TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First production or wait for awd?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by thorg12, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thorg12

    thorg12 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2015
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    newtown, pa
    i live in Pa. non owner. Reserved in oct2016
    my dates are April/may/nov
    My question is 54k -7.5k tax credit =46.5 for rwd premium with ap and long range. In April ish
    Or wait for awd in nov ish for awd, premium, ap, and smaller battery= 48.5k (~3.5k for awd)

    I have an older SUV that I could keep but wonder what is worth more down the road the larger battery or awd and which I will need more.
    I have always had a Subaru awd or SUV.
    Thanks for looking
     
  2. flamingoezz

    flamingoezz Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2016
    Messages:
    316
    Location:
    NJ
    Depends on your situation. I live in NJ and planned on rwd, but my wife has an SUV and works from home in snow and such, so I could use her car in inclement weather.

    If it is your only car, and waiting doesn't affect your tax credit tier, I'd probably wait. If not, its more a matter of how anxious you are ;)
     
  3. boaterva

    boaterva Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2016
    Messages:
    1,304
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's a bit of tough call, especially on the tax credit and 'weather' in your location (or 'need' for regen and performance!). We have two res's, and one is to replace a 10 year old Scion. We're definitely taking First Production for that one! :D The second, I'm either waiting for AWD to replace my 8 year old BMW or getting an X. The tax credit will be fine for the first, and iffy (for 100%) for the second. In Northern Virginia, snow has been very light or zero the last few years. So, you can see how the factors play into my decision-making!
     
  4. thorg12

    thorg12 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2015
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    newtown, pa
    Yeah that's the issue. I think I'll only get full credit with first priduction and maybe nothing for awd.
    Wanna make sure I can resell when next itch gets me.
     
  5. sdugan99

    sdugan99 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2017
    Messages:
    10
    Location:
    elkridge, md
    I am in about the same situation as you with Timing. In Maryland but will be keeping my 2007 Tundra, so will have that for the 1 or 2 snow days of the year. Going to go with first production.
     
  6. sports4eva115

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2016
    Messages:
    132
    Location:
    SoCal
    I'm struggling with this too, had hoped that AWD will start rolling out early this year, not mid. That cuts it super close with the full tax credit "deadline".
    AWD is definitely just a "nice to have" for most people living in CA. Extra acceleration and being able to go snowboarding without having to put on chains are all +'s, but not sure if that's worth the potential $4K for AWD + $3750 tax credit hit....
     
  7. kengchang

    kengchang Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    That's the dilemma I am having too, I want AWD to go to Mammoth lol.
     
  8. CarlitoDoc

    CarlitoDoc Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2016
    Messages:
    273
    Location:
    Yakima, WA
    For me, its a similar situation (Central WA) as we get our fair share of snow. My reservation puts me a lot later for AWD, but, I have an SUV (Honda pilot 2014) that I may end up keeping as a family hauler/winter trips car. That is why I am considering just getting the RWD......decisions, decisions......
     
  9. Stolz25

    Stolz25 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2017
    Messages:
    323
    Location:
    Tulsa, ok
    You should definitely wait for AWD. All of you should wait for AWD.
     
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  10. Sdunnin

    Sdunnin Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2015
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Edwardsville, IL
    Yes, same dilemma here. My delivery estimates are Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 for first production and Sep - Nov 2018 for AWD. Really wanted to get the AWD but I'm afraid I'd miss out on much if not all of the tax credit. After thinking about it some more I've come to the realization that I simply cannot wait another year and that I will probably opt for the RWD and given the fact that in Southern Illinois there's really only a handful of winter weather driving days anyway. Also without knowing anything about the AWD or even performance version for that matter I have no idea what kind of extra acceleration I would be holding out for anyway. 5.1 sec 0-60 is no slouch and I could live with that.

    I might even put in another reservation right after ordering the RWD and then trade up to the AWD in a year or so when that order can be filled.
     
  11. jtpassat

    jtpassat Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2015
    Messages:
    128
    Location:
    Providence, RI
    I'm on the same boat here in Rhode Island. I'm going to take the wait and see approach.
     
  12. Sandiegodoug

    Sandiegodoug Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2017
    Messages:
    96
    Location:
    SAN Diego
    Already have a x 100d so rwd is fine for me.
    Only decision I need to make is 35k model or 50k one
     
  13. kwest2

    kwest2 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2017
    Messages:
    21
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    I'm in Boston and have basically convinced myself to just get the RWD due to the incremental cost + loss in federal tax incentive risk. Plus RWD in Tesla's is actually more than serviceable for snow. I found this thread at M3OC to be very helpful.

    Worried About Snow? Don't Dismiss Getting Rear Wheel Drive!
     
  14. Trips

    Trips Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2015
    Messages:
    384
    Location:
    Omaha, NE
    I am in a similar situation and my answer is clear.

    Get AWD: Lose $3,750 in tax credit + extra ~$4,500 AWD cost for a total cost of $8,250. Since it would be my only vehicle I would get the larger battery for a total of $17,250 difference. Positive is that it would be quicker and great for road trips.

    No AWD and keep SUV ($6,00 cost on 7 year old with 35k miles): Save $17,250 on the car, have a second known reliable vehicle, have extra room, towing and easy long distance travel.
     
  15. Garlan Garner

    Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2016
    Messages:
    5,224
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    AWD all the way for me. I want all of the above mentioned benefits plus: MORE REGEN!!!.
     
  16. sports4eva115

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2016
    Messages:
    132
    Location:
    SoCal
    do u think 4K is worth not having to put on snow chains (+incremental range, regen, handling, 0-60)? GF is making the case for RWD....
     
  17. kengchang

    kengchang Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    Usually it isn't that bad but if this upcoming season is the same as last, AWD is going to be so helpful. 395 was in snow/ice the whole way past Bishop.
     
  18. sports4eva115

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2016
    Messages:
    132
    Location:
    SoCal
    dang.... reverse situation for me, last season we skipped mammoth and went to heavenly instead. The road was completely ice/snow free but they still required us to put chains on/AWD it, so it was just miles and miles of chains on asphalt...
     
  19. kengchang

    kengchang Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    I think two three years ago I went to Squaw Valley and had to put on chain the last 60 miles. Suddenly an hour left became more than two hours, that sucked. That's why I am leaning toward AWD even though I will lose $3750 in Fed credit and I plan to keep this car for a long time.
     
    • Informative x 1
  20. miggz410

    miggz410 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2016
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bay Area, California
    I'm also in the same dilemma... Regret not getting the D on my S, and hoping to get it on the 3... Jun-Aug18 Dual Delivery, I'm afraid that I might not get the full tax credit if I wait that long.
     

Share This Page