Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Model X with 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have never found that, who knew "always connected" referred to wifi?? .... but it turns out it is properly checked so that is not the problem. So, I am in the same situation, 5 months and not one update :( When I look at my wifi signal icon when parked in my garage, I can see the wifi is signal is very low... would that prevent me from getting the update clock icon? It makes sense that it would be hard to process the update if wifi is low, but it seems like I would at least get the message that an update is available. Not once in 5 months.... crazy!
Always connected refers to the car being connected either over WiFi or Lte (cell service). It is not WiFi specific. It helps with you connecting through the app.

BTW: my car has never been connected to my home WiFi and it receives updates just fine.

I have a theory that most updates are minor and they don't get pushed out to too many vehicles. If you're having your vehicle serviced, they'll probably give you the latest, especially if you have issues that may be software related.

The reason I think this is because I rarely get updates as well. I went from 2.32.100 to 2.36.31 (skipped 4 updates). It also appears that the WiFi antenna in the Model-X has issues and I've heard of a lot of people (myself included) that have weak signal, despite other devices connecting fine. I hope it can be resolved with a SW update! Weak signal strength probably means delayed updates.

I suspect that you won't get notified of an update until the firmware has completely loaded and is ready to go.

I just dropped my X off for service at the Chicago SC. They stated that they delivered an X last week, that has 8.0 on it, but that was the only one they have seen so far - no other owners yet besides that brand new one (which is odd).

It is either really slow & controlled release for the X, or on hold a bit. They said if the get the green light or its available at SC today they would push it to my car, but they don't have it yet either available.

I rarely get minor updates. It doesn't matter 1 car on wifi and the other on 3G. Both are always weeks from the first reports online of major updates. Tesla doesn't appear to go by VIN order, nor wifi/cellular connection. Nor geofences either as some have suggested. When my car is at the SC, they always say they had to email headquarters to push the update notice to my car.

I rarely get minor updates. It doesn't matter 1 car on wifi and the other on 3G. Both are always weeks from the first reports online of major updates. Tesla doesn't appear to go by VIN order, nor wifi/cellular connection. Nor geofences either as some have suggested. When my car is at the SC, they always say they had to email headquarters to push the update notice to my car.

That sounds like your car might not be listed as delivered in their system. (At least that is what other people have said was the problem that was found when their car wasn't getting updates automatically.)

Yeah excited, while X was in service I got the "update is available" message here on my phone. I had the security update already so hopefully this is 8.0.

I'm not sure if they will start it. Seems like may leave it for me since it was an hour or so ago. Will update later...

Please let me know, at work currently gonna leave early and go to the SC if that is the case.

Aw dang, they didn't have a part they needed so don't get car back until Tuesday afternoon now.

-T

That has happened to me for both of my Service Center visits. I explain the issue in detail, then a few weeks later when I drop the car off, they don't have the necessary parts in stock to do the repair. Then when they finish fixing one of the items, they realize that they need another item that isn't in stock. I blame it on the growing pains of the Model X still being new. I think Tesla could overhaul their Service Centers are really save a lot of money. They currently seem inefficient at least when it comes to repairing the Model X.

That has happened to me for both of my Service Center visits. I explain the issue in detail, then a few weeks later when I drop the car off, they don't have the necessary parts in stock to do the repair. Then when they finish fixing one of the items, they realize that they need another item that isn't in stock. I blame it on the growing pains of the Model X still being new. I think Tesla could overhaul their Service Centers are really save a lot of money. They currently seem inefficient at least when it comes to repairing the Model X.

Yeah, hopefully this is the only thing its in for, a small piece they seemed to know was needed (seat riser).

But, I'll know about the software update tomorrow. It notified me today, but is likely pending. They may have set it to install tonight or they are waiting to let me install it on return home. It should be 8.0 unless another minor one came out. I checked VisibleTesla and the car is on v2.36.31 right now which was the last minor update.

Will check tomorrow if it updates tonight, or install tomorrow and update then.

I'm not sure how much the folks at the service center know, but I dropped my X by today to have a small repair done. I asked about the 8.0 update and they said that they had the 8.0 update available to install on Model S (and they only gained that ability last Friday), but did not yet have it for Model X. Not sure if this is helpful information at all, but I'm hoping someone here reports they get their update soon. Looking forward to it.

Also, just wanted to let K-MTG know that while i was there they noted I hadn't received my sunshade yet on my due bill and happily gave it to me.

I'm not sure how much the folks at the service center know, but I dropped my X by today to have a small repair done. I asked about the 8.0 update and they said that they had the 8.0 update available to install on Model S (and they only gained that ability last Friday), but did not yet have it for Model X. Not sure if this is helpful information at all, but I'm hoping someone here reports they get their update soon. Looking forward to it.

Also, just wanted to let K-MTG know that while i was there they noted I hadn't received my sunshade yet on my due bill and happily gave it to me.

Congrats on the sunshade!! Unfortunate news about V8.0 though

I saw that too, but it seems to be gone now from the tracker. Probably a mistake.

Teslafi.com shows two X's with the v8 update, but if you look at the VIN, it seems too high to be an X. Maybe the owners labeled their cars incorrectly. FWIW, Teslafi firmware version is pulled programmatically and is not self reported. Unfortunately, the model of the car/SUV is self reported :(.