Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First month with the S and a little bummed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of mine in Feb 2015. Had a few very minor issues. Service center addressed them promptly and were a pleasure to work with. The only issue that they cannot repair is the chattering windshield wipers. Holy crap is that annoying. Especially when you live in FL. I also think the windshield was damaged when they "stripped" it in attempts to remove all contaminants. I've tried all kinds of things personally (including down sizing the driver side blade 2") and it still squeaks and chatters. Not as bad as it originally did but it still does it. Whenever I am in a econo box rental car and the wipers work silky smooth I can't help to be super annoyed. Advisor told us they work as they were designed too. Guess I have to live with it. I think a new windshield and all new wiper assemblies need to be installed. I am not holding my breath on that though.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Took delivery of mine in Feb 2015. Had a few very minor issues. Service center addressed them promptly and were a pleasure to work with. The only issue that they cannot repair is the chattering windshield wipers. Holy crap is that annoying. Especially when you live in FL. I also think the windshield was damaged when they "stripped" it in attempts to remove all contaminants. I've tried all kinds of things personally (including down sizing the driver side blade 2") and it still squeaks and chatters. Not as bad as it originally did but it still does it. Whenever I am in a econo box rental car and the wipers work silky smooth I can't help to be super annoyed. Advisor told us they work as they were designed too. Guess I have to live with it. I think a new windshield and all new wiper assemblies need to be installed. I am not holding my breath on that though.

I would push this issue. Mines do not chatter

Haven't had it in for anything in about a year. Maybe I'll start it up with them again if I am going in for something else. Oh, the little chrome ring on the gear selector stalk fell off recently. Doesn't need a service call for that but it just made me laugh.

My wipers glide smoothly, unless I rain-x the windshield. Which is very unfortunate because I really like having rain-x on my windshield to almost completely eliminate the need for wipers at highway speeds.

This has been discussed in other areas of TMC before, but basically there's some form of oddball design here because no other car seems to have that issue.

Tried wax, rain x, bought the Bosch Icon blades, dropped drivers side blade 2" shorter, professional grade windshield decontamination, clay bar, all the tips/tricks mentioned in the various wiper threads found on this forum.... Service center has made 2 runs at it with minimal progress. The last time they did some aggressive cleaning process that makes the exterior windshield do some weird stuff when it's a very humid atmosphere (it fogs up in strange patterns and fogs over way too easy). I think the finish of the windshield has been compromised. They blame the whole problem on the fact that I applied Rain X at some point. Rain X makes a product that removes itself (ironic right?) and if that was the case that should've been all they needed. I was told they had to mechanically strip (they used some type of high speed orbital device and lord knows what kind of chemical) the windshield several times to get the water to "sheet off".

I'd say we are about 85% to the point of where I could live with it. It is literally my only real issue with the car. All the other things people complain about (fit and finish, not comparable to Mercedes Benz at similar price, random interior noises, etc...) I can swallow since I was realistic with my expectations of a car company that is basically brand new. Just wait until you are in a hard rain and stomp on the go pedal and feel some water drops on your forehead... I just giggle a little bit. BTW, they have already "fixed" that as well.

Jason

I know they blame the Rain-X, but Rain-X HELPS on every other car in existence. What did Tesla do wrong with theirs?

I said the exact same thing. I've used it on every car I've ever owned (and some cars I have rented) for 25yrs and it's never caused an issue. The sheeting that happens now on the windshield is actually dangerous. The wipers don't work fast enough to clear the windshield in a hard rain storm so I can barely see where I am going. Whereas if I had rain x applied I could be going the close to the speed limit and see perfectly. Beyond frustrating!

Sorry to hear the stories here, especially hearing attempts at "refinishing" the windshield with a power tool. Ugh.

Aquapel is something that car detailers use but you can find it online. It's like RainX on steroids, lasts 6 months. But it is another coating product so best to try it out in an area first, and sadly that means wasting a single-use applicator (maybe use the rest on another car).

I try to get to applying it every 6 months (then I apply RainX to the rest of the car's glass). I can get a bit of wiper chatter, but like green1 said with RainX I barely need the wipers, usually only in foggy/misty or very light rain conditions.

I do have the "chatter" problem with my wipers too!! Seems to be more problematic on the driver side. Service Center told me that everything is normal....

Drop the drivers side blade down to 26" (2" shorter than stock - I think stock is 28"). Use the Bosch Icon blades. That probably made the biggest improvement but still not perfect.

I tried to get the service center to admit it wasn't working properly but they were very corporate and would only say they work as designed. Basically same as what you were told.

Drop the drivers side blade down to 26" (2" shorter than stock - I think stock is 28"). Use the Bosch Icon blades. That probably made the biggest improvement but still not perfect.

I tried to get the service center to admit it wasn't working properly but they were very corporate and would only say they work as designed. Basically same as what you were told.
Unfortunately it's pretty clear that they are correct, they do work as designed. The problem is the design sucks.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex and Racerx22b
Another wiper chatterer sufferer here. I haven't changed anything - no coating, no different wipers - and it's only the driver's side bottom half that does it. Annoying as hell. Living in MN, I need my wipers to work!

I'll give the Bosch Icon and shorter ones a go - small investment if it helps!

Another wiper chatterer sufferer here. I haven't changed anything - no coating, no different wipers - and it's only the driver's side bottom half that does it. Annoying as hell. Living in MN, I need my wipers to work!

I'll give the Bosch Icon and shorter ones a go - small investment if it helps!

Give it time... the top half will start soon enough. The shorter one helps some. I didn't even notice the difference in blade size. In fact, I didn't even tell my wife I changed it and she has never noticed.

The car sat for almost 2 weeks, (Missed the CA rebate by a few days.) had hard water spots and some lights scratches at delivery. They showed this to me at delivery instead of correcting it first, now I am still waiting for them to have time to get the car cleaned and scratches removed and I’m an hour away from the service center.

I was told the car would be delivered on a truck to the service center with no mileage. It was not, it was driven to the service center with 50 miles on it. That or they drove it 50 miles to fix other issues before delivery. I would have picked it up at the factory.

There is vibration in the steering wheel at times even when the car parked.

There is a bit too much road and wind noise in the car from 30mph on. I don’t think it’s because the car is otherwise so quite. Maybe I did not get the fancy tires with foam inside. My truck and other cars do much better at this and the engine noise is not that bad on newer cars. I didn’t even really notice the IS250 was running unless pushing hard from a stop or passing someone.

The floor mats are bad and the backs are already curling up.

The seatbelts, why is it so hard to buckle them? Small issue I know and I don’t know if it’s the angle or what but everyone takes a few moments getting bucked in.

The rear trunk carpeting is not installed correctly and the floor cover to the storage under the floor cannot be fully inserted.

The front bumper is not installed correctly and pushes into both wheel wells. Not seen this on the few other Teslas I’ve been around.

The coating inside the driver side headlight is incomplete/damaged and light shines through little holes in the coating.

The doors are harder to close that seems reasonable. They saw me having trouble with this at delivery and said something about Tesla doors are like that and you have to give them a good push to close them.

The doors do seem kind of flimsy but I guess that is part of the frameless design. Not used to that without a convertible top. Even so, my Honda S2000 had a more satisfying door close.

The rear doors flare out away from the body. I’ve seen worse in the forums here but not on any car I’ve owned and it seems silly after all this time that they can’t get this and the panel gap ironed out. Some kind of jig at the factory that makes it imposable to not have stuff line up.

The panel gaps are on the lager side and on the front hood get bigger towards the front of the car.

The head unit is slow. Having the web browser is cool but I can’t really use it. Not sure if its CPU or bandwidth limited. Seems to be the CPU/GPU though. My phone dose 1920x1080 silky smooth.

I also have the music skipping issue. Not a huge deal but never had a head unit or any AVR do that.

I know this won’t be new info for most but the one month in survey from Tesla spurred me to post.

Had my MS for 3 weeks. Love it. Not one of the issues you have. Sorry that you're having problems.