Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also traded my 12/14 P85D for a P100D last month. For me the P100D is much quieter, better door seals with much less wind noise, A/C is greatly improved (quieter), sunroof version 3 is hugely better to me, motor milling noise is gone,and oscillating noise I had a certain highway speed is gone. The power difference of the P100D is not just off the line, it is much more satisfying with power available at highway passing speeds. My 90% range is 286 miles and 100% is 315.

I am really glad I did the upgrade. There have been some really impressively priced inventory cars cheaper than what I paid for my P85D. Looking right now I see one as low as $121k. I think there may have been a lot of P85D owners that also upgraded, there are currently 191 CPO P85Ds listed.

Bump! I can’t believe it’s been almost 4 years since the P85D black hole. And it actually has been more than 4 years since the dual motor and autopilot unveiling event which was on October 10, 2014. IMO, dual motor (performance especially) and autopilot really helped take Tesla from “as good as a gas car” to “much better than a gas car”. What an amazing 4 years it’s been for dual motor, autopilot, and Tesla in general!

Last edited:
Bump! I can’t believe it’s been almost 4 years since the P85D black hole. And it actually has been more than 4 years since the dual motor and autopilot unveiling event which was on October 10, 2014. IMO, dual motor (performance especially) and autopilot really helped take Tesla from “as good as a gas car” to “much better than a gas car”. What an amazing 4 years it’s been for dual motor, autopilot, and Tesla in general!

That’s the day I ordered my P85D... I was just hoping for an AWD Tesla then they went and threw in the Performance aspect and I was sold! Fond memories and it’s sure changed my life!

I also traded my 12/14 P85D for a P100D last month. For me the P100D is much quieter, better door seals with much less wind noise, A/C is greatly improved (quieter), sunroof version 3 is hugely better to me, motor milling noise is gone,and oscillating noise I had a certain highway speed is gone. The power difference of the P100D is not just off the line, it is much more satisfying with power available at highway passing speeds. My 90% range is 286 miles and 100% is 315.

I am really glad I did the upgrade. There have been some really impressively priced inventory cars cheaper than what I paid for my P85D. Looking right now I see one as low as $121k. I think there may have been a lot of P85D owners that also upgraded, there are currently 191 CPO P85Ds listed.

Yep... I'm one. Although I chose not to get the P. While the wild acceleration is certainly cool, for me, it just wasn't worth the extra costs and somewhat reduced range.

I honestly don't find the build that much different - other than the fact that it's a new vehicle, and not 4 years old. I suspect it will be more reliable, but that's to be proven. I really loved the P85D. It was/is an amazing machine.

We still love our fully optioned 2015 P85D+ a.k.a. P85DL with the Plus Suspension. We also added Ludicrous, LTE and Arachnid wheels which definitely makes it a Unicorn. :cool:

Since somebody's going to ask, I got the Plus from an eBay seller who was selling P85+ emblems.

Currently getting ~ 222 miles on a 90% charge at 41,000 miles.

P85DL+.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, has it been four years! I upgraded mine to Ludicrous and added LTE. I was planning on keeping it for a long time but somewhere along the line (in early 2017) I took a test drive in the P100D and for a variety of reasons (some of them stupid) I upgraded to the car you see in my avatar. It has an Xpel stealth wrap and dark 3rd party wheels (Ace Alloy AFF02). Fortunately my P85D was bought by another owner I know pretty well so I get to see it at nearly every meetup we have. Still love that original blue! Not posting a pic of my new car as I don't want to taint this thread about the original P85D.

edit: whoops, it appears I already responded to this thread about my upgrade.

We still love our fully optioned 2015 P85D+ a.k.a. P85DL with the Plus Suspension. We also added Ludicrous, LTE and Arachnid wheels which definitely makes it a Unicorn. :cool:

Since somebody's going to ask, I got the Plus from an eBay seller who was selling P85+ emblems.

Currently getting ~ 222 miles on a 90% charge at 41,000 miles.

View attachment 346877

CoORRECTION: Currently getting 224 miles on a 90% charge at 42,000 miles. Estimated miles went back up after being driven frequently again following sitting in ouf garage at 80% charge for 4 months while we were RV'ing across Canada and the northern U.S. Thrilled since 3 years / 40,000 miles since we bought our 2015 P85D+ we're only seeing a 3 mile decrease in range charging nighrtly to 90% at 60A / 240V with ~ 100 SuperCharger stops and a dozen 100% max range charges thrown in. Even got 200 actual miles on a LONG road trip leg between Page AZ and Blanding UT. Incredible battery life for a lightning fast sedan!

I remember Tesla not even being on my radar until dual motors were announced, psyching myself up to spend that kind of money (waiting long enough that they discontinued the dark green color I wanted), finally placing the order in late November 2014, and immediately finding this forum. The level of frustration around delays and poor communication was pretty incredible. I was glued to this thread, hoping to find some bit of useful information of what I'd gotten myself into. I was lucky in that my order had no problems and was delivered right on schedule (absent the next gen seats which were backordered). Of course within a couple months it all worked out and we got down to the serious business of hole shots and adoring our cars. Thanks for the bump, this really took me back!