Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First model 3 to circumnavigate Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it hasn't taken long for the first model 3 to travel highway one around Australia, this will be the 11th EV to complete the trip and also the first from Victoria (and all the Victorians will claim it's the first one done with grace and style). Most of the hard work battling the extreme November heat across the top end between Cairns and Carnarvon is done, it's now down to the last leg between Perth and Melbourne, the journey can be followed via the blog https://teslamodel3highwayone.wordpress.com/blog-feed/ it's an interesting daily update from a model 3 owner that is well organised, positive and innovative (read the Broome break in saga to see why).
Pictured below with the model 3 are the 3 WA Tesla cars to do the big lap including the one on the left that was also the first to cross the Nullarbor,
Model 3 Round Aus.jpg

I couldn't see Tassie on your blog list?

it hasn't taken long for the first model 3 to travel highway one around Australia, this will be the 11th EV to complete the trip and also the first from Victoria (and all the Victorians will claim it's the first one done with grace and style). Most of the hard work battling the extreme November heat across the top end between Cairns and Carnarvon is done, it's now down to the last leg between Perth and Melbourne, the journey can be followed via the blog Tesla Model 3 around Australia it's an interesting daily update from a model 3 owner that is well organised, positive and innovative (read the Broome break in saga to see why).
Pictured below with the model 3 are the 3 WA Tesla cars to do the big lap including the one on the left that was also the first to cross the Nullarbor,View attachment 475521

I couldn't see Tassie on your blog list?

The model 3s home base is close to Melbourne so I'm not sure if a trip to Tasmania is planned before a short stop at home, technically the driver is trying to stick to highway one as much as possible and Tassie doesn't fall under that criteria. I'm sure he would like to answer any questions on his blog, there's a bit of down time to catch up with keyboard housekeeping on the leg between Albany and Port Augusta with 2300kms of 11kw AC charging.

The model 3s home base is close to Melbourne so I'm not sure if a trip to Tasmania is planned before a short stop at home, technically the driver is trying to stick to highway one as much as possible and Tassie doesn't fall under that criteria. I'm sure he would like to answer any questions on his blog, there's a bit of down time to catch up with keyboard housekeeping on the leg between Albany and Port Augusta with 2300kms of 11kw AC charging.
Thanks BH,

In that case, I might have to put up a petition for Tas to get a look-in, otherwise, it might need to be re-named to "Mainland Australia" :)

Reactions: Hairyman
Thanks BH,

In that case, I might have to put up a petition for Tas to get a look-in, otherwise, it might need to be re-named to "Mainland Australia" :)

Tasmania should be part of any around Australia trip when time allows as its vastly different in climate, scenery, road conditions and tourist attractions than other parts of Australia, it's also a breeze to drive an EV around, when those 11 new DC chargers go in mid 2020 it's perfectly set up for a hydro powered electric vehicle revolution. The government subsidy brings the return journey for a sedan/SUV plus two adults down to around $500.

it hasn't taken long for the first model 3 to travel highway one around Australia, this will be the 11th EV to complete the trip and also the first from Victoria (and all the Victorians will claim it's the first one done with grace and style). Most of the hard work battling the extreme November heat across the top end between Cairns and Carnarvon is done, it's now down to the last leg between Perth and Melbourne, the journey can be followed via the blog Tesla Model 3 around Australia it's an interesting daily update from a model 3 owner that is well organised, positive and innovative (read the Broome break in saga to see why).
Pictured below with the model 3 are the 3 WA Tesla cars to do the big lap including the one on the left that was also the first to cross the Nullarbor,View attachment 475521

why is the left model S looking so much bigger than the 2nd one? wide angle?

Anyway, Cairns is cold atm, not sure what you are on about. haha

Could you give us Americans some idea of distances travelled? How many miles is it to drive around Australia? We Americans, but especially Texans, think that all of Australia will fit inside the Great State of Texas.

Oh, never mind. Clicked on the blog and got my first question answered - 9000 miles. Now that ought to impress even the most chauvinistic Texan.

Could you give us Americans some idea of distances travelled? How many miles is it to drive around Australia? We Americans, but especially Texans, think that all of Australia will fit inside the Great State of Texas.

Oh, never mind. Clicked on the blog and got my first question answered - 9000 miles. Now that ought to impress even the most chauvinistic Texan.
enhanced-buzz-22485-1392954987-4.jpg

If you squint you can see Texas in there... :)

Hahaha!!! Attaboy!

Truth is, I spent a few childhood years in both QLD and PNG to the north. Got a good grounding in Australasian and Oceania geography as a result. Living back here in the States for decades now, I still roll my eyes at how little my fellow Americans know about the outside world...especially those Texans.

Reactions: Futuresystem

An Australian and a Texan were chatting about their cattle properties. The Texan said his ranch was so big it was a two day horse ride from the homestead to the letterbox.
The Australian said he once had a horse like that.

Tasmania should be part of any around Australia trip when time allows as its vastly different in climate, scenery, road conditions and tourist attractions than other parts of Australia, it's also a breeze to drive an EV around, when those 11 new DC chargers go in mid 2020 it's perfectly set up for a hydro powered electric vehicle revolution. The government subsidy brings the return journey for a sedan/SUV plus two adults down to around $500.

Tassie is a really fabulous part of the world- we had seven weeks there in our caravan in 2008 and loved every second, AND still didn’t see a lot of it.
We hope to do another trip there from Brisbane with our Model 3 next year, (probably staying in mostly AirBnB style accomodation), and very much look forward to that.

Last edited:

Hahaha
If you want to equate Texas with Oz in hats, your 10 gallon texas hat would be no match for our 115 gallon Akubra.

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
The photo was taken with a vintage camera (an iPhone 4), just the angle I guess, both model S cars built about 6 weeks apart.
A

and if you really squint it looks like Texas is a poo coming out of Australia’s butt. Which is also accurate in an impressionistic sense.

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
Hahaha!!! Attaboy!

Truth is, I spent a few childhood years in both QLD and PNG to the north. Got a good grounding in Australasian and Oceania geography as a result. Living back here in the States for decades now, I still roll my eyes at how little my fellow Americans know about the outside world...especially those Texans.

you might have texans but we have rural queenslanders.

Hi folks, and thanks for your best wishes. I am back home in one piece after completing the circumnavigation, and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with a Model 3 (preferably with the 75 kWh battery) and a month to spare.
Just got my Model 3 repaired by Tesla - back side window replacement after someone decided to smash it (robbery) while in a supposedly secure car park in Broome. Had to make up a polycarbonate replacement to get me the 7,000 remaining km (about 4,000 miles) back home. It worked, but its very nice to now have a complete, secure, weatherproof car. The Model 3 held up brilliantly: nothing went wrong or needed replacing (other than that pesky window - not Tesla's fault) and the car, now that it's had a wash, looks immaculate.

I will add the last bits of Highway One (across Tasmania) in January.

If anyone is thinking about this trip, the last entry in my Blog ( teslamodel3highwayone.wordpress.com ) is a summary of all the lessons I learned over the trip. I wanted to put it out there so that anyone thinking of the trip starts already knowing what I know now. It should help lower the barriers to someone thinking about the trip...

And thanks Blue Heaven for your introduction and putting this thread together.

Hi folks, and thanks for your best wishes. I am back home in one piece after completing the circumnavigation, and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with a Model 3 (preferably with the 75 kWh battery) and a month to spare.
Just got my Model 3 repaired by Tesla - back side window replacement after someone decided to smash it (robbery) while in a supposedly secure car park in Broome. Had to make up a polycarbonate replacement to get me the 7,000 remaining km (about 4,000 miles) back home. It worked, but its very nice to now have a complete, secure, weatherproof car. The Model 3 held up brilliantly: nothing went wrong or needed replacing (other than that pesky window - not Tesla's fault) and the car, now that it's had a wash, looks immaculate.

I will add the last bits of Highway One (across Tasmania) in January.

If anyone is thinking about this trip, the last entry in my Blog ( teslamodel3highwayone.wordpress.com ) is a summary of all the lessons I learned over the trip. I wanted to put it out there so that anyone thinking of the trip starts already knowing what I know now. It should help lower the barriers to someone thinking about the trip...

And thanks Blue Heaven for your introduction and putting this thread together.
Well done and thanks for the very enlightening blog. I had been mapping out a Sydney-Perth trip on PlugShare from curiosity and saw your username several times. Your post has saved me bugging you for the details. Now to organise an excuse and the time...