Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First look v.9!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes sense that Tesla would marge the source code for S/X and 3 models. It took Tesla longer than expected to do this, likely due to the slower than expected release ramp-up for the Model 3, combined with the slower than expected development of EAP features.

By merging S/3/X software, we should start seeing releases roll out to all 3 models at the same time - with the same functionality, which hasn't been the case so far with the 3.

And would not be surprised to see a combination of positive and negative feedback once we get Version 9, with some users questioning why they hit the "Install" button on the release.

One feature that has been promised is the ability for owners to request software updates be distributed to their cars - which could eliminate the seemingly random distribution of new releases. Hopefully that will be part of the Version 9 release...

I hear what you're saying but the newer firmwares has definitely introduced regressions for non-AP cars. One example that annoys me every day that was introduced when they did the last major UI overhaul was the removal of the media source selection from the right hand steering wheel menu button and scroll wheel controls. Now for me to switch from say bluetooth back to FM or vice-versa, I have to:
1) tap the screen to get the top nav
2) hit the media in the top nav
3) fumble around (while driving) to find the source button I'm looking for) and tap it (accurately with road vibration, car moving, etc)
4) re-tap the navigation icon in the top nav to put everything back like it was (note I don't run media on the big screen, only on the right hand IC screen)... so any changes to media require this gold star usability workflow anytime I switch sources, which is a lot.

They have progressively made the UI harder and harder to use. Removing the media selection icon, making the top row of controls disappear when the map is in top position, changing to lower contrast fonts for map labels. The list goes on. All of these changes require the driver to spend more time looking at and fiddling with the screen instead of watching the road. I don't know why they think any of these changes are good ideas.

Re: Mirrors - I’m just going to leave this here.

I made this change a few years ago and while it took a little getting used to it is much safer and essentially eliminates blind spots.

I fully understand this and agree that having the mirrors adjusted properly eliminates blind spots. I have mine adjusted this way and actively tell others about it. But it falls short in fully gauging distance. Or quickly changing situations, where a car moves in from another lane from the other direction. I like the dummy light in the mirrors on my non-Tesla because I am fallible, and it is an extra, redundant safety system that has my back. I will welcome improvements on my Tesla that give me more than the sonar picture once the car is already next to me.

I fully understand this and agree that having the mirrors adjusted properly eliminates blind spots. I have mine adjusted this way and actively tell others about it. But it falls short in fully gauging distance. Or quickly changing situations, where a car moves in from another lane from the other direction. I like the dummy light in the mirrors on my non-Tesla because I am fallible, and it is an extra, redundant safety system that has my back. I will welcome improvements on my Tesla that give me more than the sonar picture once the car is already next to me.

Hey, I can't argue with that, good point!

I know this has been mentioned/discussed before. I find the display icons showing the vehicles in front of me useless. If the display showed the vehicle array to the rear and sides, that would be very useful. Not proposing as a substitute for mirror use, but it would certainly increase my awareness and attention to the rear. Best would be if the settings allowed front or rear view selection.

I know this has been mentioned/discussed before. I find the display icons showing the vehicles in front of me useless. If the display showed the vehicle array to the rear and sides, that would be very useful. Not proposing as a substitute for mirror use, but it would certainly increase my awareness and attention to the rear. Best would be if the settings allowed front or rear view selection.

Agreed, it's not real useful if you're driving manually, but if you have autopilot engaged it helps you monitor AP's performance / functioning.

(Personally I'd rather have a setting where I could get back the huge speedometer and power meter from the pre-AP days, but I'm pretty sure that's not coming back in software 9.0.)

Bruce.

Reactions: Inside and jaguar36
Agreed, it's not real useful if you're driving manually, but if you have autopilot engaged it helps you monitor AP's performance / functioning.

(Personally I'd rather have a setting where I could get back the huge speedometer and power meter from the pre-AP days, but I'm pretty sure that's not coming back in software 9.0.)

Bruce.

Do you have a link to a picture for reference? Being new here, i dont have much insight on previous versions. So now im curious.

Do you have a link to a picture for reference? Being new here, i dont have much insight on previous versions. So now im curious.

I think he might be referring to this.

TeslaTap_instrument_v7_s60_720.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime and bmah

Maybe I should make a new thread for this but here's the IC of my car running software 6.2. I took this photo literally right before I punched the "Update now" button to install the first 7.0 release (with autosteering on AP1 cars), because I knew it was the last time I'd see it. :(

The aspects of this I'd like to see in some future version (too late for 9.0) of the UI are: Restore the large analog speedometer and power meter when Autopilot is disengaged. More tick marks on the power meter so you can actually tell what the dial means. Make the energy consumption graph larger...there is way too much wasted space on the current UI that could be used to make a larger graph. Odometer on the IC, all the time. We (owners) went through all of this back in 2015. Basically we just wanted them to keep the good parts of the UI rather than making what seems like change for the sake of change, or following the user interface trend du jour.

But anyway, I'm not going to get too worked up over what I like or don't like about the version 9 UI until the final version is out and I've seen it live.

Bruce.

PS. Are there any pictures of the 9.0 IC? Or are they just gonna make it all back and we have to drive the S/X like a Model 3 now? o_O

PPS. I see what @diplomat33 just posted...that's the IC for a relatively recent software running on an non-AP car. So sorta similar but not identical.

IMG_7509.JPG