Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post - I bought a Tesla after 10 years of dreaming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got locked out. My son (10 months old) was in the car and I didn’t have the mobile app login as I had only had the car 3 days. The car shouldn’t lock when the keys are in the car! Had to smash the window! Spend $500 and had to drive 3 hours back and forth to get it fixed. Dumb thing for a smart car to do.
I’ve had the car lock with the keys and my phone inside previously so would never trust it to remain unlocked again despite what others are saying.

Hi mate. Did you try pushing the drivers door handle? That should make the handle pop out.
The handles will go flush after a few minutes, even if the car is unlocked with the key inside, but pushing the drivers handle will cause them to pop out again.
I’ve noticed sometimes the rear handle doesn’t respond to pressing. Perhaps you were only pressing a rear handle if your son was in the back seat?
tried every door handle a couple of times and tried the boot. my phone was near the keys and from what I have read this can cause interference although never happened in any other car I have owned. I also called Tesla roadside who didn't answer in time and called me back about 20 minutes after the event. explained there situation to me, they had no answer, the American lady and the Brisbane and Sydney Tesla centres were very concerned about my son but didn't take any responsibility or advise why it happened. I had to pay $500 for a new window and asked if anything could be done, they gave me a new battery for my fob :(

When I am going to a supercharger I've never been to, I turn on the satellite view overlay and zoom in on the destination and make sure I can see the location of the chargers within the parking lot. Helps avoid frustrations.

Also, on that breaking the window thing - I've sold a few teslas and I tell the buyers to get the car in their name as quick as possible, but in the meantime to call me if they need something done with the app (like unlocking the car remotely!) and I'll do it for them.
sorry about your $500

The dealership I bought it from didn't have the app installed they new very little about the car, the money wasn't really the issue as I bought this car and its not exactly cheap. It was the concern of seeing my son getting upset that he was inside and I was outside. I also thought what if I stopped on the side of the road and locked myself out where I did not have phone reception? Would I just have to wait for a passing motorist to give me a lift to the nearest town or smash the window again! The issue for me is this is a simple fix, don't automatically lock the car for at least 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure this would take someone at Tesla very little time to add as an update so that people like me who are now living in lockout fear could turn it off. Maybe its an American thing? I know that here in Australia I have never had the thought - wow lucky the car locked itself that's a handy feature!

Last edited:
ah but it does. I will post a video I can make it do it and have repeated the issue in the garage.
Noticed further up you said your phone was next to the fob. That can definately cause issues. Have you tried leaving your keys in the car without the phone next to them, and see if you can unlock?
I just tried my car because I thought maybe tesla changed it in an update. I locked the keys in, and pressed a door handle and it opened.

I will try without the phone this afternoon. I suspect its the Volvo key thats on the same keyring is causing the interference as sometimes I return to the car and it won't open until I take the keys out of my pocket.
I have, however, found when I have the fob and phone in the same pocket and the phone is between the fob and car, the car won't unlock. any metal will act as a Faraday cage in this way; wrap the fob in two layers of aluminum foil to totally disable it.

I will try without the phone this afternoon. I suspect its the Volvo key thats on the same keyring is causing the interference as sometimes I return to the car and it won't open until I take the keys out of my pocket.
Might also be worth seeing if your second fob behaves in the same manner, just to remove a fob fault from the list. As Ray said the phone is an issue, as is a nearing flat fob battery. I now replace my fob battery annually, regardless.

ah but it does. I will post a video I can make it do it and have repeated the issue in the garage.
Yep - it really does lock if you're not careful. I did it to myself at the Coffs supercharger a couple of weeks back on a 2017 75D with recent software.

Was early in the morning having a snooze in the car while charging so decided to manually lock the doors via the screen. Jumped out to unplug and door slammed in wind. Keys, phone and wallet all exposed in car. Much to my surprise manually opening the door from inside had not cancelled the locked state. Would not unplug or unlock.

Note that passive entry was also disabled so the car may also not have been sensing key proximity.

Passerby let me phone home and my wife called Tesla Service who put her through the wringer on security questions etc, and they remotely unlocked the car within 20 minutes. No need for broken window. Many thanks to Service!

Probably should retest all the individual factors including phone proximity, but I think the root cause is that the locked state did not cancel on opening door from inside as expected on most cars regardless where the key is. Come to think of it maybe that is probably reportable bug as is I can't think of a case for the current behaviour. Can't properly test anything at present as away from car for few weeks.

Seems like no one has tried this solution. If anyone around you has a phone and is willing to let you use it, you should be able to download the Tesla app and login in then unlock the car. Unless the car is out of cellular range...
Exactly this.
There is nothing magical about your own phone, you can just download and login to the app using anyone's phone.
Just remember to delete the app off their phone when you're done!

Seems like no one has tried this solution. If anyone around you has a phone and is willing to let you use it, you should be able to download the Tesla app and login in then unlock the car. Unless the car is out of cellular range...
The problem is tesla will not give you app access when you buy the car second hand until you can submit rego papers in your name, so this would not have solved the issue.

• Love
Reactions: Petergarrett38
I appreciate the responces! You guys are all saying the things that have been going round in my head! I really love this car everyday I love it more. They are fantastic cars, the instant power, autopilot, the way they feel to drive, the no emissions the list goes on and on. I am totally satisfied with my purchase and I now feel welcomed and part of a community of other clever people who own these clever cars.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Would be good if Tesla would allow creating logins for individual cars on an account, then the seller could just setup and you could use this login till the car is moved to your own account. This would also help rental customers and parents with kids etc.
I think tesla are likely not keen on accidently giving someone access to a car that they potentially don’t own.

I think tesla are likely not keen on accidently giving someone access to a car that they potentially don’t own.

Tesla is giving someone access to a car they don't own.... I'm in the middle of the process. I paid the owner, paid the bank, and the bank is in the process of releasing the lean. However the State process will send the title to the original owner, which can take 30 days. The owner has given me possession of the car, and receipt of purchase. I also have power of attorney to request the title duplicate titles and change the name. However even with all this Tesla wont move the car to my account and it remains in the previous owners account.

So technically Tesla is giving someone access to a car they do not own....

Last edited:
Reactions: Petergarrett38
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant Tesla to provide the option for owners to create sub accounts (not Tesla create multiple owner accounts) that allow limited access to cars/features on the account. Owners would need to create and manage their own so not Tesla directly.

Obviously this is not easy but I am sure I am not the first to think of this.

It would also be good to limit functionally eg. Only allow media control, climate control, or chill/valet mode etc (maybe lock to a certain driver profile). With the recent addition of media control to the app lots of people suggested it would be good to allow limited access somehow in the app, especially so backseat passengers (kids) could change songs (or better request songs) from the app.