Model S and X, I can have both at the same time.

I could understand that due to Model 3 cheaper price, some sacrifices could be made, but I can't see why higher priced Model S and X will have to suffer this fate too.

Last edited:
If the rumor of the nav being always on is true, then thank God because I get lost going to work every damn day. :rolleyes:

For anyone who missed it, yes that was sarcasm.
I know you said sarcasm. However I turn on waze every day. Even if im going to and from work. why? Its for those days that Waze pops up and takes me a different route because my normal route has heavy traffic.

So, its not necessarily a bad thing to have your normal route have navigation up for those one offs.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Agreed but here's to hoping that the blind spot detection in v9 is so accurate that it renders the constant backup camera obsolete!

Probably not on AP1 cars. Also, on AP1 cars, my understanding is that the backup camera basically just throws the picture directly onto the screen in one of two (?) fixed positions, and no other processing of the data (resizing, shifting, etc.) is even possible. Not sure how that's going to work in the new UI scheme.

Regardless, I'm not going to get too worked up (positively or negatively) until something resembling a final version of the new UI (because nothing's actually "final") actually hits the fleet.

Bruce.

Reactions: JohnnyG and N..8
I sure hope they test the heck out of it on AP1 and older CPU so it wouldn't slow the heck out of it.

... at some point they are going to have to start leaving AP1 hardware out of the changes and new features, if they don't they are shackling the new cars and hardware to the past and that isn't a good thing.

I don't know that it is happening soon, but if v9 is to live up to the promises I suspect it isn't a long way off...

Reactions: diplomat33
... at some point they are going to have to start leaving AP1 hardware out of the changes and new features.

I second this. Look, I empathize with AP1 owners who love their Teslas and don't need or want to buy a new Tesla but AP1 is obsolete at this point. To expect Tesla to continue to support obsolete tech does not make any sense. Plus, the new software is designed for the AP2 hardware which is completely different from the AP1 hardware. Trying to make the two compatible is not possible.

I second this. Look, I empathize with AP1 owners who love their Teslas and don't need or want to buy a new Tesla but AP1 is obsolete at this point. To expect Tesla to continue to support obsolete tech does not make any sense. Plus, the new software is designed for the AP2 hardware which is completely different from the AP1 hardware. Trying to make the two compatible is not possible.
Remember this when AP 3 comes out before AP 2 can do everything they said it would.

Remember this when AP 3 comes out before AP 2 can do everything they said it would.

I would say the same thing with AP3 too. If I was still driving a AP2 car years after AP3 was released, I would not expect Tesla to still support my AP2 car, especially if the hardware was radically different like it is between AP1 and AP2.

There are some parts of the software that are specific to the AP2 hardware and some parts that are common across all hardware configurations. So if Tesla actually fixes the multitude of bugs in the media player someday it's not unreasonable to expect those to be rolled out to the entire fleet. Chill mode and speed limits, two recent features, work for all AP cars (as far as I know). I would not, on the other hand, expect EAP/FSD features to roll out to AP1 cars.

Certainly I don't expect much further development on the Autopilot functionality itself for my AP1 car, at least for those parts that are dependent on the hardware platform. But it wouldn't be acceptable to break working functionality on currently-deployed cars. One strategy might be to keep older hardware platforms on older software release trains, although that incurs other support headaches, and Tesla's deployment strategy has in general been to try to keep all cars running the software software versions.

So far this thread hasn't touched on how Tesla handles the pre-Autopilot cars. Note that they're still getting software updates several years after manufacture. Obviously they don't reap the benefits of Autopilot improvements, but the newer software (aside from bugs) generally doesn't introduce any obvious regressions in behavior compared to the old. That is a realistic expectation.

Bruce.

PS. As I read back over this I'm not sure what your definition of "support" is. To me it means "make sure it works". Not sure if you mean that or "port all the new features and functionality to it".