Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Tesla decisions like this that remind me that Tesla's head has grown just too big.

Sell $100,000+++ car and cheap out by not including a $200 portable charger. Now, they're cheaping out further by no longer selling the Model S & X with a $175 key fob. This, despite knowing that the majority want a key fob, noting how many complained about the phone and key card being the only options for the Model 3.

Sure the $375 combined for these items can easily be afforded by anyone purchasing an S or X, but come on Tesla, it's decisions like this that just piss people off for no reason. Charge $375 more for the car if you have to. $100,000 price tag and up, nobody is going to notice. But they're going to notice that they don't have a way to charge the car when they get it home and that they have to deal with the PITA phone as a key or key card instead of a simple passive key fob that never requires a second thought.

Fortunately, not an issue for me as many of their prior decisions finally forced me out of a Tesla after 9 consecutive years in multiple Tesla's. But, even if I was still in the market for one, this is just about principle more than it is anything else. Especially on a $100,000++ car. Pisses me off and I'm not going to be impacted by it. Again, just the principle of it. It further drives a stake between myself and ever owning a Tesla again. What's next, the battery going to be sold separately too?

As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, but I believe that every other EV (besides Tesla's) on the planet sold, comes with a portable charger and a key fob. If not all, then certainly most.

I really do feel that Tesla is in for a rude awakening in the not too distant future. Others are catching up. With the economy slowing, buying habits are going to change (already are). That combined with now viable competitive alternatives available, Tesla's "because we can" attitude is going to have to change as customers will start saying "NO MORE".

For now, they still have more orders than what they can produce, so they don't give a crap. But, it will change. And not in the all that distant future.

Tesla Stops Selling Model S And X With Key Fobs

I am used to the key fobs and I ordered two off Ebay for my new M3 for less than half of what Tesla is asking.
The M3 garage opener box contains a 2x2" lightweight plastic box and a bracket, has "DO NOT OPEN"
stamped in black over dark blue background, of course wife opened it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It's Tesla decisions like this that remind me that Tesla's head has grown just too big.

Sell $100,000+++ car and cheap out by not including a $200 portable charger. Now, they're cheaping out further by no longer selling the Model S & X with a $175 key fob. This, despite knowing that the majority want a key fob, noting how many complained about the phone and key card being the only options for the Model 3.

Sure the $375 combined for these items can easily be afforded by anyone purchasing an S or X, but come on Tesla, it's decisions like this that just piss people off for no reason. Charge $375 more for the car if you have to. $100,000 price tag and up, nobody is going to notice. But they're going to notice that they don't have a way to charge the car when they get it home and that they have to deal with the PITA phone as a key or key card instead of a simple passive key fob that never requires a second thought.

Fortunately, not an issue for me as many of their prior decisions finally forced me out of a Tesla after 9 consecutive years in multiple Tesla's. But, even if I was still in the market for one, this is just about principle more than it is anything else. Especially on a $100,000++ car. Pisses me off and I'm not going to be impacted by it. Again, just the principle of it. It further drives a stake between myself and ever owning a Tesla again. What's next, the battery going to be sold separately too?

As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, but I believe that every other EV (besides Tesla's) on the planet sold, comes with a portable charger and a key fob. If not all, then certainly most.

I really do feel that Tesla is in for a rude awakening in the not too distant future. Others are catching up. With the economy slowing, buying habits are going to change (already are). That combined with now viable competitive alternatives available, Tesla's "because we can" attitude is going to have to change as customers will start saying "NO MORE".

For now, they still have more orders than what they can produce, so they don't give a crap. But, it will change. And not in the all that distant future.

I bet floor mats will soon be on the chopping block. They already were removed from the base Model 3. Only a matter of time till Tesla starts removing it from other models. Also, cars will only come with 1 keycard and you'll have to pony up $$$ for extras.

where were you when auto makers quit putting spares in cars, gas caps on gas tanks, dont forget to point out the short comings of your current brand you drive, none of them are perfect.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Lol bruh.
Just Cus you don't use your fobs doesn't mean others won't either ... 🤦‍♂️

Not everyone's the same fam
Most don’t use the Fobs when phone as key is available. For those that want Fobs, let them pay for it.

Most, is the key point here. And Tesla knows it too.

Fobs are junk BTW and require a cage on them, which make them even bulkier.

I carry no physical keys, that is the future. If you prefer live in the past with your futuristic car, go for it.

Some still prefer flip phones too.

I don't think Tesla did this to save buckets of money as much as they determine that no one uses them. Our 2018 Model X came with a Fob and is required. With the 3 and Y using phone as a key and the new S/X offering the same feature, the Fob is no longer required to operate the vehicle.
As far as the mobile connecter, I don't remember the last time I used it. With home charging and all the super chargers coming out Tesla determined they are not being used. I recently purchased the CCS adapter for our MY and I feel that provides better options than the mobile connector. Sure the J1772 connector should still be an option. We recently found out that Volta is offering free DC charging at most malls. Again, this is where having the CCS adapter makes the better option over a mobile connector.
I bet floor mats will soon be on the chopping block. They already were removed from the base Model 3. Only a matter of time till Tesla starts removing it from other models. Also, cars will only come with 1 keycard and you'll have to pony up $$$ for extras.
There are a zillion post on FB and here where people have purchased some type of after market floor mats well before receiving the car. I would bet you're right, floor mats are next to be removed.

Reactions: GSP
I have ONLY used mobile chargers for my entire 12 years of Tesla ownership.

Further, we have been using fobs exclusively during this entire time as well. I find the fobs are even more useful now that I have moved to a Model X. It is WAY faster for me to reach into my pocket and open the trunk or FWD as I am approaching the vehicle than it is to pull out my phone, open the app, wait for it to connect, etc. I carry the fob in my front pocket and have never had an issue.

Look, both this and the mobile charger issues are extremely simple. Just give customers a $400 (or whatever amount makes sense) credit to be used in the Tesla store. Then they can buy a wall connector or mobile charger, fobs or not. They could also make the credit larger for S/X customers to cover fobs and to show that it is a premium car over the 3/Y.

The fact that Tesla is not doing this (offering a credit) makes it a fact that this is about saving money and continuously decreasing value to customers to Tesla's benefit.

Here is a glimpse of the future:
There's got to be a hack for that similar to the below link but, no one probably wants to touch a BMW.

Human nature to not like it when something is taken away from you and not get compensated in some way, regardless of whether you actually use the mobile connector, fobs, etc. I personally like the fob (P85D here so no other choice), but have literally used the mobile connector only twice. Nissan didn’t include it std for the entry pkg Leaf prior to ‘22.
Floor mats were an extra charge for other makes when I purchased (BMW, Merc). Same argument with spare tires. Took something away without compensating folks, but no one is complaining when it’s actually higher impact to your life (being stranded).

Reactions: Pseudofinn

I’ve never carried my key fobs that came with my plaid X.. no need for them Tesla can cut costs