Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A LOT of people use the charger the car came with. Not everyone has a charger hardwired in. I personally did for my first Tesla and still have it. Used it primarily for all my cars since. Got an adapter and am using it still for the Rivian and Mercedes.

But, while I personally didn't use the mobile charger at home very often, there were times were I did need it. Had construction going on where I couldn't park in the garage. Used the mobile charger to plug into the dryer outlet. Have used it multiple times when on the road staying with friends. And even had one time where the superchargers were down and no chance of making it the next charger. Had I not had the mobile charger, I would have been stranded. Many times, go to hotels that don't have chargers, but they have 14-50 outlets and will plug in the car for me, or allow me to do it, WITH MY CHARGER.

Again, a lot people use it as their primary charging source. But, more importantly is for the scenarios that you don't expect. Without it, you're SOL if you're on the road and no charger in sight.

Key fob issue is one thing. But, it is more convenience than necessary. The wall charger can and is often necessary. Sad thing is, many won't even think of it until the time comes that they need it and realize they're screwed because they don't have one in the car.

Reactions: Prairie
The wall charger can and is often necessary.
In nearly 6 years and 150,000 miles of Tesla driving all over the western US, I’ve never encountered an issue where a UMC on hand would have gotten me out of a tight spot.

Have I taken it with me on some trips for opportunistic charging? Sure, here and there. Has it ever been NECESSARY? No. “Often necessary” is ridiculous hyperbole in 2022.
Sad thing is, many won't even think of it until the time comes that they need it and realize they're screwed because they don't have one in the car.
I used to carry around an extra gallon of gasoline with me everywhere I went too. You know, just in case.

Good news is, for the tiny fraction of people that think they need an EVSE with them at all times in 2022, they can still buy one for the bargain basement price of $200.

In nearly 6 years and 150,000 miles of Tesla driving all over the western US, I’ve never encountered an issue where a UMC on hand would have gotten me out of a tight spot.

Have I taken it with me on some trips for opportunistic charging? Sure, here and there. Has it ever been NECESSARY? No. “Often necessary” is ridiculous hyperbole in 2022.

I used to carry around an extra gallon of gasoline with me everywhere I went too. You know, just in case.

Good news is, for the tiny fraction of people that think they need an EVSE with them at all times in 2022, they can still buy one for the bargain basement price of $200.
Different uses, different needs. Naturally, with gas stations all over the place, rarely need extra gas. But can't say having that extra gallon could never come in handy. With EV's. Options are far more limited. For most, you can plan ahead and use Superchargers. But, depending on where you go, will determine if you might need the mobile charger more often. Just because some don't need it, doesn't mean that it's not necessary in a pinch for others. To say it's a ridiculous hyperbole is limited to your personal opinion. Where I go and my use needs, it was necessary far more often. I know I'm not the only one who owned a Tesla that has found a need for the mobile charger. Plus, for me personally, when arriving at my location, I certainly have no desire to go out of my way to wherever the supercharger is located, then sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to charge when I can simply take my mobile charger and plug it in at my destination. FAR, FAR, FAR more convenient, even if that's not a case where it's "necessary", sure as heck is appreciated in not wasting an extra hour of my time to drive to the charger, wait for the charge, then drive to my final destination. How you can think it's ridiculous that nobody would ever run short on range and not be close to a Tesla supercharger or public charging network is more ridiculous. Not recognizing the potential benefits and convenience is just being stubborn and ignorant to join those that defend Tesla in whatever they do, even when they're wrong. You probably were on board with them deciding to limit Performance owners to a certain number of "launches" with the cars they owned. Or removing features and charging for them again. One of the big reasons EV's still make up less than 5% of the cars on the road is simple convenience. Most people, 95%, don't want to spend the extra time it takes to charge, nor find a charger. Certainly, many are still concerned with range anxiety. Taking away that convenience does nothing to convince those staying away from EV's to make the switch.

I leave my windows down half the time too, should we just leave them out as well, since I don't always need them? I rarely ever "need" 300 miles in range. We saw how well EV's sold when all they offered was 75-90 miles in range. Everyone has their own use cases. I know, this is a Tesla site where people get offended with anything, not 100% positive, is said. I live in reality. My actions spoke louder than words in the fact that I owned several Tesla's for 9 years. Sure as heck doesn't mean they were perfect. They are great cars no doubt. Doesn't mean they can't be better. Those that do live in reality and view things for what they are will decide what works for them. As of today, 95% of those are choosing other options. The 5% will only carry the EV movement so far. Reality and improvement is what will help to continue to move the needle forward. Not just arguing that it's great, it's great, it's great, because it just is, it's just great......when it's really not that great for many people's use needs.

Different uses, different needs. Naturally, with gas stations all over the place, rarely need extra gas. But can't say having that extra gallon could never come in handy. With EV's. Options are far more limited. For most, you can plan ahead and use Superchargers. But, depending on where you go, will determine if you might need the mobile charger more often. Just because some don't need it, doesn't mean that it's not necessary in a pinch for others. To say it's a ridiculous hyperbole is limited to your personal opinion. Where I go and my use needs, it was necessary far more often. I know I'm not the only one who owned a Tesla that has found a need for the mobile charger. Plus, for me personally, when arriving at my location, I certainly have no desire to go out of my way to wherever the supercharger is located, then sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to charge when I can simply take my mobile charger and plug it in at my destination. FAR, FAR, FAR more convenient, even if that's not a case where it's "necessary", sure as heck is appreciated in not wasting an extra hour of my time to drive to the charger, wait for the charge, then drive to my final destination. How you can think it's ridiculous that nobody would ever run short on range and not be close to a Tesla supercharger or public charging network is more ridiculous. Not recognizing the potential benefits and convenience is just being stubborn and ignorant to join those that defend Tesla in whatever they do, even when they're wrong. You probably were on board with them deciding to limit Performance owners to a certain number of "launches" with the cars they owned. Or removing features and charging for them again. One of the big reasons EV's still make up less than 5% of the cars on the road is simple convenience. Most people, 95%, don't want to spend the extra time it takes to charge, nor find a charger. Certainly, many are still concerned with range anxiety. Taking away that convenience does nothing to convince those staying away from EV's to make the switch.

I leave my windows down half the time too, should we just leave them out as well, since I don't always need them? I rarely ever "need" 300 miles in range. We saw how well EV's sold when all they offered was 75-90 miles in range. Everyone has their own use cases. I know, this is a Tesla site where people get offended with anything, not 100% positive, is said. I live in reality. My actions spoke louder than words in the fact that I owned several Tesla's for 9 years. Sure as heck doesn't mean they were perfect. They are great cars no doubt. Doesn't mean they can't be better. Those that do live in reality and view things for what they are will decide what works for them. As of today, 95% of those are choosing other options. The 5% will only carry the EV movement so far. Reality and improvement is what will help to continue to move the needle forward. Not just arguing that it's great, it's great, it's great, because it just is, it's just great......when it's really not that great for many people's use needs.
This response is deluded.

I’m no Tesla apologist. They have real problems that need attention and you sure don’t have to go very far back in my post history to find them. Dismissing the growing chorus of people who think you’re absurd with a blanket “lol you’re just a fanboi” response is weak sauce.

1,000 word manifestos on the inhumanity of moving away from $200 key fobs and EVSEs included by default on $50k+ cars is a meaningless sideshow. It’s completely immaterial to the purchase decision and ownership experience, as evidenced by the fact they sell every car they make in minutes with a months or years long waiting list. Tesla has sold the vast majority of their cars without key fobs since 2018. Nobody cares.

If you don’t like the decisions being made that’s certainly fine and you should go ahead and vote with your wallet. But spare us the pearl clutching and faux outrage.

If you don’t like the decisions being made that’s certainly fine and you should go ahead and vote with your wallet. But spare us the pearl clutching and faux outrage.
I already have. After 9 years in multiple Tesla's, I've moved on to the other options available. More already have and more will follow. Fortunately for the consumer, there are actual viable options available, now with many more coming. I will miss Tesla's supercharging network the 1 or 2 times per year I used them. Fortunately, there are many public chargers popping up all over the world to serve the rest. I'm always open-minded. IF, some day Tesla offers something that works for me again, will be happy to consider a Tesla again. As of now, this 9 year customer has been driven away.

And I only responded to you because you forced your opinion that it was ridiculous to think that anyone could ever "need" the mobile charger. Simply not true. Just because one person may not need it, doesn't mean that nobody needs it. There 8 pages to this thread. Some that say they have no need for fobs or chargers and others that agree with being disappointed that Tesla has removed them. As noted several times, for each person to decide what works for them. Rather than ridicule people for having an opinion and feeling passionately about it, just because you don't agree with it.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
It's Tesla decisions like this that remind me that Tesla's head has grown just too big.

Sell $100,000+++ car and cheap out by not including a $200 portable charger. Now, they're cheaping out further by no longer selling the Model S & X with a $175 key fob. This, despite knowing that the majority want a key fob, noting how many complained about the phone and key card being the only options for the Model 3.

Sure the $375 combined for these items can easily be afforded by anyone purchasing an S or X, but come on Tesla, it's decisions like this that just piss people off for no reason. Charge $375 more for the car if you have to. $100,000 price tag and up, nobody is going to notice. But they're going to notice that they don't have a way to charge the car when they get it home and that they have to deal with the PITA phone as a key or key card instead of a simple passive key fob that never requires a second thought.

Fortunately, not an issue for me as many of their prior decisions finally forced me out of a Tesla after 9 consecutive years in multiple Tesla's. But, even if I was still in the market for one, this is just about principle more than it is anything else. Especially on a $100,000++ car. Pisses me off and I'm not going to be impacted by it. Again, just the principle of it. It further drives a stake between myself and ever owning a Tesla again. What's next, the battery going to be sold separately too?

As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, but I believe that every other EV (besides Tesla's) on the planet sold, comes with a portable charger and a key fob. If not all, then certainly most.

I really do feel that Tesla is in for a rude awakening in the not too distant future. Others are catching up. With the economy slowing, buying habits are going to change (already are). That combined with now viable competitive alternatives available, Tesla's "because we can" attitude is going to have to change as customers will start saying "NO MORE".

For now, they still have more orders than what they can produce, so they don't give a crap. But, it will change. And not in the all that distant future.

Tesla Stops Selling Model S And X With Key Fobs

hahahha, that’s nothing! Here in Europe they sell model s/x without delivering a car since a couple of years back. No cars on the horizon and no upgrade path for us who want a new car. They simply doesn’t exist, only broken promises at this point. Many loyal buyers looking at alternatives now.

And I only responded to you because you forced your opinion that it was ridiculous to think that anyone could ever "need" the mobile charger. Simply not true. Just because one person may not need it, doesn't mean that nobody needs it.
This is, unsurprisingly, a mischaracterization of what I said - which was to respond to your claim that having a UMC with you in the car is “often necessary”. I stand by my statement that this is an absurd exaggeration.

This is, unsurprisingly, a mischaracterization of what I said - which was to respond to your claim that having a UMC with you in the car is “often necessary”. I stand by my statement that this is an absurd exaggeration.

If it makes a difference. I didn’t think your opinion was ‘forced’ on me. Possibly because I could choose to not read your right up. As an owner of a mobile charging cable that I’ve never used I may be in the minority though. 😉

OK, you win. Correction, "sometimes" necessary, "often" more convenient than going to find a charger and wait at the charger rather than just travelling straight to my destination and saving an hour. And that's for the cases when / if there is a supercharger reasonably close by. What's considered close? 10 miles on city streets? That's roughly 30 minutes of driving each way. Plus the charge time. That hour inconvenience becomes 1 1/2 hours. Considering that stopping to fill with gas for 5 minutes is considered an inconvenience, do you really think those people are going to consider an EV that now requires them to take 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes to "fill up", are going to be willing to make the switch. For me, and probably millions of others, time is valuable. For me, spending an extra 90 minutes to go charge is not an option, thus in my case, the mobile charger is necessary, at least in the respect that without it, I wouldn't be purchasing any EV. There are many, many, many areas in the country where Tesla chargers are 100 miles apart. What's your option then? Technically, yes, you could get by without "needing" the mobile charger. I don't about you or others, but for me, when I travel, I generally stay in the area where I'm at for a few days, which includes driving around for those few days. With no supercharger for 50 miles, I certainly need another option to charge. When I'm travelling, I don't have my HPWC installed at the place I'm staying at. So, genuine question, what's your option with an EV? Thus yes, I consider the mobile charger to be a necessity. I could make it work without it, but would be inconvenient as heck and would certainly result in many people simply choosing not to go with an EV.

With a handle like kizamybute (kiss my butt), you seem to have a lot of time writing lengthy arguments in a Tesla forum when you claim to own a Rivian and EQS. Are you here trying to justify your purchase? You keep saying “a lot” of people use UMC and Keyfobs many times. What is your source of information or is it opinion? If “a lot” means 2% of tesla owners and you put them all in a room, yes it’s a lot of people! We don’t know the data and only tesla does. They are a data company and knows better than any of us on what makes sense to them to improve their bottom line. I don’t care if you’ve owned 6 previous Tesla’s and that’s great. Contribute to the community or make the EQS and Rivian community better. Is there even a community with them? 🤔

I already have. After 9 years in multiple Tesla's, I've moved on to the other options available. More already have and more will follow. Fortunately for the consumer, there are actual viable options available, now with many more coming. I will miss Tesla's supercharging network the 1 or 2 times per year I used them. Fortunately, there are many public chargers popping up all over the world to serve the rest. I'm always open-minded. IF, some day Tesla offers something that works for me again, will be happy to consider a Tesla again. As of now, this 9 year customer has been driven away.

And I only responded to you because you forced your opinion that it was ridiculous to think that anyone could ever "need" the mobile charger. Simply not true. Just because one person may not need it, doesn't mean that nobody needs it. There 8 pages to this thread. Some that say they have no need for fobs or chargers and others that agree with being disappointed that Tesla has removed them. As noted several times, for each person to decide what works for them. Rather than ridicule people for having an opinion and feeling passionately about it, just because you don't agree with it.
If you moved away from Tesla, sounds like you went to a traditional automaker that offers options for nearly everything. Included in that list of options could be the MC and the key fob. Those OEMs also include heated seats, better sound system, exterior cameras, heated steering wheel, more leather inside, different colors, different seats, etc, etc, etc. Point being, they become options. Like how they've become with Tesla. So what's the problem?

With a handle like kizamybute (kiss my butt), you seem to have a lot of time writing lengthy arguments in a Tesla forum when you claim to own a Rivian and EQS. Are you here trying to justify your purchase? You keep saying “a lot” of people use UMC and Keyfobs many times. What is your source of information or is it opinion? If “a lot” means 2% of tesla owners and you put them all in a room, yes it’s a lot of people! We don’t know the data and only tesla does. They are a data company and knows better than any of us on what makes sense to them to improve their bottom line. I don’t care if you’ve owned 6 previous Tesla’s and that’s great. Contribute to the community or make the EQS and Rivian community better. Is there even a community with them? 🤔
kizamybute was voted president of the closet fanboy club yesterday, he loves everything Tesla but is trying to convince others he hates everything about Tesla to Justify the Rivian they regret buying.

So, genuine question, what's your option with an EV?
I've never had an issue finding a hotel with on-site or nearby L2 charging (preferred) or using a local supercharger.

Sure, you can always manufacture a scenario where you may "need" or have a strong convenience factor associated with having a UMC in the car. And again - the small minority of people who need or want that assurance can always buy a capable Tesla-branded EVSE for the bargain-basement price of $200.

It's Tesla decisions like this that remind me that Tesla's head has grown just too big.

Sell $100,000+++ car and cheap out by not including a $200 portable charger. Now, they're cheaping out further by no longer selling the Model S & X with a $175 key fob. This, despite knowing that the majority want a key fob, noting how many complained about the phone and key card being the only options for the Model 3.

Sure the $375 combined for these items can easily be afforded by anyone purchasing an S or X, but come on Tesla, it's decisions like this that just piss people off for no reason. Charge $375 more for the car if you have to. $100,000 price tag and up, nobody is going to notice. But they're going to notice that they don't have a way to charge the car when they get it home and that they have to deal with the PITA phone as a key or key card instead of a simple passive key fob that never requires a second thought.

Fortunately, not an issue for me as many of their prior decisions finally forced me out of a Tesla after 9 consecutive years in multiple Tesla's. But, even if I was still in the market for one, this is just about principle more than it is anything else. Especially on a $100,000++ car. Pisses me off and I'm not going to be impacted by it. Again, just the principle of it. It further drives a stake between myself and ever owning a Tesla again. What's next, the battery going to be sold separately too?

As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, but I believe that every other EV (besides Tesla's) on the planet sold, comes with a portable charger and a key fob. If not all, then certainly most.

I really do feel that Tesla is in for a rude awakening in the not too distant future. Others are catching up. With the economy slowing, buying habits are going to change (already are). That combined with now viable competitive alternatives available, Tesla's "because we can" attitude is going to have to change as customers will start saying "NO MORE".

For now, they still have more orders than what they can produce, so they don't give a crap. But, it will change. And not in the all that distant future.

Tesla Stops Selling Model S And X With Key Fobs
The last time I bothered looking, almost everything for a BMW, Mercedes or Audi was an option, often in packages that collided.
I'm not one that wants to carry a big bulky phone around everywhere I go. Commonly leave it in the car when out for short periods of time. Would much rather have a tiny little, smooth key fob that weighs nothing in my pocket that I never notice is there, than have to grab and carry my 6 inch x 4 inch phone everywhere.

And Tesla added the Key Fob option to the Model 3 because "most people" wanted them.
i use a CNICK key ring to lock/unlock my model 3 when i dont want my phone with me (e.g. when swimming). Waterproof and always on my hand .. beats a phone AND a key fob .

I've never had an issue finding a hotel with on-site or nearby L2 charging (preferred) or using a local supercharger.

Sure, you can always manufacture a scenario where you may "need" or have a strong convenience factor associated with having a UMC in the car. And again - the small minority of people who need or want that assurance can always buy a capable Tesla-branded EVSE for the bargain-basement price of $200.
Not "manufacturing" a scenario. Yes, many times you can find a hotel that has charging available. But the fact is, today, most still don't. I don't want to choose my hotels solely because they have a charger.

The condition of many willing to consider switching to an EV is that they are not inconvenienced to do so. I'm not one that wants to drive like grandma to extend range. I'm not one that wants to drive with the AC off to save range. I'm not one that wants to choose where I can and can't go because I drive an EV. It's a common scenario. This forum has only the tiniest fraction of EV owners interacting on it. The other millions of EV owners likely appreciate the convenience and/or necessity of having a charger available to them so that they never get stranded. You're arguing simply to make a point. If you truly have no need for it EVER, then great. Most will find or have a need for it multiple times during their ownership of the cars. Have had Tesla's for 9 years, a couple other EV's prior to that and new one's since. I only have one EV charger installed at home, yet currently have to EV cars. How do you think I charge the second car? With the charger that came with it.

Anyway, beating a dead horse here, Time to move on.