TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by lunitiks, Dec 25, 2016.

1. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

A bunch AP2.0-cars out, but not yet any pictures of the AP2.0-ECU.

So please be the 1st person to post images of the OEM Tesla Vision (Autopilot) 2.0 ECU "supercomputer".

99.9 % sure it's mounted in dashboard, above glove box (passenger side). You'll need to remove outer panels + glove compartment. A few clips, some screws and disengage glove box lighting. Check this video @21:40 for instructions:

Same location on S and X.

Would be extremely nice to verify (1) if it's liquid cooled, (2) which one it is of the Nvidia PX2 configs

• Disagree x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I thought most companies prefer to place their autonomous computer system in the trunk:

[​IMG]

• Funny x 9
  3. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Looks about right :cool:

4. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Seriously though, it's supposed to be in this general area:

Attached Files:

5. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I upgraded from a P85D to a P100D a few days ago, and I'm hearing additional fan noise from the front of the car. Behind the glovebox would not surprise me.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Very interesting. Try listening for fan noise after turning AC off

7. enzo

enzo Member

It's liquid cooled, so likely plugged into existing cooling circuit. (disclaimer- IANA engineer)

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I found it!!!!

Back to the Future DeLorean Comes to the Petersen Automotive Museum - OVERHEAD.jpg

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  9. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Speculation. So I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

10. Tam

Tam Active Member

#10 Tam, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Housing driverless system is quite a challenge for other companies but it seems so seamless for Tesla.

Ford has managed to replace their rotating LIDAR from the roof and placed LIDAR pucks to the sides.

[​IMG]

However, their computer system is still so massive in the trunk that it requires a separate power generator.

[​IMG]

It'll be interesting indeed to find out where Tesla has placed their system at.

If someone has a spare change, maybe you can pay for online documentations for service, parts, electrical diagrams...:

Welcome | Tesla Service

11. enzo

enzo Member

No, it was stated by Nvidia:
    Additionally, the schematic shows liquid cooling.
    Additionally, Nvidia implies that only the low-tier configuration is air cooled:
    Regardless, multiple PX 2 units consuming total 500+ W would require an extravagant air cooling solution which would take up a large volume. Further as stated in the warranty, the car is rated for ambient temperatures up to 60C, so the air cooling solution would need to be especially efficient (i.e. higher airflow and surface area). So why bother when the car already has cooling circuits...

12. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Hehe. I'm not at all disputing that Nvidia has built and sells a PX2 version that "needs" liquid cooling. Nvidias online bragging pictures and your YT vid shows exactly that.

However, neither Tesla nor Nvidia has confirmed anything about the cooling method of the PX2 that is mounted in AP2.0-Teslas.

Elon stated at his press conference at the AP2-release that the supercomputer in the AP2HW is capable of 12 trillion deep learning operations pr sec. That is only half the capability of the PX2 "For Fully Autonomous Driving" (24 DL TOPS). Namely, it's the capability of the PX2 "For Autochauffeur" - the mid version of Nvidias PX2 cards. Read for your self: Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2

And here's a pic of the air cooled version at a Korean CES 2016-demo:

[​IMG]

Anyway, no point in arguing over what boils down to pure speculations anyway, since no one has actually seen the thing.

So back to topic: .... crickets ....

• Informative x 2
  13. enzo

enzo Member

Well I think this is interesting, so I will speculate while we wait for the teardown. It was stated in the Nvidia presentation that it needs liquid cooling due to vehicles' wide operating conditions. A tech demo thrown together for a presentation is hardly evidence that the same chip can be put into a car with air cooing. There is enough evidence for me to place my bets on this.

• Like x 1
  14. andrewket

I pick up my car from the detailer tomorrow and plan to re-install a dashcam. I'll poke around a little while I have some of the trim off.

• Like x 1
  15. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Ok mr high stakes, I'm all in!

• Like x 1
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Here's a pic that allows liquid cooling and explains fan noise:
    [​IMG]

17. bjornb

bjornb Member

#17 bjornb, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
    I received my AP2 car just before Christmas, after conversing with @lunitiks I noticed that there is a fan like noise behind the dash on the passenger side of the car.
    Today I removed the small passenger side dash cover to take a peek inside:
    2016-12-30 13.36.43.jpg

It was difficult to take pictures through the small openings, but there is a module there, its about an inch thick or so, and there seems to be at least one fan on the top of the unit:
    2016-12-30 13.39.06 (Large).jpg
    2016-12-30 13.37.24 (Large).jpg
    2016-12-30 15.20.49 (Large).jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 4
  18. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

And I can tell you, that thing is not there on my AP1.0 car ;) (I've looked.)

Now we'll just have to wait for someone to go all the way with the teardown :)

Super cool @bjornb thanks a lot!

19. andrewket

The fan noise is unfortunately quite noticeable.

20. Pecos Bill

Pecos Bill Member

I hate fan noise. That's a shame. Too bad they couldn't enmesh it with the car cooling