Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they are still giving you a key just its the credit card one not the fob. Is it difficult to use the card or something? Like does the walk up present handles thing not work or the walk away door locks not work? Can you just not keep it in your wallet and drive the car just like you do with the fob?
So does Rivian and others. There are no longer physical keyholes. All cars need a backup key. If not you need your phone to call the emergency line to remote unlock your car. Again, the phone is part of the ecosystem whether you like it or not. You already use it for Bluetooth hands free in the car.

Its meant as backup and only has a RFID chip that you have to physically tap near a sensor. All EVs do not have physical keys. The credit card is powerless like a metal key and is only for backup.

I guess for me it's hard to understand how you could spend $250,000 on a car, but then be upset that it costs an extra $175 for the optional key fob. I suppose we're beating a dead horse.
This argument has never in the past, and will never in the future, carry any weight. "You spent a lot of money on a car, so you should have money to spend on x, y, or z". First, it is called "value." You want to get something of value to you when you pay a lot of money for it. Imagine buying a Bugatti for $1,000,000, but it didn't come with tires. Well geez, you could afford a Bugatti, you should have no problem paying more for tires. Second, it is called a "budget". Just because you spend a lot on one thing does not mean you have money to spend on another.

If you don’t have a fob, what do you hand to the valet? A key card?
That is what I do. I have a keycard with a keycard holder I bought on Amazon, that I leave hidden in the car. Again, I only wish I could assign it to the Valet profile. I cannot leave the fob in the car, because that would leave it unlocked.

I also carry a spare key card in my wallet, in case my phone dies, especially if I am deep in a garage with no signal and can't ask someone to open the car for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond
OK smart guy, $250,000 was for the mandatory deposit required to pre-order the Roadster. Had to be paid in full to lock in the Signature Series version that was due in two years. That was 5 years ago. 3 years later, not even a hint that it's coming any time soon.

One other question for those that only use their phones.....what happens when your phone battery dies? So I guess that means, not only do you have to carry your bulky phone, you also need to carry the larger diameter key card too, just in case. Now, carrying two things instead of just one tiny object that weighs nothing. If I were to buy a Tesla again, I'd have no choice but to pay the $175 for something that had been included previously on all of my prior Model S cars. Fortunately, Tesla made enough other changes prior to this for the refresh Model S that I won't have to think about it anyway. Every other new EV I've purchased since and am considering purchasing in the near future, all come with key fobs as standard. So, won't have to worry about that either.
I thought you left

You’re missing the point. You are already using your phone for many other reasons in your car, if not, then you must only listen to FM or still use a flip phone, and have no friends who you communicate with. You own a tesla and don’t want to be that guy who revolves around technology. A lot of cars get you from point A to point B and can satisfy your simple purists life free of phones.

Btw the MB EQS key fob is $850 for replacement. Tesla is a bargain.
Nah, not at all. I perhaps have a different philosophy when it comes to tech, tools, and convenience. To me, tech is a tool, not a way of life. I don't live my life on my phone, nor broadcast it either. So, no Tik Tak, Insta, Twit, Snap, or Face for me. The correlation to "friends" is not real. I use my phone to call or text, which ever is the most efficient. My phone is my tool that connects to the car via bluetooth for calls only. The car provides any streaming podcast, streaming radio or choice of music, navigation and local search. For mission critical things like getting into the car, I prefer the best chance of access--a key (which is obsolete), or a fob. Apps and bluetooth fail. Just search the threads. The fob usually fails with warning, replace the battery (they come in packs of 6). When the app or BT fails, you are standing there looking at your phone. Now what? I get that Tesla, BMW, MB et. al. have made the business decision to move away from fobs to save $$ and to enhance the brand, but overengineering is not necessarily better. Given the free or inexpensive choice, I take the reliable fob.

Nah, not at all. I perhaps have a different philosophy when it comes to tech, tools, and convenience. To me, tech is a tool, not a way of life. I don't live my life on my phone, nor broadcast it either. So, no Tik Tak, Insta, Twit, Snap, or Face for me. The correlation to "friends" is not real. I use my phone to call or text, which ever is the most efficient. My phone is my tool that connects to the car via bluetooth for calls only. The car provides any streaming podcast, streaming radio or choice of music, navigation and local search. For mission critical things like getting into the car, I prefer the best chance of access--a key (which is obsolete), or a fob. Apps and bluetooth fail. Just search the threads. The fob usually fails with warning, replace the battery (they come in packs of 6). When the app or BT fails, you are standing there looking at your phone. Now what? I get that Tesla, BMW, MB et. al. have made the business decision to move away from fobs to save $$ and to enhance the brand, but overengineering is not necessarily better. Given the free or inexpensive choice, I take the reliable fob.
Well fobs will be obsolete like keys are. Like headphone jacks, many complain or think they add value by leaving it but all follow. Tesla lead the change to EV and look at where others are.

You carry the key card in your wallet as your backup when BT or the app fails.

I use a fob on my 911 and I wished my phone could unlock either.

I don’t use TikTok or any of that garbage but I have work apps and comms where I need my phone.

You are no different sir, trying to convince others why a key fob is essential.
Nope. You may want to spend a little more time listening. I specifically said that those who love the phone key, should be happy, and good for them. I have not used my fob in months. Others like the fob and should not be told by people like you that they should, basically, "get with the times". I just had someone in my office a few minutes ago who does not own a cell phone. He did that intentionally to de-stress his life. Do you want to tell him he is wrong? The fob may not be essential, but obviously many (not all) people like it and want one, and feel that for the cost of this car, one should be included. That is a reasonable argument. Telling people who want one that they should not want one is disrespectful. Your opinion is not better than theirs. It is just a different opinion.

Well fobs will be obsolete like keys are. Like headphone jacks, many complain or think they add value by leaving it but all follow. Tesla lead the change to EV and look at where others are.

You carry the key card in your wallet as your backup when BT or the app fails.

I use a fob on my 911 and I wished my phone could unlock either.

I don’t use TikTok or any of that garbage but I have work apps and comms where I need my phone.
You are likely correct and these are all reasonable statements.

I know the Tesla fanboi's will never agree with anything I say because that would be the equivalent of agreeing with Trump or something. But how about this, for my $125,000+ car, Tesla asks the customer......"do you have a need for the Key fob or mobile charger?". If not, they can save the money. If they do, for $375, make the customer happy when they're buying a $125,000+ car and give them to them. Or at least make them optional when ordering the car. Simple customer service to keep customers happy. Most manufacturers offer a gazillion ways to make high-end cars your own with many options to choose from. In this category at this price point, it shouldn't be about saving a buck or two. Should be about keeping the customer happy and giving them what they want. They're paying for it. Regardless of all that argue the phone is better, simply fact is still that more people prefer the key fob. Tesla's customer service has declined horribly over the past several years. Just one of the many reason's I've moved on. But, Tesla instead choose to force you to take it or leave it. They offer basically zero options on a $125,000 car. My 2015 was great, got to configure it the way I wanted and I loved it. They had options then. Had Tesla not reduced the price of the 2019 by $20,000 and basically begged me to buy a car at that time when they couldn't find buyers for the S or X, I would have passed on upgrading back then. Fortunately for them, I hated the Model 3 I had at the time. I was disappointed at having to sacrifice my color choices for the interior and lack of a sunroof, but for $20,000 less, was still a better car than my 2015 and night and day better than the Model 3 that I regretfully decided to give a try to for all of two months. So, timing worked out. Unfortunately, with the "take it or leave it" attitude they have, combined with the direction they went on the refresh Model S/X, I chose the "leave it" option. If they still had options for a full steering wheel, normal shifter and blinker controls, a normal horn button, a glove box button, I might have sacrificed not being a fan of the horizontal screen to the prior vertical screen that was so easy to see and use and chosen to go another round with Tesla. But, where I previously had those choices, I no longer do and as a result, after having owned six model S cars over a 9 year period, I no longer own a Tesla. Aside from my GPS based homelink feature, I really don't miss it. There are options now, good ones. There didn't used to be. Now there are. Tesla is going to be in for an awakening when we get through the shortage issues and every catches up. There are many more coming as well. I hope they do adjust and thrive. Time will tell. They certainly won't if they don't make some changes in the relatively near future.

Should be about keeping the customer happy and giving them what they want. They're paying for it.

But isn't that the argument you're making? That you want them to give it to you for free?

It's not included. Just buy one. If you're buying $250k and $120k cars, your income is high enough that you've likely "spent" more than $175 (in time and labor) griping on this forum. You've spent 3 fobs worth of energy complaining about not getting a free fob.

I suggest that all of us who have replied to this thread donate $10 each to buying you a fob. Then you can be whole again.

I know the Tesla fanboi's will never agree with anything I say because that would be the equivalent of agreeing with Trump or something. But how about this, for my $125,000+ car, Tesla asks the customer......"do you have a need for the Key fob or mobile charger?". If not, they can save the money. If they do, for $375, make the customer happy when they're buying a $125,000+ car and give them to them. Or at least make them optional when ordering the car. Simple customer service to keep customers happy. Most manufacturers offer a gazillion ways to make high-end cars your own with many options to choose from. In this category at this price point, it shouldn't be about saving a buck or two. Should be about keeping the customer happy and giving them what they want. They're paying for it. Regardless of all that argue the phone is better, simply fact is still that more people prefer the key fob. Tesla's customer service has declined horribly over the past several years. Just one of the many reason's I've moved on. But, Tesla instead choose to force you to take it or leave it. They offer basically zero options on a $125,000 car. My 2015 was great, got to configure it the way I wanted and I loved it. They had options then. Had Tesla not reduced the price of the 2019 by $20,000 and basically begged me to buy a car at that time when they couldn't find buyers for the S or X, I would have passed on upgrading back then. Fortunately for them, I hated the Model 3 I had at the time. I was disappointed at having to sacrifice my color choices for the interior and lack of a sunroof, but for $20,000 less, was still a better car than my 2015 and night and day better than the Model 3 that I regretfully decided to give a try to for all of two months. So, timing worked out. Unfortunately, with the "take it or leave it" attitude they have, combined with the direction they went on the refresh Model S/X, I chose the "leave it" option. If they still had options for a full steering wheel, normal shifter and blinker controls, a normal horn button, a glove box button, I might have sacrificed not being a fan of the horizontal screen to the prior vertical screen that was so easy to see and use and chosen to go another round with Tesla. But, where I previously had those choices, I no longer do and as a result, after having owned six model S cars over a 9 year period, I no longer own a Tesla. Aside from my GPS based homelink feature, I really don't miss it. There are options now, good ones. There didn't used to be. Now there are. Tesla is going to be in for an awakening when we get through the shortage issues and every catches up. There are many more coming as well. I hope they do adjust and thrive. Time will tell. They certainly won't if they don't make some changes in the relatively near future.
So you moved on from Tesla and still here obsessing about Tesla. What did you move on to and hope you are happy with it. I own a Porsche and love hate the plethora of options and how options alone can cost more than your average car. Too many options hurts the bottom line because you are slowing down production for individualization. For made to order cars like Porsche, some Mercs and BMW, it makes sense as they are low volume. High volume cars need to be limited in personalization to maximize throughput and margins.

Everything you are saying is subjective and Tesla is a data company. They know exactly how many of their customers use seat bolsters, fob, and just about every function of the car. They use that objective data to make business decisions. They will lose the loyalty of some customers like yourself but that’s why we have options right? You can’t make everyone happy. Do you think the demand and backlog orders will go down because of key fobs? If they theink it would, they would not have made that decision.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
In my opinion...

It is Tesla's prerogative to no longer include keyfobs, the mobile connector, and whatever else they want, with vehicles. But they should not unilaterally get rid of them for people who ordered the car before the date they decided to discontinue their inclusion. I would have no issue paying $175 for a key fob if I knew it wasn't included when I ordered the car - but that wasn't the case.

They did this properly with the mobile connector. There was a cutoff date and anyone who ordered prior would continue to receive it at delivery. This would have been the right thing to do with the fobs as well.

Personally, I cannot stand the phone key. It is simply not as reliable as the physical key and has nothing to do with how techy I am. I can't pop the frunk from outside easily, and Summon-via-fob is far more consistent than the app, especially in parking garages without reliable signal. It was the same story with my Model 3 and I did buy a key for that car - was absolutely delighted when they eventually released the passive entry key fob. I don't have the space to jam another card into my cardholder and do not want to/should not have to remember to bring it with me if will be valeting the car or loaning someone else the car that day.

But hey, if someone wants to donate one of their fobs that they don't use... :p

So you moved on from Tesla and still here obsessing about Tesla. What did you move on to and hope you are happy with it. I own a Porsche and love hate the plethora of options and how options alone can cost more than your average car. Too many options hurts the bottom line because you are slowing down production for individualization. For made to order cars like Porsche, some Mercs and BMW, it makes sense as they are low volume. High volume cars need to be limited in personalization to maximize throughput and margins.

Everything you are saying is subjective and Tesla is a data company. They know exactly how many of their customers use seat bolsters, fob, and just about every function of the car. They use that objective data to make business decisions. They will lose the loyalty of some customers like yourself but that’s why we have options right? You can’t make everyone happy. Do you think the demand and backlog orders will go down because of key fobs? If they theink it would, they would not have made that decision.
Rivian didn't think anyone would mind when they raised their prices by 20%. Until more than 50% of their customers immediately cancelled their orders and they reversed course two days later. It's not about one little thing, rather a combination of things that start to add up. Tesla has the luxury of the market we are in today. 2019 was quite different as I noted. 2023, 2024 or 2025??? It will be different again. That's when all these little decisions will reveal themselves. It actually already has, but because demand currently still outweighs supply, they don't care that customers like myself and many others have already abandoned ship. The time will come. The difference this time is, they're no longer the only game in town.

In my opinion...

It is Tesla's prerogative to no longer include keyfobs, the mobile connector, and whatever else they want, with vehicles. But they should not unilaterally get rid of them for people who ordered the car before the date they decided to discontinue their inclusion. I would have no issue paying $175 for a key fob if I knew it wasn't included when I ordered the car - but that wasn't the case.

They did this properly with the mobile connector. There was a cutoff date and anyone who ordered prior would continue to receive it at delivery. This would have been the right thing to do with the fobs as well.

Personally, I cannot stand the phone key. It is simply not as reliable as the physical key and has nothing to do with how techy I am. I can't pop the frunk from outside easily, and Summon-via-fob is far more consistent than the app, especially in parking garages without reliable signal. It was the same story with my Model 3 and I did buy a key for that car - was absolutely delighted when they eventually released the passive entry key fob. I don't have the space to jam another card into my cardholder and do not want to/should not have to remember to bring it with me if will be valeting the car or loaning someone else the car that day.

But hey, if someone wants to donate one of their fobs that they don't use... :p
Finally someone with a good use case. I didn't think about summoning the car when connectivity is poor when you have to move out of a tight space. I didn't even know this was a feature, but I never needed to do it. I personally don't need it at home and would never park in tight spaces in public places :) But that is good to know. I have only used my keyfob once in almost one year of ownership.

Rivian didn't think anyone would mind when they raised their prices by 20%. Until more than 50% of their customers immediately cancelled their orders and they reversed course two days later. It's not about one little thing, rather a combination of things that start to add up. Tesla has the luxury of the market we are in today. 2019 was quite different as I noted. 2023, 2024 or 2025??? It will be different again. That's when all these little decisions will reveal themselves. It actually already has, but because demand currently still outweighs supply, they don't care that customers like myself and many others have already abandoned ship. The time will come. The difference this time is, they're no longer the only game in town.
There's a difference between 20% price increase and a keyfob. What else did they eliminate between each generation that is of material impact on the car's appeal? Yoke? Vent controls?

You still didn't tell us what you switched to from having owned 6 previous Model S'.

Finally someone with a good use case. I didn't think about summoning the car when connectivity is poor when you have to move out of a tight space. I didn't even know this was a feature, but I never needed to do it. I personally don't need it at home and would never park in tight spaces in public places :) But that is good to know. I have only used my keyfob once in almost one year of ownership.

I actually used that feature quite a bit. It likely will at some point be one of the other features I do miss from the Tesla. Hadn't thought of it until now. But, I'm sure the time will come. I certainly never parked in tight spaces. But, had many occasions where people pulled in after me and park right on top of you. Very handy feature to have. For some that simply got to and from work, maybe not so much, But again, for those that make many stops throughout each day, that's when these things become more noticeable on a regular basis.

If, big if, the Tesla Roadster ever gets produced, that's the type of car I would drive only on occasion and not be using it for work, in and out of it 10+ times a day. In that case, the phone key probably wouldn't bother me as I wouldn't have to deal with it very often. The Cybertruck, I imagine will be the opposite for many. Especially for any that are buying the truck to be a work truck.

I have multiple company Tesla's still. I don't drive them, but still technically own them. If they didn't have key fobs, likely wouldn't have purchased them for their use purpose. Multiple drivers. We use the fobs simply to identify which car we're going to. Can't do that with a key card. And am not giving all employees access to the Tesla account to use the phone key.

Different people, different uses, different needs. Everyone will find their own way that works best for them.

There's a difference between 20% price increase and a keyfob. What else did they eliminate between each generation that is of material impact on the car's appeal? Yoke? Vent controls?

You still didn't tell us what you switched to from having owned 6 previous Model S'.
I know, that was an extreme example. My list could go on. As noted, customer service was part of it. With the new Model S, all the things I noted above. I hated the Model 3 by comparison to my 2019 S. Tesla doubled down, and then some with the Model S refresh. Completely the opposite direction of my preferences. Much of it subjective, yes. But, never in my history of living have I seen so many discussions from people complaining (not me) about things that we never had given a thought to......Steering wheels, blinkers, shifter controls, key fobs, etc. All stuff I don't want to have to give a second thought to. Tesla is good at "fixing" stuff that doesn't need to be fixed, simply for the sake of being different. Different isn't always better. Especially if the first iteration wasn't broken.

I currently have the Rivian and Mercedes EQS. Very satisfied with both thus far. Both very new to me though (less than 60 days for each). Time will tell how they age. Having come from actual Luxury cars prior to switching to Tesla, I had forgotten how nice some of that stuff can be. Cooled seats are AMAZING. Massage seats, oh so nice! The little things!

I currently have the Rivian and Mercedes EQS. Very satisfied with both thus far. Both very new to me though (less than 60 days for each). Time will tell how they age. Having come from actual Luxury cars prior to switching to Tesla, I had forgotten how nice some of that stuff can be. Cooled seats are AMAZING. Massage seats, oh so nice! The little things!
Enjoy those vehicles and their respective keyfobs :) Rivian took Tesla's playbook and offers a phone app, backup key card, and fob. EQS still has a physical key in its keyfob and does not have an RFID-based key card. They are leveraging the MB parts bin and reusing fobs from the rest of their lineup. Don't lose it as it costs $850, not because it's special, but because the FOB and its metal key inside have to be programmed and registered to your car. You're paying for labor for encoding the key to your vehicle.