Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First PowerWall2 installed in Houston TX.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you doing this as part of the SGIP program? If so, I think some of that is due to restrictions on the various incentive programs. (Things like that you are required to charge at least x% from onsite renewable, i.e. solar, resources.)

Yes I'm trying for SGIP but was planning on claiming only 80% of the 30% ITC credit (24% total credit) so that I could charge 20% from grid at night and the rest from solar. But since I'm forced to charge from solar only I'll be planning on claiming the full 30% ITC.

Yes I'm trying for SGIP but was planning on claiming only 80% of the 30% ITC credit (24% total credit) so that I could charge 20% from grid at night and the rest from solar. But since I'm forced to charge from solar only I'll be planning on claiming the full 30% ITC.

Make sure you declare that on your SGIP application since it should impact your rebate amount.

I thought that SGIP had restrictions too. After it is named Self Generation....

I find that installers who provide SGIP rebate jack up their install cost estimate compare to Tesla Energy/Solar City's install cost without SGIP rebate. Has this been everyone's experience as well? I received an estimate for two PW2 installation cost from SC for $15K without SGIP and estimates from other installers for $19K-21K who offer SGIP rebates. So for the same design installation, others are charging $4K-$6K more simply because I'll receive the SGIP incentive.

I find that installers who provide SGIP rebate jack up their install cost estimate compare to Tesla Energy/Solar City's install cost without SGIP rebate. Has this been everyone's experience as well? I received an estimate for two PW2 installation cost from SC for $15K without SGIP and estimates from other installers for $19K-21K who offer SGIP rebates. So for the same design installation, others are charging $4K-$6K more simply because I'll receive the SGIP incentive.

This is a Houston thread. There is no SGIP in Houston.

I’m definitely thinking about it! I got a solid proposal from Tesla, but it’s not quite in the ballpark of the other installer I’m considering. They’re working to see what they can put together to match the price, and hopefully I should know more tomorrow.

Looks like your system is pretty close to what I'd like to have in an ideal world (not sure whether I want to do the PWs yet, but definitely would like to have 2-3 at some point in the future to provide for at least a day of energy in the event of a future hurricane/power outage), so would love to hear more about your impressions since you've had it installed.

How exciting!

Please do follow up and tell us whether PowerWall makes any HVAC noise.

Congratulations!
Yes, it has fans, but no compressor for cooling. Furthermore, since PowerWall 2's prefer approximately room temperature, it's best if somehow you have them in a utility closet that is partially part of the building's conditioned envelope in terms of temperature, but not in terms of air quality (since you don't want the PW2's exhaust of their electronics feeding into the breathable air). Also, since you want fire walls between you and the PW2, and you also want not to hear their fans, you don't want the PW2's mounted near to living areas. PW2 is built to exist outside or inside a utility closet or garage. I think the best compromise is usually something like a well insulated or shaded far side of a garage, or shed, away from any living quarters.

Ours make a slight noise when under load, and a heavy noise on hot days. Since it's nowhere near any living areas, it doesn't bother us. My main problem is that I think due to them being outside, they have to struggle a bit harder with a bit more wear and tear in the summer months, and they have to expend extra energy heating up in the cool times. Even so, I haven't noticed huge degradation or problems in service, yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
The Powerwall 2 has liquid thermal management, so at a minimum it has pumps and fans. I'm not sure if it has active cooling/heating or not. I put mine in the garage, and they're a lot quieter than my EV's are when they charge. The fans only kick in under load, and they're variable speed, but even with my stack dumping 15kW into the house, they're not obnoxious in terms of tone. If they were mounted on an outside bedroom wall, I think they'd be fine. An A/C compressor is certainly much louder. I concur that they ought to be placed indoors in this climate if possible, or otherwise well-shaded, to maximize longevity.

My impression of the Powerwalls is that they just work. If you have enough of them to handle peak current demands, and enough solar to keep them charged, you can run off the grid quite easily. I've gone as much as six days with the grid disconnected, still charging my car, cooking, running A/C, etc., with cooperating weather. With crap weather I could still go indefinitely off-grid and keep some lights and the refrigerator and a couple other minor things running, but it will not be a luxury lifestyle.

If Tesla wants to use Delta solar inverters on your job, run away. I have two of them, and one has partially failed twice (in just a few weeks each time) and the other one has issues. It takes months to get through the support process to get replacements.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Welps, so much for getting a competitive quote from Tesla. I gave them a chance to match a proposal I received from one of the well-established local guys, and they wouldn’t come close to the price after incentive from one of the retail electric providers for one of their preferred installation partners (or even the headline price for that matter). I don’t mind paying a premium for quality, but the tangible factors from Tesla just weren’t anywhere close to the other proposal I’ve got in hand (and they were light years away from the smoking deal OP got - wish I had been in the market when he was!).

For our 44 panel/4 PW system late last year in the Houston area, we used Hays Energy Services, who is a Tesla-approved installer.

They are a solar subsidiary of a commercial electrical contractor, which worked well for us, because they had to do a lot of electrical wiring/box work to add the new solar/PW system to our existing electrical installation.

We were very satisfied with the work they did - the system has operated without any installation-related problems (we had a software issue with our solar panel monitor, which has been corrected by the manufacturer).

They should be able to install a PW2 if you already have one - and, if you don't, they should be able to order one and then install it.

Reactions: kash