Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
howd you do that and end up exactly at home?
I drove until the remaining range was close to half what it was when I left, turned around and drove back. At which point I had 12 k's left so kept going (too far, it turned out) and back again. It hit zero and at that point I turned off the climate control and drove very carefully the rest of the way.

So, Tesla tells us there is a 3 phase EVSE device in development due for release early next year.
I really wonder why they need to reinvent the wheel? All they need to do is adapt the circuits from a unit like this to fit the wall connector housing, and make it hard wired rather than socketed, and "development" is done.

They don't but they do need to certify for RCM mark. the legalilty of Steve install in Australia is a grey area. while a EVSE is not a declared device it does have declared devices as components i.e plugs and RCD. Safe electrical goods - NSW Fair Trading

Tesla may also want to increase the heat rating of the European models or the voltage ranges as while australia is on paper 230Volt nominal with 6% variation in many places its closer to 240V nominal with 6% variation.

heat rating is the mostly likely most of the European units only go to 40degree C with the better ones going to 50degree C while reducing the load to 16amps per phase.

Off topic but I though Australia was 10% variation. My hpwc reads at 248.5V (which is nice for charging..)
I'd hazard a guess that you are pretty close to the distribution transformer. If you are on a longish feeder the transformer has to be tapped high to avoid the volts being too low at the distant houses. Very hard to get perfect voltage for all when distribution transformers don't auto tap change.

So, Tesla tells us there is a 3 phase EVSE device in development due for release early next year.
I really wonder why they need to reinvent the wheel? All they need to do is adapt the circuits from a unit like this to fit the wall connector housing, and make it hard wired rather than socketed, and "development" is done.

They like their own branded products and good on them for it, they are stylish, but their current housing would not accommodate what is required to provide 3phase+neutral 400V~.

They don't but they do need to certify for RCM mark. the legalilty of Steve install in Australia is a grey area. while a EVSE is not a declared device it does have declared devices as components i.e plugs and RCD. Safe electrical goods - NSW Fair Trading

Tesla may also want to increase the heat rating of the European models or the voltage ranges as while australia is on paper 230Volt nominal with 6% variation in many places its closer to 240V nominal with 6% variation.

heat rating is the mostly likely most of the European units only go to 40degree C with the better ones going to 50degree C while reducing the load to 16amps per phase.

RCM is used in NZ too. Markings and labels | Energy Safety
However Energy Safe New Zealand is taking a "wait and see approach" with EVSEs and passing the responsibility of the safety of installation and components with the qualified installer. That means an EVSE must be installed by a registered electrician with a CPL. We then need to ensure the safety of the installation by testing and issuing the appropriate documentation.

Thanks Steve. I assume you will post the results here? Saves all of us yet to receive our cars doing the same!!!
Okay, so charging completed at 6:59pm with a range of 399km, i.e. 4:23 for a full charge.

But that's not the whole story. Here's what actually happened:

Charge curve.png

(I could only read off whole amps, so the power values are +/- 0.4kW.)

Thanks Steve. Interesting. I think I've seen the 85 KWH battery range stated at 460km. Do you have any idea why yours topped out at 399?
That's the difference between "rated range" and "typical range". There's a preference for choosing which conversion factor to use. I am finding (so far) that "typical" (~200Wh/km) is pretty close to what I'm seeing when I just drive the car and don't go out of my way to hypermile etc.

I leave Auckland on Wednesday morning around 9am, drive to Taupo, charge there @ 22kW till I'm full then carry on to Wellington. I'm in Wellington all day Thursday, then on the overnight ferry to Picton, then driving straight to Christchurch Friday morning. I'm driving back to Wellington on Monday Dec 1, staying the night, then driving back to Auckland via Ohakune on Tuesday. I'm sure I could pop into Te Awamutu on the 2nd, but it would be around 7pm.[/QUOTE]

That would be really cool of you. Good luck on the trip.

Nice work! 12.1 allowing for 400ms reaction time?

What other EVs were there?
Unfortunately no, the reaction time is already allowed for.

There were maybe 100 EVs of all shapes and sizes there.

I just drove from Christchurch to Picton in terrible weather, 6 degrees and bucketing down with rain. Got to the ferry with 16 k's left. Annoyingly the Tesla UMC doesn't like the grounding on the ship and won't charge. Luckily the charging station I'm using in Wellington is just a couple of k's from the ferry terminal.