Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post- looking to buy one of these!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happened to stumble across one of these for sale when looking at a Lotus Elise. The more I looked, the more I liked. So I've done 6 months of research all packed into the last week. Most of what I've learned has come from reading all the forum posts.

The person selling it is trying to get the service history from Tesla; I'm assuming this is going to happen, but from what I've read it many not. So...

Is the CAC of the battery pretty much the most important factor? The car is a 2010 with around 40,000 miles and looks to be in perfect shape. Does a good CAC number mean the battery is in good shape and should be good for many more years? Like I said, I may get the service history of the car, but assuming I can't, anything else to look for other than the usual when buying a "normal" car; I don't mean that in an insulting way, I've just never considered one of these before. I've owned many sports car from many different companies (all gas engines of course), but this one seems very cool.

thank you very much,

Rick

Reactions: Mark77a
I happened to stumble across one of these for sale when looking at a Lotus Elise. The more I looked, the more I liked. So I've done 6 months of research all packed into the last week. Most of what I've learned has come from reading all the forum posts.

The person selling it is trying to get the service history from Tesla; I'm assuming this is going to happen, but from what I've read it many not. So...

Is the CAC of the battery pretty much the most important factor? The car is a 2010 with around 40,000 miles and looks to be in perfect shape. Does a good CAC number mean the battery is in good shape and should be good for many more years? Like I said, I may get the service history of the car, but assuming I can't, anything else to look for other than the usual when buying a "normal" car; I don't mean that in an insulting way, I've just never considered one of these before. I've owned many sports car from many different companies (all gas engines of course), but this one seems very cool.

thank you very much,

Rick
Good luck and you get a very close approximation of the CAC by looking at ideal miles after a normal (standard) charge. If the CAC is above 135 and/or ideals miles above 170 you would be in good shape. It is just hard to know the life of the pack. I think it is safe to say 10+ years.

• Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8
CAC is important but the version number is also important. People on this forum like owning all three versions but the higher the version, generally the more money it commands. In 2010 they made versions 2.0 and 2.5. Sport versions also usually bring more money.

CAC is important but the version number is also important. People on this forum like owning all three versions but the higher the version, generally the more money it commands. In 2010 they made versions 2.0 and 2.5. Sport versions also usually bring more money.

I found information on the different versions. Is there some overlap or mixing and matching when they went from the 2.0 to the 2.5? The car I looked at has the bumpers and front emblem from the 2.5 (I personally like the 2.5 front bumper much better with it sort of continuing around the bottom of the opening), but has the single DIN stereo (which is from the 2.0?). I assume the change from 2.0 to 2.5 happened over a number of VIN's and not necessarily from one VIN to the next, so all the changes did not happen from one car to the next? Not overly important to me, but interesting.

I found information on the different versions. Is there some overlap or mixing and matching when they went from the 2.0 to the 2.5? The car I looked at has the bumpers and front emblem from the 2.5 (I personally like the 2.5 front bumper much better with it sort of continuing around the bottom of the opening), but has the single DIN stereo (which is from the 2.0?). I assume the change from 2.0 to 2.5 happened over a number of VIN's and not necessarily from one VIN to the next, so all the changes did not happen from one car to the next? Not overly important to me, but interesting.
The double-din radio was an option on the 2.5. It wasn’t standard, so some (most) have it, but a few don’t. Essentially, there were maybe 500 2,5’s and about 80% had the upgraded stereo, from what I recall.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
The double-din radio was an option on the 2.5. It wasn’t standard, so some (most) have it, but a few don’t. Essentially, there were maybe 500 2,5’s and about 80% had the upgraded stereo, from what I recall.

Of the 501 2.5's produced, just 13 of those cars were built without the Double-DIN navigation in the dashboard.

I really appreciate all the great information. So the car I'm looking at may be a 2.25 then. It is a 2010, with:
- the 2.5 bumpers
- 2.0 forged black wheels (not turbine blade ones)
- single DIN stereo/NAV
- carbon fiber dash trim and sill covers

The service history and status report is coming from Tesla so I'll know more soon.

Rick

Can you share the VIN?

Yes. I've done a lot of digging and found some history on the car. It is VIN 938, originally bought by stenkb (looks like he hasn't posted in over a year). Car was damaged in a parking lot, repaired, almost traded in on a model S, then either traded in or sold at a dealership around 2013/2014. Then it was sold again in 2017 with "upgrades"; not sure what exactly but I think a new battery. The report I'm getting on it will tell me. Seems like the 2.5 bumper and carbon fiber stuff was added during/after the repairs, so I suppose it is a 2.0 car.

For what it's worth, my 2.0 has the front and rear cosmetics of the 2.5 model. They were changed by the original owner, per TEG's excellent photo archive; it was not manufactured that way by Tesla.

Just to keep this up to date, I did not end up buying this car. Nothing wrong with it as far as I know, but the dealer was taking a long time to get the car inspected by Tesla and get a report back. While I was waiting I found another one for sale that was a really perfect car and bought it. It is the same color and 1 VIN off the one I was looking at (both Canadian cars). Mine is 939 which is in perfect condition including the battery (CAC is 148) and has many upgrades and options.

Absolutely love driving it!

Rick

Yes, I think it is an amazing car....extremely well looked after. It is a little farther than that from you now. It is in Bolton. So about 45 minutes on a good day or 2 hours on the day I picked it up. The first guy that pulled up beside me and asked me how long I've owned it seemed confused when I said "about 15 minutes".

• Funny
Reactions: Story