Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor First Model Y Dyno Test!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Hi Guys!

We finally received our MYP last week and drove it straight to the shop for a dyno session. Here is the video we made with the results of the dyno test, which were not only "shocking", but also provide some insight into potential power increases via software for the M3P!

Despite it being heavier than the M3P by a few hundred pounds, it is extremely powerful and seems to us to be the leader among it's ICE counterparts (Jeep Trackhawk (4809lbs), Lamborghini Uras (4850lbs), BMW X3 M (4620lbs). It seems only the Porsche Macan Turbo is lighter, at 4279lbs.)

Let us know what you think!

Is there a way you can breakdown the results or post the charts in pics here? I tried watching the video but my patience is not there to go through it. Either way, I appreciate you dyno'ing the Y.
Cheers
I suspect they don’t have the patience to explain it twice to people that can’t meet them halfway. I’m sure others on the forum will oblige however.

• Funny
Reactions: UltradoomY
Bad ass! It's a Tesla so we already knew it was going to be very good, but thats a sweet power band.

I'm sure there's some margin and efficiencies they're working to increase or have in reserve for updates. Let's see what tuners can exploit.

Hi Guys!

We finally received our MYP last week and drove it straight to the shop for a dyno session. Here is the video we made with the results of the dyno test, which were not only "shocking", but also provide some insight into potential power increases via software for the M3P!

Despite it being heavier than the M3P by a few hundred pounds, it is extremely powerful and seems to us to be the leader among it's ICE counterparts (Jeep Trackhawk (4809lbs), Lamborghini Uras (4850lbs), BMW X3 M (4620lbs). It seems only the Porsche Macan Turbo is lighter, at 4279lbs.)

Let us know what you think!

So if I have this right, we're looking at 500 "wheel horsepower" which would translate to an equivalent "bhp" of approximately 588 if we were trying to get apples to apples to an ICE (assuming 15% parasitic loss between the bhp or crank horespower that manufacturers quote and wheel horsepower)? 588hp would seem explain 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for a 2+ ton crossover, me thinks, but I don't really pretend to be an expert about these things (for comparison, an X3M Competition makes 503 bhp and gets 0-60 in 4 flat, a GLC AMG 63 s makes 470 bhp and according to Mercedes gets 0-60 3.8 seconds, and a macan Turbo with 434 bhp gets to 60 in 4.1 seconds). So when someone asks how much power this thing puts down, what do we say for bragging rights (not that it really matters)......

That's a great question. If we were to put an X3M on this dyno, it would not read 503hp, it would be significantly less. I don't approve of bench racing or estimating how much driveline loss there was to pump up numbers. Dyno customers always ask what the BHP would be because the WHP is not as impressive-sounding! It is interesting that Tesla doesn't bother listing power figures at all.

So if I have this right, we're looking at 500 "wheel horsepower" which would translate to an equivalent "bhp" of approximately 588 if we were trying to get apples to apples to an ICE (assuming 15% parasitic loss between the bhp or crank horespower that manufacturers quote and wheel horsepower)? 588hp would seem explain 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for a 2+ ton crossover, me thinks, but I don't really pretend to be an expert about these things (for comparison, an X3M Competition makes 503 bhp and gets 0-60 in 4 flat, a GLC AMG 63 s makes 470 bhp and according to Mercedes gets 0-60 3.8 seconds, and a macan Turbo with 434 bhp gets to 60 in 4.1 seconds). So when someone asks how much power this thing puts down, what do we say for bragging rights (not that it really matters)......
You say bye and leave them at the light

Reactions: mark95476

Why would there be a 15% loss in an electric car? It's not a complex transmission, doesn't have a drive shaft or a center differential. You are also comparing a vehicle that makes it's power down low and rolls off as you gain speed. The cars you listed all make the rated power in a 1:1 gear, not in 1,2,3 which are where there 0-60 times are happening. Also, something like the BMW has a torque converter which multiples the torque off the line. I wouldn't bother with comparisons and stick to 0-60 and 1/4 times.

Reactions: mark95476
I used live for when the VTEC kicked-in, yo. Then I test drive a Tesla (and the story wrote itself).

Now I'm amazed at what little happens after stomping on the gas pedal (lots of noise, little acceleration after a huge delay) in an ICE.

Why would there be a 15% loss in an electric car? It's not a complex transmission, doesn't have a drive shaft or a center differential. You are also comparing a vehicle that makes it's power down low and rolls off as you gain speed. The cars you listed all make the rated power in a 1:1 gear, not in 1,2,3 which are where there 0-60 times are happening. Also, something like the BMW has a torque converter which multiples the torque off the line. I wouldn't bother with comparisons and stick to 0-60 and 1/4 times.

I'm not saying there is 15% loss in the Y, my point is trying to get apples to apples on the power of an equivalent ICE -- i.e. the power on the Y is essentially 10-15% more than equivalent 503 bhp X3M Comp which would not have 503 horespower at the wheels on a dyno due to the loss. 0-60 times take more than raw power into account (and yes, they are a more complete result of the speed of the car than the power it puts down, but they factor in the car's weight, aerodynamics, tires/wheels, delivery of the power (transmission), etc.), and if we're going to measure the power and say it's 500hp, my point is simply that it isn't apples to apples with other cars, you'd really have to say this is closer to 600hp on an ICE in the amount of energy being delivered to the wheels, right?