Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not Fanboi's response. Seems like, in these forums, some trolls love to complain about things like key fobs and act like it's the end all be all of accessing your car. A weak argument is that a phone is not an ideal access device when you're already charging it wirelessly in the car and connecting it via Bluetooth to sync your address book, hands-free calling, and SMS readouts and replies. Your phone is your hub and has been in cars for the last ten years. Why not get rid of the fob? You don't have to drive a Tesla. Go back to BMW or other luxury brands that still give you a fob for free.

Holy hell are they building a mobile phone into the keyfob? Is that a keyfob in your pocket or are you happy to see me? It's the 7-series fob, it's free btw. I forget about the kind of people that like putting their keyfobs on the table when at restaurants or sitting to let others know what they drive.

View attachment 830101

Wow... that thing is crazy. I would talk into it... "Make it so numba one".

I don't think Tesla did this to save buckets of money as much as they determine that no one uses them. Our 2018 Model X came with a Fob and is required. With the 3 and Y using phone as a key and the new S/X offering the same feature, the Fob is no longer required to operate the vehicle.
As far as the mobile connecter, I don't remember the last time I used it. With home charging and all the super chargers coming out Tesla determined they are not being used. I recently purchased the CCS adapter for our MY and I feel that provides better options than the mobile connector. Sure the J1772 connector should still be an option. We recently found out that Volta is offering free DC charging at most malls. Again, this is where having the CCS adapter makes the better option over a mobile connector.

There are a zillion post on FB and here where people have purchased some type of after market floor mats well before receiving the car. I would bet you're right, floor mats are next to be removed.
If you charge at home then the mobile connector is even more important..... Install a simple dryer outlet and you've got your charging solution included.

For me, I'm happy to have one less item in my pocket. That used to be a key / fob combination device with my previous vehicle. I suppose some people don't want to use their phone to unlock the car (not sure why though). To each his own.

As to the original question asked in the thread title... "First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??", I suppose the answer is @kizamybute'. He's next to leave, since Tesla's offering has become so bad.

This is a poor conclusion. You are confusing "tech savvy" for "tech dependent", or "tech FOMO". A lot of this is the latter. I mean, can you imagine someone NOT using a phone to do anything? Who would want to be that guy?
You’re missing the point. You are already using your phone for many other reasons in your car, if not, then you must only listen to FM or still use a flip phone, and have no friends who you communicate with. You own a tesla and don’t want to be that guy who revolves around technology. A lot of cars get you from point A to point B and can satisfy your simple purists life free of phones.

Btw the MB EQS key fob is $850 for replacement. Tesla is a bargain.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've already jumped off the train and am now checking to see if the grass is greener on the other side. I won't say it's greener, but it's certainly not brown.

For those that want the same type of company experience, LUCID is offering a very nice alternative right now. More luxurious. More functional frunk. Better range. More power. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was never impressed with it in photos, but saw and drove one and the Lucid definitely looks much better in person than in photos.

The Mercedes EQS isn't the greatest looking car on the outside. The new SUV however, appears to look much better proportioned. But, I was never in love with the looks of a Tesla. I bought several of them for what they were, not because of how it looked. The EQS blows Tesla out of the water in terms of interior quality and actual luxury. Not even in the same category. Beautiful, luxurious interior. And, it too has more range than a Tesla.

The Cadillac due out very soon seems like a no brainer when comparing to a Model 3 or Model Y. Certainly FAR more luxurious. Now, cheaper in price. Competitive range. Supercruise in some respects is superior to Tesla's autopilot, at least on the freeways.

Personally, I was ready for a Truck. I bought both, the F-150 Lightning and the Rivian. The Ford was a great work truck and if I truly needed a functional work truck, absolutely hands down is the better of the two options. The Rivian is more of an adventure vehicle, intended for a different user.

The Ford is more driver friendly in terms of function as it has usable buttons to go along with extensive tech. The Rivian, like Lucid, puts you back in a Tesla like company. Both feel very familiar for those coming from a Tesla. The rest require the dealer experience. Which I don't miss. But, for the most part, it's just one time, so once you get past the purchase phase, it doesn't have much of an impact other than, there are usually a million of them close by.

Tesla, certainly still blows everyone out of the water with its charging network. So, if you're one that travels over 300 miles on a very regular basis, it will make a difference. For those like me, where such trips are limited to 1-3 times per year. the Public Charging networks available do get the job done. The rest of the time, I plug it in at home every night and don't notice any difference from the Tesla.

I like the party tricks the Tesla offers. But have realized since, now that I don't have them, I don't really miss them either. I didn't buy my car to watch movies or play video games. Never used those features. The FSD was cool to experience, but it's so far from being ready for regular use that I hardly ever used it if anyone was behind me, out of respect for my fellow motorists. Living in L.A., there's not many times where someone isn't close by, thus hardly got to use it. Did use it regularly on the freeway for simple lane keeping, which most cars today offer something similar.

So yes, the Tesla offers more, but most of it's "more" are things that aren't really necessary with a good number of them simply being cool party tricks to show off to your friends.

As noted, I purchased the Rivian and Ford F-150 Lightning. Had an extended test day with the Lucid (all three have key fobs and portable chargers by the way, included in the sale).

All three have far superior FRUNKS that are automatic and large enough to actually use. Versus the Tesla's delicate hood that you have to be so careful to close with two hands in the right spot to avoid bending it.

I do miss the GPS based homelink. Assuming that can be added on the others via software updates.

Only on the very rare occasions when I do a long distance trip, do I miss the supercharger network. But, the other options do get the job done and accomplish the same thing.

The rest of what the Tesla offers, which is quite a bit, but are things I have found that I really don't miss and didn't need. I will miss the "summon" feature as it did come in handy on occasion. But haven't yet.

The Audi, Porsche, Jaguar aren't up to par yet with ranges under 250 miles. But, they're coming too. As are many others. Point being. Even with the limited options available today, I've learned that I CAN LIVE WITHOUT A TESLA after having been in several of them for 9 years. Others are offering enough now to make them viable competitors. I also now have cooled seats. Could have massaging seats. Along with many other features that the competitors offer and Tesla doesn't.

For now, Tesla still has more orders than what they can produce. So they couldn't car less. But, eventually, things will catch up. By then, there will also be at least another 10 alternatives that hit the market. Tesla WILL have to come back down to earth and be competitive.

I really wanted a truck and I feel right at home with the Rivian. A similar experience. Its a truck that could have had Tesla's name on it as they did a very good job with it. The interior is far nicer than a Tesla though. Aside from the key fob and charger issue, Tesla drove me away with the direction they chose on the Model S. I had a new one for a couple of weeks to try and adapt to. Absolutely not for me. I work out of my car. Am in and out of it 10 times a day. Lots of 3-point turns. L.A. traffic, where horns are needed to prevent you from getting hit. I hated the Model 3 I had and kept for only 2 months. The Model S doubled down on all the reasons I hated the Model 3. Tesla still builds a great car, but their direction unfortunately, just doesn't work for my needs anymore. I use the hell out of the top of my steering wheel on a daily basis. Hated "looking" over to the center screen to simply shift from D to R and back to D again, Was previously a no thought instinctive action I could do by feel without having to distract myself to the screen. Constantly was turning on blinkers by accident. I really miss having the vertical screen in the pre-refresh Model S. Was so easy to see and reach everything. These big horizontal screens put things too far from the driver when on the far right of the screen. One of the reasons the Ford was attractive. Lucid, Mercedes and Cadillac all have tons of screen space and in closer reach to the driver.

As much as I love the Tesla and all the great things about it, there's now just too much for me to sacrifice in my personal use needs. I realize I'm sacrificing very little with the Rivian (of the features I actually use) and benefit from the things it offers (that Tesla didn't) far more on a daily basis to offset the 1-3 times I don't get to use superchargers. I appreciate that Rivian takes my calls to answer simple questions. I find I really benefit from having 110 outlets. I use the frunk like a regular trunk (never used Tesla's frunk). The air suspension is incredible. Rides nothing like a "truck".

If I wanted a car, I came very close to purchasing the Lucid and Mercedes. Loved what both had to offer. But ultimately, wanted the truck instead. If I were in the market for a small SUV, for $63,000, I would absolutely 1,000% choose the Cadillac over the Model Y. I love the luxury it offers. Has true hands-free driver assist on freeways. It's a love it or hate it style. Personally, I love its looks. As noted, I bought Tesla's because of what they were, not because of their "luxury", which was very little nor for their looks. Was never in love with the look of the Model S. For my personal tastes, simply did not like the looks of the Model 3 or Y or even the X. Especially the front ends of the 3 & Y.

For my use needs, the alternatives all satisfy them and they all return phone calls and they all have great attitudes towards their customers. Tesla's customer service has become atrocious over the past 5 to 6 years. They were INCREDIBLE at the start. But now, have the attitude of "don't like it, tough". I'm one that never kept cars more than 3 years. Was always ready for something fresh and new within that time frame. The fact that Tesla kept me in basically the same looking cars for 9 years is saying something.

But, now that the alternatives available are actually viable alternatives, thus far, I have zero regrets for having switched over to other side. Actually enjoying having something different and new. Great thing is, I can always go back to a Tesla if I choose to. But, with the directions they've gone, primarily with the interior and minimalism, and what's now available as alternatives for much more reasonable pricing, I don't see it happing anytime soon unless they do a complete 180 on several things.

I loved my years in the Tesla, am very appreciative that Elon Musk almost single-handedly created this category and will never regret that ride. I am also very thankful for now having a choice of competitive offerings that allow me to finally chose a vehicle that I am actually excited about how it looks and has driver friendly functions that suit my needs. Tesla will still be the first choice for many, and rightfully so. But, there are now alternatives available that equally allow families to choose an EV as their only vehicle.

2F6D442E-3C44-4351-9683-BE5FB2DA53B1.jpeg

No but I agree, Tesla may not be as ahead of the game as they and their hardcore fan base think. And if they open up superchargers to other automakers the margin narrows even further.
Don’t have any experience with Lucid but it appears to be a great car.
EQS is a fine vehicle as well, had a chance to experience one and it’s fantastic! If it gets access to the supercharger network, it’s a model s rival.

These arguments are getting just silly. I completely fail to comprehend how some of you are so argumentative against somebody feeling they need/want a fob, and are so distraught with the idea that they think it should be included on a $120,000 car. It is simply childish. If you don't think YOU want one, and think the phone is enough for YOU, that is wonderful. I am very happy for you. This incessant attacks on people who feel differently is ludicrous, and is a perfect example of how fanboy stereotypes get nurtured. Just because people have a different opinion does not make them a troll.

A point of clarification: The Tesla app needs to be running in the background for the key to work well. If you quit the app (on iOS by swiping up), you are likely to have some difficulty. In fact, if you do quit the app, you will get a pop-up notification that says "Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience."

Personally, with my new MS, I continued to use my fob out of habit. Then, one day, I didn't use it, and to my pleasure, my phone key worked very well. Perfectly well, no. Let's be honest: the phone key, while it works well, is simply not as accurate and reliable as a fob. If you deny this, then you are just being obstinate and you know it. Yes, it works great most of the time. The 10-20% of the time it does not work, can either be minimally inconvenient and insignificant, or very problematic. For me, this always seem to happens when I am in a hurry, and perhaps carrying a bunch of stuff. I have to put the stuff on the roof of the car, get my phone out of my jacket pocket, only to find that the app was not running in the background, re-launch it, and then open the door. Yeah, first-world problems, but frustrating nonetheless. I could imagine a situation where you feel a possible danger nearby. Yes, this could be akin to having to fumble for your car keys, but we are past that in most vehicles now, aren't we?

Wow why didn’t you say you were giving $250k for your car, I’d be expecting a key fob too, i got 2 MX’s for that price and you only want a fob, I feel like the greedy one now.
OK smart guy, $250,000 was for the mandatory deposit required to pre-order the Roadster. Had to be paid in full to lock in the Signature Series version that was due in two years. That was 5 years ago. 3 years later, not even a hint that it's coming any time soon.

One other question for those that only use their phones.....what happens when your phone battery dies? So I guess that means, not only do you have to carry your bulky phone, you also need to carry the larger diameter key card too, just in case. Now, carrying two things instead of just one tiny object that weighs nothing. If I were to buy a Tesla again, I'd have no choice but to pay the $175 for something that had been included previously on all of my prior Model S cars. Fortunately, Tesla made enough other changes prior to this for the refresh Model S that I won't have to think about it anyway. Every other new EV I've purchased since and am considering purchasing in the near future, all come with key fobs as standard. So, won't have to worry about that either.

Reactions: Ormond
OK smart guy, $250,000 was for the mandatory deposit required to pre-order the Roadster. Had to be paid in full to lock in the Signature Series version that was due in two years. That was 5 years ago. 3 years later, not even a hint that it's coming any time soon.

One other question for those that only use their phones.....what happens when your phone battery dies? So I guess that means, not only do you have to carry your bulky phone, you also need to carry the larger diameter key card too, just in case. Now, carrying two things instead of just one tiny object that weighs nothing. If I were to buy a Tesla again, I'd have no choice but to pay the $175 for something that had been included previously on all of my prior Model S cars. Fortunately, Tesla made enough other changes prior to this for the refresh Model S that I won't have to think about it anyway. Every other new EV I've purchased since and am considering purchasing in the near future, all come with key fobs as standard. So, won't have to worry about that either.
Change is hard.

Ok, an easy solution. Tesla should increase the price of the Model S Plaid to $170K and include the $150 FOB to compete with Lucid. Clearly, Lucid's inclusion of the FOB is what makes it the only reason to buy a Lucid today. I'm sure Tesla's sales would skyrocket by charging an extra $30K for a FOB. Think of how exclusive that would be!

I would carry the key card, credit card size, in my wallet even if I had the key fob. Key fobs do run out of batteries too and you can easily misplace it. Having a backup on me at all times is better than not having one. Oh wait, my Porsche has a pullout key inside the key fob and tesla and other EVs don’t as there is no physical key hole. You are worried about your phone running out of batteries more than losing your fob or its batteries? You have a rolling 4000lb charger with wireless charging and USB ports. You can walk into any establishment and borrow someone’s charger for 5 minutes. I’m not being a fanboi as I rely on my keyless entry in my 911 with a fob, but all these presented arguments are ridiculous. You lose your fob without a backup you’re calling roadside service. The likelihood of losing your fob and your phone together is less likely.

So they are still giving you a key just its the credit card one not the fob. Is it difficult to use the card or something? Like does the walk up present handles thing not work or the walk away door locks not work? Can you just not keep it in your wallet and drive the car just like you do with the fob?

These arguments are getting just silly. I completely fail to comprehend how some of you are so argumentative against somebody feeling they need/want a fob, and are so distraught with the idea that they think it should be included on a $120,000 car. It is simply childish. If you don't think YOU want one, and think the phone is enough for YOU, that is wonderful. I am very happy for you. This incessant attacks on people who feel differently is ludicrous, and is a perfect example of how fanboy stereotypes get nurtured. Just because people have a different opinion does not make them a troll.

A point of clarification: The Tesla app needs to be running in the background for the key to work well. If you quit the app (on iOS by swiping up), you are likely to have some difficulty. In fact, if you do quit the app, you will get a pop-up notification that says "Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience."

Personally, with my new MS, I continued to use my fob out of habit. Then, one day, I didn't use it, and to my pleasure, my phone key worked very well. Perfectly well, no. Let's be honest: the phone key, while it works well, is simply not as accurate and reliable as a fob. If you deny this, then you are just being obstinate and you know it. Yes, it works great most of the time. The 10-20% of the time it does not work, can either be minimally inconvenient and insignificant, or very problematic. For me, this always seem to happens when I am in a hurry, and perhaps carrying a bunch of stuff. I have to put the stuff on the roof of the car, get my phone out of my jacket pocket, only to find that the app was not running in the background, re-launch it, and then open the door. Yeah, first-world problems, but frustrating nonetheless. I could imagine a situation where you feel a possible danger nearby. Yes, this could be akin to having to fumble for your car keys, but we are past that in most vehicles now, aren't we?
You are no different sir, trying to convince others why a key fob is essential. Don’t you need your hands to open the door anyways if you’re carrying stuff? A fob does not open the door for you and it simply unlocks. You still need to put your stuff on the roof to pull the door handle. Maybe your argument should be used for the trunk and ask that tesla provide that foot gesture thingee. I feel that many arguments for the fob is habitual and they are hard to break. We would be living in the Stone Age if humans never break their habits to progress.

Does the Mach e, lucid, Rivian, EQS, and others have a key hole? What’s your backup to losing your fob and not having a key card or physical key? I guess people prefer calling roadside assistance than having to carry a concealable credit card sized backup. Some say it’s large and you have to carry two things. You don’t carry a wallet?