Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most don’t use the Fobs when phone as key is available. For those that want Fobs, let them pay for it.

Most, is the key point here. And Tesla knows it too.

Fobs are junk BTW and require a cage on them, which make them even bulkier.

I carry no physical keys, that is the future. If you prefer live in the past with your futuristic car, go for it.

Some still prefer flip phones too.
I'm not one that wants to carry a big bulky phone around everywhere I go. Commonly leave it in the car when out for short periods of time. Would much rather have a tiny little, smooth key fob that weighs nothing in my pocket that I never notice is there, than have to grab and carry my 6 inch x 4 inch phone everywhere.

And Tesla added the Key Fob option to the Model 3 because "most people" wanted them.

Most don’t use the Fobs when phone as key is available. For those that want Fobs, let them pay for it.

Most, is the key point here. And Tesla knows it too.

Fobs are junk BTW and require a cage on them, which make them even bulkier.

I carry no physical keys, that is the future. If you prefer live in the past with your futuristic car, go for it.

Some still prefer flip phones too.
Couldn't agree more. My last car had a fob, almost obviously. My M3 doesn't and it makes perfect sense- but suddenly I'm driving a P100D loaner- and I cannot get over the fact that I've got to carry a GD fob with this $140K thing. It feels like a number of steps backward. This is progress, I can't understand this thread and blatantly standing in the way of it like this. Stick in the mud. I think a lot of X and S owners might be shocked to the core to find how far the brand has come since they dropped all that money. Some are down right mad!

Reactions: CyberGus
I'm not one that wants to carry a big bulky phone around everywhere I go. Commonly leave it in the car when out for short periods of time. Would much rather have a tiny little, smooth key fob that weighs nothing in my pocket that I never notice is there, than have to grab and carry my 6 inch x 4 inch phone everywhere.

And Tesla added the Key Fob option to the Model 3 because "most people" wanted them.
You should be praising Tesla for their forward thinking, helping owners like you who want to be stealth without their phone, they provide a card the size of a credit card that can be placed in a wallet or purse so you don’t Need the cumbersome bulky phone or even the key fob. You said it’s not about the money raise the price of the car you just want the fob……..please check out the accessories section of their shop they have conveniently placed fobs in the for sale section just for those who believe they are the only way to travel.

You could buy the Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo at $190K, but oops, no mobile cable is included. It's a $1,120 option. Actually, on the Taycan 4S, you have to pay more than $29K for all the options Tesla includes at no cost. Here's a more detailed comparison for those interested: Taycan vs. Model S – TeslaTap
Interior carbon fiber is not an included option on the long range.

Tesla nickel and dime approach to maintaining / increasing its margins. I was told by my service advisor that the new refreshed matrix headlights and taillights are actually cheaper to manufacture despite being a modern look. The old individual LED headlights were more expensive than applying a light tube diffuser with much fewer LED's.

Regarding the key FOB, it sits in a drawer for me at home and I only bring it on road-trips or when I know I will valet the car. I could give the key card, but that's a security risk and can be used to pair a blank FOB or to a phone (much more difficult to pair since it requires Tesla verification).

Tesla eliminates options/accessories based on objective data. The car knows how many customers uses a key fob vs card vs phone. I'm sure it's the minority of us who uses our key fobs and they eliminated it similar how they got rid of lumbar support on the 3 and Y. It will piss some off, but for the majority of owners or prospective customers, it doesn't matter. I don't like having bulgy things in my pocket and my iPhone 12 Max is big enough, I've always hated FOBs and many manufacturers seem to make theirs bigger and bigger. If I could get rid of my house keys I would, unfortunately I live in a building and I and all residents would need to replace all keys with biometrics or phone keys.

Reactions: CyberGus
Problem is that Tesla’s vehicles are already so spartan, especially considering the prices, and it seems you just continuously get less while prices stay the same. The Genesis GV60 has Face ID for unlocking the doors, which is actually innovative, and yet you still get a key fob.

Tesla’s changes have nothing to do with innovation, it’s simply looking for things that can be cut to continue pushing out deliveries amid the chip shortages while pissing off as few people as possible. But there’s nothing good about this, just varying degrees of bad.

Problem is that Tesla’s vehicles are already so spartan, especially considering the prices, and it seems you just continuously get less while prices stay the same. The Genesis GV60 has Face ID for unlocking the doors, which is actually innovative, and yet you still get a key fob.

Tesla’s changes have nothing to do with innovation, it’s simply looking for things that can be cut to continue pushing out deliveries amid the chip shortages while pissing off as few people as possible. But there’s nothing good about this, just varying degrees of bad.
I own a Porsche 911... $750 for blindspot assist that is standard on 98% of cars nowadays. I have manual seats, xenon headlights, and other compromises to prioritize on the features that are truly important to me (chrono package, full-leather, the right wheels, individual features, etc.). $130k spec'd out sports car without basic functionality that an econobox provides for free. Would you think differently of Tesla if they made it a la carte? It's a love hate relationship with companies like Porsche and Tesla, but at the end of the day, you own one for the technology and things they do well. I don't think that Tesla will ever go down the route of too many options or a la carte, it would only slowdown their assembly lines with too many individual customizations.

You should be praising Tesla for their forward thinking, helping owners like you who want to be stealth without their phone, they provide a card the size of a credit card that can be placed in a wallet or purse so you don’t Need the cumbersome bulky phone or even the key fob. You said it’s not about the money raise the price of the car you just want the fob……..please check out the accessories section of their shop they have conveniently placed fobs in the for sale section just for those who believe they are the only way to travel.
I don't carry my bulky wallet either. The card is bigger in dimensions than the key fob is. And, it digs into my legs and certain angles. Again, never even notice they fob is there.

Not to mention that with the fob, that I don't notice in my pocket, ever, and never, ever have a problem with it working, I simply walk up to the car, the open the door, drive away. Key card, you have to pull it out, place it in the right spot, then place it in the right spot inside the car. If you wait more than 30 or 60 seconds to drive away, have to pull it out again and place it in the right spot to drive the car. A royal pain in the rear for someone like me that is in and out of my car 10+ times a day. Not a big deal for those that do so twice a day to go to and from work. I notice it more because I have to deal with it 10+ times a day.

With the phone in my back pocket, doesn't work half the time. Have to do a little dance around the car to get it to pick up the phone and unlock the doors. Or pull the phone out completely. Plus, bluetooth being on all day drains the battery much much faster, doesn't work 100% of the time as does a key fob. And again, have to carry around a bulky 6x4 phone versus this tiny little key fob that goes completely unnoticed in my pocket. It allows me to walk up to the car and drive away every single time without having to give it a first thought, let alone a second thought.

But, the great thing is.....for those that want to use a key card or their phone as a key, it's available to them. My point is, for $100,000+, don't skimp out on a $175 feature that the majority of people choose to use over the other two options. For those that live with a phone attached to their person at all times, then it's not a horrible option, when it works properly. For some, it works better than for others. There have been endless complaints since 2017 with the first Model 3 about people having issues with the phone key or key card. Virtually NEVER hear about people having issues with a key fob doing what it's supposed to do. Once every couple of years, you have to change the battery.

To each is own. Use what works best for you. Just annoyed that Tesla keeps making cost cutting decisions to a premium flagship vehicle that they've continued to significantly raise the price on.

I don't carry my bulky wallet either. The card is bigger in dimensions than the key fob is. And, it digs into my legs and certain angles. Again, never even notice they fob is there.

Not to mention that with the fob, that I don't notice in my pocket, ever, and never, ever have a problem with it working, I simply walk up to the car, the open the door, drive away. Key card, you have to pull it out, place it in the right spot, then place it in the right spot inside the car. If you wait more than 30 or 60 seconds to drive away, have to pull it out again and place it in the right spot to drive the car. A royal pain in the rear for someone like me that is in and out of my car 10+ times a day. Not a big deal for those that do so twice a day to go to and from work. I notice it more because I have to deal with it 10+ times a day.

With the phone in my back pocket, doesn't work half the time. Have to do a little dance around the car to get it to pick up the phone and unlock the doors. Or pull the phone out completely. Plus, bluetooth being on all day drains the battery much much faster, doesn't work 100% of the time as does a key fob. And again, have to carry around a bulky 6x4 phone versus this tiny little key fob that goes completely unnoticed in my pocket. It allows me to walk up to the car and drive away every single time without having to give it a first thought, let alone a second thought.

But, the great thing is.....for those that want to use a key card or their phone as a key, it's available to them. My point is, for $100,000+, don't skimp out on a $175 feature that the majority of people choose to use over the other two options. For those that live with a phone attached to their person at all times, then it's not a horrible option, when it works properly. For some, it works better than for others. There have been endless complaints since 2017 with the first Model 3 about people having issues with the phone key or key card. Virtually NEVER hear about people having issues with a key fob doing what it's supposed to do. Once every couple of years, you have to change the battery.

To each is own. Use what works best for you. Just annoyed that Tesla keeps making cost cutting decisions to a premium flagship vehicle that they've continued to significantly raise the price on.
You can find anything to complain about can’t ya? Good thing the Model X opens and closes the door for you 10+ times a day, however I’m sure that in some way even that is an inconvenience to you.

You can find anything to complain about can’t ya? Good thing the Model X opens and closes the door for you 10+ times a day, however I’m sure that in some way even that is an inconvenience to you.
One of those that gets offended by any comment other than "Oh I love tesla and everything they do, they're so perfect". ! LOL

Saying I'm complaining about everything because I posted that it sucks that Tesla took away a very useful feature that has been included for 10 years! More like, you're looking for any reason to complain about someone speaking reality.

And, to your statement about he Model X's doors, if you want to go there.............., actually, there's a reason I chose the Model S over the Model X. Doors were a big reason for that. I won't say why, you can read the forums to find all the complaints that exist about Model X doors. To make you happy, I'll just say "ooh, aahh, they're just the absolute greatest thing EVER. Love, love, love them! Thank you Elon for being so perfect!".

Was that better for you?

OK, now I have to go wash my nose off as it's filled with crap from that brown nosing session of complete BS!! LOL

One of those that gets offended by any comment other than "Oh I love tesla and everything they do, they're so perfect". ! LOL

Saying I'm complaining about everything because I posted that it sucks that Tesla took away a very useful feature that has been included for 10 years! More like, you're looking for any reason to complain about someone speaking reality.

And, to your statement about he Model X's doors, if you want to go there.............., actually, there's a reason I chose the Model S over the Model X. Doors were a big reason for that. I won't say why, you can read the forums to find all the complaints that exist about Model X doors. To make you happy, I'll just say "ooh, aahh, they're just the absolute greatest thing EVER. Love, love, love them! Thank you Elon for being so perfect!".

Was that better for you?

OK, now I have to go wash my nose off as it's filled with crap from that brown nosing session of complete BS!! LOL
Awwww looks like Karen showed up,

Hard to valet a car without a key fob!! I wouldn’t want to give the key card or obviously not my phone for someone else to drive the car.

How hard? Model 3 and Y owners may need to know this
I never thought about this until now. Is it really that easy to program a phone or spare card if a valet is given a card? That is a serious security vulnerability. It would be an easy fix on Tesla’s part to allow us to create a valet key card that does not have the privilege of allowing programming. Personally, I always put my car in Valet mode when handing off my vehicle. That should solve that problem.

I have ONLY used mobile chargers for my entire 12 years of Tesla ownership.

Further, we have been using fobs exclusively during this entire time as well. I find the fobs are even more useful now that I have moved to a Model X. It is WAY faster for me to reach into my pocket and open the trunk or FWD as I am approaching the vehicle than it is to pull out my phone, open the app, wait for it to connect, etc. I carry the fob in my front pocket and have never had an issue.

Look, both this and the mobile charger issues are extremely simple. Just give customers a $400 (or whatever amount makes sense) credit to be used in the Tesla store. Then they can buy a wall connector or mobile charger, fobs or not. They could also make the credit larger for S/X customers to cover fobs and to show that it is a premium car over the 3/Y.

The fact that Tesla is not doing this (offering a credit) makes it a fact that this is about saving money and continuously decreasing value to customers to Tesla's benefit.
Agree...
Always use key fob...never the app or keycard...

Always use mobile charger...how else are you going to charge from home?

• Funny
Reactions: Pseudofinn
Agree...
Always use key fob...never the app or keycard...

Always use mobile charger...how else are you going to charge from home?
Many by the High Powered Wall Charger for home. But, not necessary if you have a NEMA-50 plug, then the mobile charger works just fine. The HPWC does charge faster, but the mobile charger usually gets the job done overnight, which is all the matters for most.

Also, added benefit to the key fob is the ability to move the car forward and back very simply with the fob. Or open the charge port door. As others noted, also very easy to open the frunk and trunk as well, rather than having to take the time to open the app, go to the correct page and open the trunk or frunk from there. It's such a useful little thing that we've taken for granted on cars for the past 30+ years. Even more so now that most are passive key fobs that don't require pushing a button to unlock the doors and for many cars, like the Tesla, also let you simply get in and drive away without having to give a thought to placing a key card somewhere.

Tesla customers made a lot of noise when the Model 3 didn't have a key fob option. It took Tesla only a few months to offer one. The customers spoke. There will of course always be a few that are satisfied with just using the phone key option. Can't imagine anyone believing the key card option is best for daily use, but there may be a couple. But the majority of owners prefer a simple key fob.

More importantly for Tesla though, I think it's just another step that will annoy many customers, especially those that can afford $100,000+ cars.