Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First model 3 to circumnavigate Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, and thanks for your best wishes. I am back home in one piece after completing the circumnavigation, and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with a Model 3 (preferably with the 75 kWh battery) and a month to spare.
Just got my Model 3 repaired by Tesla - back side window replacement after someone decided to smash it (robbery) while in a supposedly secure car park in Broome. Had to make up a polycarbonate replacement to get me the 7,000 remaining km (about 4,000 miles) back home. It worked, but its very nice to now have a complete, secure, weatherproof car. The Model 3 held up brilliantly: nothing went wrong or needed replacing (other than that pesky window - not Tesla's fault) and the car, now that it's had a wash, looks immaculate.

I will add the last bits of Highway One (across Tasmania) in January.

If anyone is thinking about this trip, the last entry in my Blog ( teslamodel3highwayone.wordpress.com ) is a summary of all the lessons I learned over the trip. I wanted to put it out there so that anyone thinking of the trip starts already knowing what I know now. It should help lower the barriers to someone thinking about the trip...

And thanks Blue Heaven for your introduction and putting this thread together.

Thankyou TeeThreee for sharing you trip. Your “lessons learned” blogpost is a must read for anyone interested in taking their Tesla off the DC charging routes.

Do you think having a 22kW onboard charger would have changed your trip much? I assume it would have meant you could have traveled more at 100kph and less at 82, it also would have made your midday charge faster but would you have travelled faster or still stayed at mostly the same locations just arriving earlier?

Thankyou once again to blue heaven for making us aware of this trip. Your continued service to long distance driving in Aus is much appreciated.

I am back home in one piece after completing the circumnavigation
Clearly this is fake news and an anti-Australian attempt to undermine the very fabric of our society. I know because Scott Morrison and Michaela Cash told me so - EVs are EVil and will take away Australian weekends. It is simply impossible that you have done what you claim to have done. EVs don’t have “grunt” and can only travel 10km before they need an extension cord.

Clearly this is fake news and an anti-Australian attempt to undermine the very fabric of our society. I know because Scott Morrison and Michaela Cash told me so - EVs are EVil and will take away Australian weekends. It is simply impossible that you have done what you claim to have done. EVs don’t have “grunt” and can only travel 10km before they need an extension cord.
So many ruined weekends. o_O