Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model 3 trip, pretty funny

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first big trip in our new Model 3, leaving from Austin, TX headed to McAllen, TX for an extended weekend and then back. Total ride was about 640 miles round trip.
Charged to about 95% at home before leaving and then used the Supercharger at Three Rivers, TX. No sweat making it to Three Rivers and we took a brief break at the Love's center. The charge power ramped up to only 49kW at the start of charging which was lower than I expected (on the return trip it was over 100kW at the start of charging but in a different bay).
While at those superchargers we witnessed the oddest thing. When we arrived one bay was occupied with an ICE vehicle, a van. It was what that ICE Op was attempting to do with the supercharger connector that struck us as unusual. He was desperaetly trying to inflate his tires! This really happened and is not a joke.
At first I didn't realize what he was attempting to do until my wife, who was laughing, pointed at the guy. I really wanted to video him but I felt bad especially since his van had a Mexican license plate and obviously he had never seen a supercharger before.
Now that should have been the end of the story but it wasn't. Even though I had used Superchargers before on my Model S I started thinking maybe this guy knew something I didn't. I grabbed my connector and start examining the end of it in case there was an air valve present in there that I had never noticed before. In that brief moment however I thought to myself what an idiot I must have looked like. I think the entire event could have been a TV funny video!
While in McAllen the world wide Tesla system went down and that worried me that maybe I wouldn't be able to charge at the McAllen Convention center Superchargers for the return trip, this was not the case. By the way the McAllen Supercharger went almost all the way up to 120kW at the start of charging.
On the return trip we went back to the Three Rivers chargers but this time there were three Model 3's already there, wow! A bunch of people were around looking at them and talking to the drivers. It turned out these drivers were not the owners of the three cars, they were hired by a test company to try three different tire pressures on the three cars and then switch tires! I assume Tesla had commisioned the tests? Anyway, made it home in a little less than 6 hours including a few bio breaks and about 45 minutes of charging in Three Rivers. We could have shortened the trip if we had needed to. Most of the time we were driving at about 77 miles per hour using TAC. All in all a successful trip.

Did you tell the poor guy it was not a tyre inflator hose ?
Sagebrush, no, we didn't get a chance to talk to him because he just put the connector back in the stall, jumped into his van and left, probably frustrated.
There was also one other sort of humorous thing that happened on the return trip from McAllen. We were stopped at the US checkpoint at Falfurrias, TX where they check to make sure you are a US citizen. My window was down as required when the officer approached our car as usual and peeked his head inside. Suddenly he got a big smile on his face and commented on the big display and lack of speedometer then asked "what kind of car is this". I laughed and told him a Telsa, he just kept smiling and signaled us to move on. I think I may have made his day, certainly made mine.

Nice to see some Model 3 love in the Valley. Live in Houston now but originally from Port Isabel. Model 3 configured, waiting for delivery. Was thinking about how I was going to do a trip down to PI, worried about charging down there since there is no supercharger on the east side, don't want to go all the way to McAllen just to charge, completely out of my way. Looks like there's some destination chargers at hotels on the island, guess I will have to use those somehow, and then charge in Victoria.

On the first part of our trip down to McAllen I was driving and kept the car at about 76 or 77 mph, it reported about 275 Wh/mile. We switched drivers and my wife took over and she drove about 80 mph and by then the wind had picked up but I don't know by how much. She was using significantly more energy at around 350 Wh/mile but also it was later in the day by then and the temperature was rising outside so that may account for some of the added energy usage. We kept the inside cabin temp between 73 and 74 degrees. The temperature down in the Valley was also higher than in Austin that day so the air conditioner had to work harder as we went further south. On the return trip home we started out at about 8:00 am headed for Austin and I saw the temperature outside drop by a few degrees the entire way even into the afternoon. Once again we kept the cabin temperature at around 74 degrees. We both drove at about 77 mph during the return trip and the car reported about 275 Wh/mile. One caveat to that was that after supercharging in Three Rivers and immediately starting our trip the power usage was about 395 Wh/mile - probably to cool the battery pack?
Clearly under our trip conditions we were not getting anywhere near 310 miles per full charge (I used percentage during most of the trip anyway). I should also note that heat coming from the glass roof did not seem excessive but I have not yet had a chance to tint the side windows and I could feel some heat coming from them. I should have done a better job of documenting things but I was too excited by our first big trip!

So first big trip in our new Model 3, leaving from Austin, TX headed to McAllen, TX for an extended weekend and then back. Total ride was about 640 miles round trip.
Charged to about 95% at home before leaving and then used the Supercharger at Three Rivers, TX. No sweat making it to Three Rivers and we took a brief break at the Love's center. The charge power ramped up to only 49kW at the start of charging which was lower than I expected (on the return trip it was over 100kW at the start of charging but in a different bay).
While at those superchargers we witnessed the oddest thing. When we arrived one bay was occupied with an ICE vehicle, a van. It was what that ICE Op was attempting to do with the supercharger connector that struck us as unusual. He was desperaetly trying to inflate his tires! This really happened and is not a joke.
At first I didn't realize what he was attempting to do until my wife, who was laughing, pointed at the guy. I really wanted to video him but I felt bad especially since his van had a Mexican license plate and obviously he had never seen a supercharger before.
Now that should have been the end of the story but it wasn't. Even though I had used Superchargers before on my Model S I started thinking maybe this guy knew something I didn't. I grabbed my connector and start examining the end of it in case there was an air valve present in there that I had never noticed before. In that brief moment however I thought to myself what an idiot I must have looked like. I think the entire event could have been a TV funny video!
While in McAllen the world wide Tesla system went down and that worried me that maybe I wouldn't be able to charge at the McAllen Convention center Superchargers for the return trip, this was not the case. By the way the McAllen Supercharger went almost all the way up to 120kW at the start of charging.
On the return trip we went back to the Three Rivers chargers but this time there were three Model 3's already there, wow! A bunch of people were around looking at them and talking to the drivers. It turned out these drivers were not the owners of the three cars, they were hired by a test company to try three different tire pressures on the three cars and then switch tires! I assume Tesla had commisioned the tests? Anyway, made it home in a little less than 6 hours including a few bio breaks and about 45 minutes of charging in Three Rivers. We could have shortened the trip if we had needed to. Most of the time we were driving at about 77 miles per hour using TAC. All in all a successful trip.
Did you get a chance to feel the back of his head for the telltale signs of cretinism?

• Funny
Reactions: cizUK
Did you get a chance to feel the back of his head for the telltale signs of cretinism?
I think referring to the app outage, and fear it could be more than the app.
Yes Brkaus, I was referring to the app outage and I was very much concerned it might effect my ability to Supercharge.
To further answer an earlier posted question about what was my range, the car reported that I drove 147.9 miles from Three Rivers Tx to Austin, TX and that I used 40kWh of energy at 269 Wh/mile. I extrapolate this to be about 280 miles on a fully charged battery (75kWh). Considering a hihway speed of about 76 mph and a cabin temperature of 74 degrees I am satisfied with this range.

Reactions: Electroman
What wheels do you have--18" or 19"? Aeros covers on?
Sorry I should have mentioned the wheels! I have the 18's but the trip was without the Aero covers installed. I just couldn't stand the way those covers looked. At some point I will buy aftermarket turbines for the 18 inch wheels because I don't like the wheels with my blue car (looks pretty good with the red cars however).
By the way the drivers that I met at the superchargers that were hired by the testing company were also running the 18's without the aero covers.

I'll add my own datapoint and funny story. I too took my M3LR on its first long range trip from CT to DC and back this past weekend. It was about mid 60s the whole drive to and back and drove 75-80 the whole way. I have 18" aeros with covers on and averaged about 240 Wh/mi. The car consistently charged at 450-500 mi/hr on all my supercharging stops (SOC <30% for all of them) which was crazy fast. I went to the bathroom and before i got back already had gotten close to 20% charge. I never waited in my car for juice before moving on it was really shocking and I can't underestimate how fast this car supercharges. All were around 120 kW.

As for the funny stories: EVERYONE wants to talk to me about this car.

- On the first stop an S arrived to the SC about the same time as me. As I was walking away I saw him notice the car and when I was out of earshot I saw him do a full 360 walk around of my car. When I got back we chatted for a few minutes.
- Between the 1st and 2nd SC stop a guy in a Mercedes honked and waved at me and gave a thumbs up
- Also in traffic between 1st and 2nd SC stop I look to my left and the entire pickup truckfull of people (5) were staring at me
- On the 2nd SC stop an X owner asked me how I liked it and again we chatted for a few
- After the 2nd SC stop a woman in her CRV behind me noticed the car and I saw her face light up. She proceeded to take out her phone and video me for about 2 minutes before moving on
- Upon arrival in DC I went to plug in at my destination and my family's neighbor came over to chat. He had just recently placed his order and was waiting on a VIN. He regretted buying black when he saw my blu : ) but I think he did not want to pay the extra $1,000 so he was content with his choice.
- Another time I was by the car in DC I was showing my family around the frunk and some passer bys walking their dogs were astounded by the lack of engine in the front and wanted to chat
- On the 1st SC stop home again two different X owners wanted to chat and ask me about the car
- Between SC 1 and 2 a guy in a rav 4 did a full 180 8-10 times as he passed me to ogle the car to the point where I became worried he was not paying any attention to the road in front of him.
- On the 2nd SC stop home an S owner remarked how similar it was to his S and was really surprised Tesla was able to make such a comparable car for less money.

I'm probably leaving off a bunch of other instances but suffice to say this car draws a crowd and a lot of attention!!!

For those wanting more information. Looking at that route, Three Rivers is about 300' lower than Austin, and similar to McAllen. That could explain some of the better "mileage" on the first leg, but doesn't explain why you didn't get dinged on the return trip. Plugging this trip into abetterrouteplanner with 18" wheels, estimates usage around 270 Wh/mi while driving 77, so they may be really accurate.

What was the outside temp when you were driving?