TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First move from Tesla vs Uber ?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Ovulation, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ovulation

Ovulation Member

• Informative x 2
  2. RWcarbon

RWcarbon Vendor

Partnering up with local communities is a great idea! I wonder how this partnership will differ itself from other electric vehicle based transit applications such as Tesloop.

3. Trips

Trips Member

From the Master Plan Part Deux:
    "In addition to consumer vehicles, there are two other types of electric vehicle needed: heavy-duty trucks and high passenger-density urban transport. Both are in the early stages of development at Tesla and should be ready for unveiling next year. We believe the Tesla Semi will deliver a substantial reduction in the cost of cargo transport, while increasing safety and making it really fun to operate.

With the advent of autonomy, it will probably make sense to shrink the size of buses and transition the role of bus driver to that of fleet manager. Traffic congestion would improve due to increased passenger areal density by eliminating the center aisle and putting seats where there are currently entryways, and matching acceleration and braking to other vehicles, thus avoiding the inertial impedance to smooth traffic flow of traditional heavy buses. It would also take people all the way to their destination. Fixed summon buttons at existing bus stops would serve those who don't have a phone. Design accommodates wheelchairs, strollers and bikes."

• Informative x 1
  4. f-stop

f-stop Member

If only all city & regional governments were so forward-thinking....

I had to laugh at the last part of that sentence... at least around here if we rely on local governments to decide anything we'll never see autonomous driving, let alone autonomous ride sharing. Vancouver is the largest city in N.America to still not allow any ride sharing services - and this week the government just announced they need another year to think about it. and meanwhile there's a huge shortage of taxis - no new company has been issued a taxi license here in 25yrs

The plus side of all this is that I'm not at all upset my <1yr old Model S doesn't have AP v2.0 hardware!

5. voyager

voyager Member

6. Ovulation

Ovulation Member

I have the rural communties in mind, which often provide public transport for the eldery and kids as a public service and not for profit (at least here in europe). It's no suprise that Uber, really, goes only in major cities

btw. in big cities (Megacities) they could probably ban the use of privalty owned cars (in certain areas and run a self driving car service for themself ...

7. voyager

voyager Member