Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First month with the S and a little bummed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Rust" looking stuff in the front fascia might also be some kind of orange coating they use on the bumper, or something. Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer here but there are a few threads if you search. I had some in my cooling louvres area after a long delay sitting for days at the SC, but they didn't seem too concerned about it.

Zambono's note about the dent on the screen bezel made me cringe, not only because it should not be in the brand new car, but after 1 year of healthy but not overly heavy use mine now has a half a dozen dings, and I'm not even sure what I'm doing to cause them yet, probably just something being brought into the cabin grazing the area, eg. a bag zipper at the wrong moment.

The aluminum one might be a bit lighter than a plastic bezel but it seems really tinny, in an area where there will be a lot of contact, both with stuff and things as well as eyes. Oh well. I scheme that I'll figure out a filler compound one day ;)

But ya, I echo KZKZ and other members' concerns if this is any sort of trend. Mine was delivered with only a few minor issues, 1 year ago, and I would only expect that to get better and not worse...

Disappointing to hear so many of these stories.
Disappointing to hear any of these stories, as this is such a great car and the experience should start out right.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and davidc18
Music skips for me as well. A lot. All kinds:
- Slacker not usually, but happens.
- TuneIn local radio streams, often.
- USB FLACs, frequently.

I can swear I hit a bump and I get a skip sometimes, but it is likely, sadly, that I just get a lot of music skipping, as well as a lot of bumps as I am driving mostly on Toronto city roads (I see signs of improvement, but, ugh).

I thought is was just me, but slacker does skip sometimes for me on bumps... So weird to have this issue IMO. It's almost a behavior of spinning harddrive being used for caching audio before playing.

Reactions: Lex
"Rust" looking stuff in the front fascia might also be some kind of orange coating they use on the bumper, or something. Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer here but there are a few threads if you search. I had some in my cooling louvres area after a long delay sitting for days at the SC, but they didn't seem too concerned about it.

Zambono's note about the dent on the screen bezel made me cringe, not only because it should not be in the brand new car, but after 1 year of healthy but not overly heavy use mine now has a half a dozen dings, and I'm not even sure what I'm doing to cause them yet, probably just something being brought into the cabin grazing the area, eg. a bag zipper at the wrong moment.

The aluminum one might be a bit lighter than a plastic bezel but it seems really tinny, in an area where there will be a lot of contact, both with stuff and things as well as eyes. Oh well. I scheme that I'll figure out a filler compound one day ;)

But ya, I echo KZKZ and other members' concerns if this is any sort of trend. Mine was delivered with only a few minor issues, 1 year ago, and I would only expect that to get better and not worse...

Disappointing to hear any of these stories, as this is such a great car and the experience should start out right.

In my previous range rover I dinged the aluminum with the seat belt. In the S the screen does seem too far from the seat belts but it could happen I imagine. I found this dent on delivery so it was definitely not me.

Reactions: davidc18
It’s been warm out so I can now add the supper loud AC compressor that lots here say is normal but again I’ve never be around a car with a compressor this loud. There is no way this is normal. Normal for the components they chose to use I guess but not normal for an AC compressor that’s meant to be within a few feet of humans.

I also can add the right front sun visor is coming apart and had some glue coming out. :(

It really sucks. Some above have said they will (maybe) fix some stuff but when if ever? They still won’t tell me if or when they will fix the scratches and water spots that the car was delivered with some seven weeks ago now. What happens when I tell them about the other stuff?

The first few days I really looked forward to driving it but now it just makes me sad.

Tesla is improving on the sound front - albeit slowly. I recently drove back-to back a Lincoln MKZ rental, an old P85 loaner at 29000 miles, and my P85D (delivered January 2015, now at 15000 miles). The sound insulation going from worse to better was P85<P85D<<Lincoln. This was surprising to me, I was convinced the P85D and Lincoln would be similar, but that was not the case at highway speeds.

People also say the model X is much more quiet than model S - have not tested myself. I hope that the next model S refresh will touch this point too - better insulation and perhaps noise cancelling. Otherwise, there is going to be very little incentive to buy the S instead of the 3.

IMG_20160731_103032.jpg Here's where the visor is coming apart.
IMG_20160910_195129.jpg I get this low brake fluid error message when driving downhill near my house.

IMG_20160910_140234.jpgIts hard to get a clear picture of but the left rear plastic bumper is now coming away from the metal panel above it. I was able to push it in a little bit but it's slowly moves out again.

And now the mobile charger is dead and I can't charge my car.

They did call me a few weeks back to let me know that they saw my list of issues but refused to commit to any kind of date to actually look at the car. It's now been 15 some odd weeks for flips sake.

Very disappointing. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DCGOO and davidc18
Disappointing to hear so many of these stories.

Many thousands picked up Model S vehicles and have been very happy with them. But there's no reason to come to a forum and post "no problems on delivery."

Holy Crap......! And this is the "nicer" model. Worried about my Model 3 quite a bit. Maybe a nicely equipped C-Class will be a better option?

Even if I had problems on delivery like some of the people here have had, and I did not, I would get them fixed under warranty. It wouldn't change my view that after owning and driving a Tesla, I cringe whenever I have to drive an ICE and, needless to say, actually going out and buying one is not even a question for me. If you do decided to get a Model 3, instead of a C-Class, I predict you will be of the same view, after owning it and driving it, since my experience is not unique at all.

In my previous range rover I dinged the aluminum with the seat belt. In the S the screen does seem too far from the seat belts but it could happen I imagine. I found this dent on delivery so it was definitely not me.

I've gotten my car back from Service with 2 dents added to that metal frame in addition to the 1 dent I managed myself. It's disappointing - especially given the $361 quote to replace it (part, labor, tax).

I suppose I should be appreciative that there aren't more dents given the number of times the car has been in for service but yeah, it shouldn't happen as it tends to kill the word of mouth for a group of people that have to deal with an absolutely dizzying array of challenges every day.

I also have the AC compressor vibration through the steering wheel. My understanding from the forum is that this is related to one of the refrigerant lines rubbing against the steering linkage, and can be fixed.

I will probably see if I can find the problem and fix it myself as I think the service techs might do incidental damage repairing it. If you have them look into it, I would be interested in the results.

Wow...cant really relate. My model S with almost 44,000 miles has none of those issues except for slow web browsing...but I didn't buy it to surf the internet. Even so, I can usually get to the web page if the area has a good signal. Yeah the EOM floormats are lacking. I like the weathertechs though.

It feels solid and has been maintenance free except for that dang pothole I hit last week ...tire blowout from hell. A replacement tire was days away in every direction. Reminded me of the scene in "o brother where art thou" when Everett couldn't get Dapper Dan and settled for hair nets.

Reactions: JediNinjaLady
Would be nice if the browser is at least usable. It is way more than slow and I live in a populated area with full cell coverage.
Floormats? I could get the same quality at the Dollar store. Same with the carpet. I purchased Lloyd's mats to class up the interior a bit. :)
That said I LOVE the car. And I even give Tesla a break as a newer car company on some of the smaller issues. Call me a fanboi

Reactions: GSP