Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First no charger, now no key fob, what's next??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not "manufacturing" a scenario. Yes, many times you can find a hotel that has charging available. But the fact is, today, most still don't. I don't want to choose my hotels solely because they have a charger.

The condition of many willing to consider switching to an EV is that they are not inconvenienced to do so. I'm not one that wants to drive like grandma to extend range. I'm not one that wants to drive with the AC off to save range. I'm not one that wants to choose where I can and can't go because I drive an EV. It's a common scenario. This forum has only the tiniest fraction of EV owners interacting on it. The other millions of EV owners likely appreciate the convenience and/or necessity of having a charger available to them so that they never get stranded. You're arguing simply to make a point. If you truly have no need for it EVER, then great. Most will find or have a need for it multiple times during their ownership of the cars. Have had Tesla's for 9 years, a couple other EV's prior to that and new one's since. I only have one EV charger installed at home, yet currently have to EV cars. How do you think I charge the second car? With the charger that came with it.

Anyway, beating a dead horse here, Time to move on.
You are manufacturing. You dodged my question and use the term “a lot” a lot. You claim to know data that the rest of us and Tesla doesn’t. You speak as if you represent the Tesla customer base. I don’t know but I trust Tesla that they have the data to back their decisions.

Also please show a photo of your EQS and Rivian side by side in your driveway as I love both cars and want to see how you spec’d it.

7499F389-36F8-4CBA-A98C-B940CE562E89.jpeg

Tesla has no demand problem and as long as they continue to fund my disposable income, I support their product decisions.

You are manufacturing. You dodged my question and use the term “a lot” a lot. You claim to know data that the rest of us and Tesla doesn’t. You speak as if you represent the Tesla customer base. I don’t know but I trust Tesla that they have the data to back their decisions.

Also please show a photo of your EQS and Rivian side by side in your driveway as I love both cars and want to see how you spec’d it.

View attachment 831043

Tesla has no demand problem and as long as they continue to fund my disposable income, I support their product decisions.
Exactly. I see it as Tesla providing free vehicles for early stock adoption. But then again my glass is always half full.

View attachment 831043

The sky is blue!

FOBs
  • Never use with our newer cars. Had to with ‘17 S&X
  • Phone works 100% (once in a blue moon I have to submit a slight jig).
  • Key card in wallet.
  • Valet card hidden in car in sleeve with key ring for attendants to hang/identify.
  • Color matched to car and with Tesla logo. :)
Do not miss it. Would not pay for it. I can see others wanting and paying for them. Was not advertised as part of car. Tesla provides three other means to control car. Phone app. Phone as key (not the same). Key card. Third parties provide rings and watch apps.

Mobile Connector
  • Use as many days as I workx2.
  • We don’t have a charger at work but do have 240V 32A outlets where I park.
Need it. Would pay for it. I can see others not wanting nor paying for them. Was not advertised as part of car. But to me, it would be like buying a laptop and not getting the associated power brick.

Neither omission would sway my decision to buy or not buy car. Missing either could be a nuisance depending out your use case. Both solvable with a purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie and 2putt4
But to me, it would be like buying a laptop and not getting the associated power brick.
The only difference is that each laptop from HP (or any manufacturer) might use a different adaptor, but every Tesla uses the same type of charger, AND we get a choice between the mobile charger, HPWC, or third-party EVSE. So it actually makes sense not to dole one out with each and every vehicle. My M3 has never had the UMC plugged into it. Still brand new.

Moderator note: It's clear, after 9 pages of messages, that this issue means more to some people than to others, or means different things to different people. Please respect differing points of view, and be good to each other.

(not directed at the previous poster specifically, but everyone in general)

Thank you,

Bruce.

This whining over stupid stuff is what’s ridiculous, not that Tesla is making logical choices.

I have two Wall Connectors and my Model S Refresh Fobs are sitting in a junk drawer somewhere.
Well, that's fine for you, but since the shop has been refusing to send us the mobile connector that we ordered and they don't even have key fobs in the Model 3 shop anymore, I think being annoyed is justified. Don't know why they think people don't want to charge their car at home because the nearest supercharger is about a half an hour away. We live in a rural area so I am thankful that there is one that close at least. None in the town where I live though.

Reactions: brainhouston
Reactions: Art VandeIay