Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current firmware has an option to reduce the vampire load to about 1 mile of range loss per day, at the cost of a slower wakeup from sleep. I left the car with 218 km of "typical range" (a little over half full).

image.jpg

The current firmware has an option to reduce the vampire load to about 1 mile of range loss per day

Is this still true if the car cannot get a 3G connection? For example, you will often see increased power usage (and hence decreased battery life) on mobile phones when they're out of range, as they try to use more power to seek for a signal. I wonder if the car will wake up more often or stay up for longer while attempting to establish connection?

I'm told the Model S is smart enough to realise it has no comms, and stops trying, presumably to save even more power.

BTW, here's some footage from my visit to Amsterdam:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great adventure Steve, and good luck on the trip back.

The Oz Sigs have been delayed for at least 7 weeks by our acceptance of an offer to have the new Driver/Camera/Lane Departure/ Parking hardware, so I think it may be close run thing but probably you will get on the road first. And if you didn't get lane departure warning, it doesn't matter. in NZ there's so little traffic you can drive down the middle of the road, right?

Congrats again SW. Out of curiosity what made you choose the Netherlands(?) for purchase? Delivery time, cost or bit of both or other?
When I found out (a) no deliveries to NZ and (b) no 3rd row to Australia, I requested a UK reservation instead. It was at the suggestion of Tesla EU HQ that I took delivery in Tilburg with VAT-free EU pricing. Curious to know if this order will go through, as I heard the loophole had since been closed.

Congratulations Steve. My wife is from NZ and I've been there a number of times. It's a great country and I look forward to spending the summers there (during our winters) in my retirement. My brother-in-laws had never heard of Tesla when I recently got mine -- so you've got some educating to do!