Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First MY Road Trip. The Good, Bad and Ugly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 was designed to be the value leader for Tesla and continues to do so.

It is the best "bang for the buck" and many feel it looks better than the SUV model Y.

That being said, the Model Y will ride the American SUV wave of desirability. It has far greater capability, space and a higher hide height.

Those are are the reason that Americans are making them their choice, even though they are less efficient, not as good looking and more expensive. This applies to not only Tesla, but all the other manufactures.

The 4 door sedans are falling out of favor, even while costing less, using less fuel and offering better handling and "fun driving"

For a single person or even married couple who have no kids, dogs, nor the need to carry bicycles or sports equipment or make large Costco runs, the 4 door sedan can still offer the best value.
There is also a physical factor. For x football players like me with a lot of back issues, getting in and out of a sedan is a painful experience. The added height of a crossover or full SUV is absolutely necessary for me. Ironically the easiest car I have owned for getting in and out of was my Corvette Convertible (with the top down).

Model 3 was designed to be the value leader for Tesla and continues to do so.

It is the best "bang for the buck" and many feel it looks better than the SUV model Y.

That being said, the Model Y will ride the American SUV wave of desirability. It has far greater capability, space and a higher hide height.

Those are are the reason that Americans are making them their choice, even though they are less efficient, not as good looking and more expensive. This applies to not only Tesla, but all the other manufactures.

The 4 door sedans are falling out of favor, even while costing less, using less fuel and offering better handling and "fun driving"

For a single person or even married couple who have no kids, dogs, nor the need to carry bicycles or sports equipment or make large Costco runs, the 4 door sedan can still offer the best value.

Or just have one of each

Attachments

• 1D101CC1-C8F8-4A8E-A881-9411F0C9349E.jpeg
    1D101CC1-C8F8-4A8E-A881-9411F0C9349E.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 186
So, which one do you prefer?

I like your collection of License plates. Did you had one for each different car you had?

Do you share the charger or do you have a charger for one of each? I cannot see from the pic.

Thanks! Being retired Military I've been stationed all over and I got a new plate whenever I change states/cars. I've had multiple cars but my favorites have been my Nissan Xterra, WRX and my Golf R that I traded for the Model 3 and those have all had their respective fun personalized plates.

I had an electrician install another 240V on my Wife's side of the garage near the tool bench, wasn't cheap but much easier than constantly moving vehicles. She usually pulls in but I wanted this picture for the forums. We both have 60mi roundtrips so it's about 2hrs to charge back up to 85%, oddly I'm able to pull 33MPH compared to 28-29MPH (both at 32A and 237-242V both on 50A breakers) but I think it's the longer run for her charger.

After driving the Model Y a couple days in a row I think its a much better vehicle. It just feels better and more refined. I know it's early in build numbers and we had a couple problems that were fixed for the most part but the car feels good. My Model 3 is a June 2019 build so Tesla had it together at that point but the Model Y to me feels better. The rear seats have a much better seating position along with that amazing roof view. Plus it's dual motor and 0-60 is 4.6 compared to my SR+ at like what 5.3 maybe on a perfect day so yeah it gets up and goes. I also noticed it has a lot more power when at highway speeds to get going too.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Make sure you click on "navigate on autopilot" Then enjoy the ride!
Totally impressed with FSD. It handled the majority of a 160 mile drive, and the learning curve to get comfortable with it was a matter of minutes. As someone who has always loved to drive, it was a weird feeling to give up control.... but it felt like the future. As a side note, we tend to lug a lot of stuff, and the capacity of the Y over the 3 was night and day.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_065702.jpg
    IMG_20200621_065702.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 57
Totally impressed with FSD. It handled the majority of a 160 mile drive, and the learning curve to get comfortable with it was a matter of minutes. As someone who has always loved to drive, it was a weird feeling to give up control.... but it felt like the future. As a side note, we tend to lug a lot of stuff, and the capacity of the Y over the 3 was night and day.

What was your consumption over that 160miles? Seems as long as we’re around 300 Wh/mi then we’re on doing good.

Update: after a week with the Model Y, FSD has handled night, rain and two way traffic. Other than the occasional warning to take control when entering construction areas with unclear markings (which TBH confused me!), it has been close to flawless. Consumption is consistently <300 Wh/mi - when I drive the same roads I see >325 Wh/mi. I made the somewhat pricey leap from the 3 to the Y and it was worth every dollar.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I agree the AP system needs to be a bit more lenient on the advisory to apply pressure to steering wheel. I drive a lot on long straight Florida roads and it seems like it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes the warning comes up every mile - other times a few miles/minutes.