Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Photo Of Inside The M3 Rhd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mark_T Elon is pretty convinced the instrument cluster won't matter in years to come with self driving and although he has done a U turn on some things, it doesn't happen very often (he's usually right). I have a model S at the moment with a 3 coming very soon and have FOMO about losing my instrument cluster.

The biggest thing I think I'm going to miss is the navigation element in the instrument cluster, which for complicated roundabouts and intersections really makes a difference.

The question is "Will it really matter if the car is doing all that for you?", but the more relevant question is probably "How long will that take?"

@Mark_T Elon is pretty convinced the instrument cluster won't matter in years to come with self driving and although he has done a U turn on some things, it doesn't happen very often (he's usually right). I have a model S at the moment with a 3 coming very soon and have FOMO about losing my instrument cluster.

The biggest thing I think I'm going to miss is the navigation element in the instrument cluster, which for complicated roundabouts and intersections really makes a difference.

The question is "Will it really matter if the car is doing all that for you?", but the more relevant question is probably "How long will that take?"
FSD will happen in the US sooner (much sooner) than in the UK, but even so, it will be several years and you can add several years on top for the UK because it will take that long for regulatory approval here. And you know, even with FSD, some of us like driving our cars :D

I wonder if an extra cost option for a behind the wheel instrument binnacle would be a seller? I think it would.

And all the artists impressions of the MS II show a much more driver-centric cockpit style dash.

For me though I'm still stuck on the lack of an instrument cluster, as long as it stays that way I'll never buy one.

have read of plenty of folk who said "Thought it would be weird" / "Was concerned I might hate it" who have become converts ...

Haven't read of any who have owned one who dislike it ... but lots of posts out there, and only so many that I have read :)

Are you sure you would hate it?

Whilst I too do exactly that I think moving it to main screen would be an advantage. Right now I get the "next turn" instruction and then I look at the map to see "how far" and "what is the junction arrangement" ... maybe I will find that I prefer all-in-one-place

you can add several years on top for the UK because it will take that long for regulatory approval here

Conjecture? You may be right of course ... :)

even with FSD, some of us like driving our cars

As and when FSD actually proves to be safer Insurance will become unaffordable for the rest. Insurance is all-risk averaged across all customers; under 25 group is a higher risk ... by the same token "self driving" will become a high risk group, as the number of such customers dwindles.

Might not be in your and my lifetime of course :( ... although improvements in AI have historically been exponential, so could also arrive way, way sooner than anyone is expecting.

Human Brain not very good at planning anything relating to Exponential growth / improvement, for example:

Bacteria in a jar are dividing / doubling every minute. Number in the jar is not important, just that "the jar will be full at midnight"

When do they panic? 2 minutes to midnight the jar is only a quarter full ...

At 1 minute to midnight they find 3 more jars - 3 times as much as all the space they have ever had. Those, too, are full by 2 minutes past midnight ...

I have a Raven Model X in the US. I am noticing that bc there is a giant screen next to me I am looking over there for navigation and barely looking at my dash instrument cluster. I look at the dash for autopilot cues bc it is new unfamiliar tech for me. But navigation is on both the dash and the big center screen - I look at the big center screen not the dash. I’m now convinced if the dash panel was gone like in a Model 3 I actually would not miss it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
BTW, i'm not saying that the M3 minimalist dash is a deal-breaker. I just prefer a more conventional arrangement. I could probably get used to it. The main problem for me with the M3 is the lack of a hatch. Having had a Seat Toledo many years ago, which had a huge boot (for a small-ish car) the limited access via a small bootlid, just like the M3, was a major headache. Someone on FB was joking that he hoped M3 buyers looking forward to collecting their cars this week were fully aware that there wasn't a hatch :D

So the Tesla alternative in the future would seem to be the Y, but I'm not keen on a taller design. That's why another used MS seems to be destined for our household in 3 years time. And having got used to the up-market MS environment, I'm damaged goods! :D

have read of plenty of folk who said "Thought it would be weird" / "Was concerned I might hate it" who have become converts ...

Haven't read of any who have owned one who dislike it ... but lots of posts out there, and only so many that I have read :)

Are you sure you would hate it?

Yep, 100% certain on that point.

I used to regularly drive one of the Mini's that had the centrally placed speedometer, hated it every time and apparently so did a large number of Mini customers as they gave up in the end and put the speedo back where it belongs :)

If FSD was a proven and usable fact then I probably wouldn't care all that much but we are still a long way from that point and right now being able to glance down briefly for speed and navigation information is a lot easier and safer than having to turn my head to one side and look for that same information on a large screen that isn't even facing directly at me.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I really don't see Tesla back-tracking on this. I'm not expecting to be fussed about the lack of a speedo at 12 o'clock. I suppose a HUD option would be the obvious solution for those who are bothered, but Tesla have never shown any interest in that.

Yes, the response from people in US, Canada and mainland Europe who have the Model 3 has been very positive regarding lack of instrument cluster / only the screen.

I sat in a LHD Model 3 in the Solihull showroom a few weeks back and thought the positioning of the screen was perfect. Very easy to see the speedometer.

Reactions: Roy W.
Yes, the response from people in US, Canada and mainland Europe who have the Model 3 has been very positive regarding lack of instrument cluster / only the screen.

I sat in a LHD Model 3 in the Solihull showroom a few weeks back and thought the positioning of the screen was perfect. Very easy to see the speedometer.

Indeed. It's nice being able to see the speed you're going whilst cornering without having to move your hands as well. I quite often find my hands obscure the speedo in my I-PACE unless I'm going in a straight line.