Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First look with pictures at Tesla’s new mobile app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not as if they're cramped for space on that screen besides there are times I've been asked for my odometer reading so this saves running out to the car.

Unlike the Flipping software update!!! Good grief why can't they add that? Such a pain in the butt.

I'd also like to see swiping from screen to screen instead of clicking on the little tiny buttons.

It would also be great if it worked too. For whatever reason my car and phone don't like it. The old one was slow but it worked this one refuses to connect.

And my right side mirror doesn't open all the way anymore. And!!! Sorry. :(

James Anders said:
Mileage is nice
Why? I think it's a waste of space just as when Tesla put it in the middle if the dashboard screen in place of the battery charge indicator last year.

Why not, it is not like it is taking any useful space at the end of a scrollable screen? But most importantly because some need mileage for certain reasons, e.g. for log keeping, insurance papers, maintenance shops may ask it etc. It has been a pain to get in the Tesla since the 7.0 update, where it no longer shows when parked or charging, but only shows the one time you never need it: driving. So I agree with you the 7.0 update was a stupid change, but this feature in the app is useful...

I still wish they'd fix the mileage not showing in a parked or charging car, though. That is the one time total mileage is actually needed. Not while driving. So many times since the 7.0 update I've had to unplug the car, sit in the car and start it to get that number and then do all in reverse... That one can do it without having to run to the car is extra nice, but I'd still like them to fix the car too.

6.x showed so much useful information in such an easy place. It has been downhill every since. Now I can't even see the date anywhere since 8.0 because nav goes full screen. It all used to be on the dash...

Reactions: Tanquen
I still wish they'd fix the mileage not showing in a parked or charging car, though. That is the one time total mileage is actually needed. Not while driving. So many times since the 7.0 update I've had to unplug the car, sit in the car and start it to get that number and then do all in reverse...

You can't just go to the car's info screen while charging (click the top middle Tesla logo)?

You can't just go to the car's info screen while charging (click the top middle Tesla logo)?

Fair point. I had not thought of that, though I knew it. :) I will use that tip. Thanks.

Still, showing it on the dash during parking/charging would make sense. That way you would see it without sitting in the car, just by opening the driver door... Showing it while driving is unnecessary IMO.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Frankly, it doesn't look all that different, functionally. Just a facelift (if you will).

First look with pictures at Tesla’s new mobile app with new UI, touch ID, and widgets

(Though I look forward to seeing what the widgets can do.)
It looks incrementally better, as if they actually do have someone working on UI of existing functionality: they moved a function from the upper left menu button (Valet) and from button on screen (charge limit) to be directly on screens. They also finally allow touch ID to start the car, like the regular 3rd party apps allow. That part is an improvement. I would have been happy if that's all they did: them moving the bottom row buttons was unnecessary, since those seem to work fine; now they have a tree motif.

But they still miss all sorts of other functionality that competing apps and programs offer. I am a voracious user of Remote S, TeslaFi, and VisibleTesla, and probably anything new that comes out as well. If I had more time, I'd be doing direct API stuff myself. Tesla could start doing some of the ideas that are frequently requested, such as what the Leaf and Bolt do, charge during inexpensive times with completion timing, etc., which is a car firmware issue, but would of course have direct API implementation and be on the apps as well. As it is, I have to do that on VisibleTesla + VNC. (Speaking of which, I haven't set up my VNC just yet. Another chore ...)

Last edited:
IMG_2690.PNG While supercharging, it still shows miles per hour and now also shows kw rate without having to switch units to percentages under settings.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
While subject of changes with ver8, why did they remove the exterior temp display from the 17in? My wife now continually leans over to check it from the dash display. It is not like they had to make room for something else. Mind you that whole area being covered with map display makes the whole argument redundant. Don't like THAT feature either.

Something that I noticed, that wasn't possible in the previous release, is homelink activation while plugged in.

Previously, if the car was plugged in, the summon menu would not be accessible.

Now, even with the car being plugged, you can go to the summon menu and engage the primary homelink to open/close the garage door.

Back when they announced the feature, you could only activate homelink from the app if you weren't plugged in, which pretty much defeated the purpose of the feature.

Now I can open my garage door from the tesla app if I wanted to. Not earth shattering, but, at least it's a process flow and/or bug fix. :)